Blackberry is supposed to have "push" e-mail functionality, but often I don't get my Comcast mails for 20 minutes or more. My gMails come much faster, as do those coming into my work account (not enterprise; just a godaddy-hosted domain).

Question: If I go to a touchscreen phone like a Droid, will it get worse, or be about the same?
    Last edited by leftcoaster; 06-12-10 at 09:02 PM.
    06-12-10 08:56 PM
    some email providers chose not to support push in the first place, or make it difficult to set it up. sounds like Comcast is one of those.
    06-12-10 09:39 PM
    some email providers chose not to support push in the first place, or make it difficult to set it up. sounds like Comcast is one of those.
    That would make sense. Damn. thanks.
    06-12-10 10:03 PM
    You could always import other accounts through gmail, it works pretty easily and very well. This will allow you to have those emails as push on your device.
    06-12-10 10:04 PM
    You could always import other accounts through gmail, it works pretty easily and very well. This will allow you to have those emails as push on your device.
    Import as in forward? I'm not sure what you mean ...
    06-12-10 10:27 PM
    Do you mean import them through the gmail portal on the device?
    06-12-10 10:30 PM
    If you to go the web version of gmail and then you go to settings then accounts it will ask if you want to import an account, you can do that and you can then manage all your mail through that one main account.
    06-12-10 10:35 PM
    Two ways. You can set your Comcast account to forward to Gmail.

Or you can give Gmail the POP information for your Comcast account and Gmail will check Comcast for you. However, Gmail doesn't ping Comcast repeatedly so the lag may be just as long with the second message as waiting for Comcast to push them to the phone.

I use the first method. ALL my email accounts forward to my Gmail account, makes for the simplest email handling. Gmail will also SEND from those accounts if you tell it to allowing to reply with the same address someone sent to you, even through Gmail.
    Last edited by tandaina; 06-12-10 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Dang sloppy fingers!
    06-12-10 10:39 PM
    Comcast email is POP3, not IMAP. So you will only have polling every 5-15 minutes for new emails, rather than instant like IMAP. It is a limitation of the POP3 protocol, not the BlackBerry.
    06-12-10 11:13 PM
    Question: If I go to a touchscreen phone like a Droid, will it get worse, or be about the same?
    Android will not be any faster for the Comcast emails, since Comcast uses POP3. No device will be able to overcome the limitations of the protocol.
    06-12-10 11:21 PM
    Yes. Comcast only has POP3 as an option, not IMAP.
    06-12-10 11:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD