Since the browser uses a secure connection to RIM's servers, does that make is secure on public wifi? I've read conflicting posts about it.
    03-22-12 07:31 PM
    I'm curious about this too? What info can be seen?
    03-22-12 07:51 PM
    When on Wi-Fi, the BlackBerry browser does not use RIM's NOC. This can be verified by using a BlackBerry on Wi-Fi that does not have a current data plan, yet can still browse. The NOC's main purpose is to compress the data stream, which really isn't needed on a Wi-Fi connection.

The rest of the BlackBerry apps (BBM, Facebook, Twitter, E-Mail, etc.) will still use RIM's NOC via the Wi-Fi connection however, and that connection uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
    TheSilentOne, Chrisy and linuxbbm like this.
    03-22-12 08:19 PM
    I'm hoping so... Definitely following this thread.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    03-22-12 08:20 PM
    I'm hoping so... Definitely following this thread.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    A good response is already posted above. No, the connection is not secure when you are surfing the web on a router wifi. If I own the router, I have the direct access to the network, therefore, RIM has nothing do with it. You can use your phone without a BIS plan on wifi because wifi doesn't use RIM servers.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-23-12 12:13 AM
    You're better off treating any unprotected WiFi network the same way, regardless of what you're surfing the web on. Don't use the internet for things like online banking or anything where any non-publicly available personal information is transferred. Don't make transactions either.

Would you not wear protection after taking home a random girl from the bar? Treat an open wireless network like that.

JB
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-23-12 06:36 AM
    A good response is already posted above.

Thanks for pointing that out.
    03-23-12 10:44 AM
    When on Wi-Fi, the BlackBerry browser does not use RIM's NOC. This can be verified by using a BlackBerry on Wi-Fi that does not have a current data plan, yet can still browse. The NOC's main purpose is to compress the data stream, which really isn't needed on a Wi-Fi connection.

The rest of the BlackBerry apps (BBM, Facebook, Twitter, E-Mail, etc.) will still use RIM's NOC via the Wi-Fi connection however, and that connection uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
    Thanks and yes i have tested it myself, and its correct
    Good reply.
    03-23-12 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD