I created two totally separate Gmail accounts -- one for "private"
    correspondence and the other for "public." Both are integrated with BIS.

I've been exchanging mail with someone using my "public" address, but they received delivery receipts from both addresses... thus revealing my "private" address! The delivery notices are being generated by BIS even though I'm not using my BlackBerry to write mail (only get notifications and read).

I don't want my real name revealed for privacy reasons! How can I prevent this from happening?

Additional Info:
    - In my BlackBerry I have "Confirm Delivery" and "Confirm Read"
    disabled.
    - Gmail doesn't offer any receipt feature.
    - From my home PC, I log in to each Gmail account separately via web browser when I send/receive mail from them (not using a client app).
    - The Gmail accounts are not linked or forwarded to each other in any way.
    - I often Bcc: my "private" account when sending from my "public" account.

In case you aren't following, here's an example:

1. I logged in to "public@gmail.com" and received mail from someone.

2. The recipient received a delivery receipt from
    "private@gmail.com". Here's the delivery receipt he received:

Return-Path: <private@gmail.com>
    Received: from bda073-cell00.bisx.prod.on.blackberry ( [216.9.249.73])
    by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id e18sm1096395qba.27.2008.01.09.23.52.19
    (version=SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5);
    Wed, 09 Jan 2008 23:52:19 -0800 (PST)
    X-rim-org-msg-ref-id:1077381257
    Message-ID:<1077381257-1199951534-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-778782032-@bxe113.bisx.prod.on.blackberry>
    Reply-To: private@gmail.com
    X-Priority: Normal
    To: "John Smith" <johnsmith@pacbell.net>
    Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:51:52 +0000
    Subject: Delivered: RE: century prep
    Content-Type: multipart/report; boundary="part35671-boundary-1175672658-1340370967"
    MIME-Version: 1.0

--part35671-boundary-1175672658-1340370967
    Content-Type: text/plain

Your message was delivered to the recipient.
    --part35671-boundary-1175672658-1340370967
    Content-Type: message/delivery-status

Original-Message-ID:974
    Final-Recipient:private@gmail.com
    Action:Delivered

--part35671-boundary-1175672658-1340370967--

from private@gmail.com
    reply-to private@gmail.com,
    to John Smith <johnsmith@pacbell.net>,
    date Jan 9, 2008 11:51 PM
    subject Delivered: RE: century prep
    mailed-by gmail.com

Your message was delivered to the recipient.
    01-21-08 01:06 PM
    I've been anxiously awaiting someone else complaining about precisely what you've described. I spotted it immediately when an email with a delivery confirmation receipt request reached my device's private email address (I had configured one email account for informal push email per RIMs instructions), and the device returned *three* sets of receipts, all with my full name, and one with my device's private email address.

Theres no way to turn it off.

Ive had a case open with them for the past two months and they alternately dont understand what Im talking about, then understand it and try to escalate the problem, then quickly reply its intentional and try to quickly close the case before I can respond.

The delivery confirmation receipts youre seeing are being generated by the device, itself. If you look closely at the message headers in the receipt you can also see which RIM email servers it passed, which will give the recipient an idea where your device was when his email landed on your device (i.e. east coast, west coast, Canada, etc.).

Strongly suggest you open a trouble ticket for this with your carrier and get it escalated to RIMs tech support group for resolution. And dont accept no for an answer. Good luck.
    01-21-08 02:31 PM
    I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Were it I, I would go into the delivery confirmations, change the settings from what they are right now, and save the settings. I would then immediately go back in and change it to what I want, save the settings, and then do a battery pull. I have all my settings so no type of confirmation is sent with my email. Had an issue at first until I did the battery pull.
    YMMV
    01-21-08 03:01 PM
    I take it from the device you went into messages / menu / options / email settings and the respective settings there are set to NO, NO and NO, right?
    01-21-08 03:02 PM
    Yes, I've checked/double-checked/triple-checked that I have all receipt settings checked to "No" for all integrated e-mail accounts.

Please note that I'm not the one requesting a receipt.

My real issue is that this person is receiving a delivery receipt from my "private" account which I'm not even using to correspond with him! It seems like BIS sends out a delivery receipt for both integrated e-mail accounts every time it gets a request from either one of them.

I don't mind if someone requests a delivery receipt from me, but BIS should only send one for the account that receives the request!

Sounds like I need to log a case with my carrier.
    01-21-08 07:21 PM
    I tried configuring a second Gmail account to see if I could duplicate your situation, and didnt get the dual receipt replies. What you might want to check is if you have any cross-account bccs (bccing the private account from the public one). With POP3 you have to have the account set to bcc itself so your desktop gets a copy of what you send from the device. If you are using IMAP with Gmail, you can turn that feature off.

However, while looking into your problem, I found a new problem with the way RIMs servers send back (unwanted) delivery confirmation receipts. Look inside the headers within those receipts and see if you can find your devices private email account name (it might be parsed differently within some header fields). I found it within some delivery confirmation receipts and within any email written from the device within the devices private email app (which most people configure to appear as their main email account identity). RIM has made some radical changes in the device default behavior, receipt handling is one, email account identity is another. If the bcc configuration doesnt solve your problem, you might be caught between another RIM server configuration error.
    01-23-08 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD