Just got a Defender set for my 9900 and my PB. Seems I saw this thread a tad late. Since a friend got it for me from the US there really is no option of returning it or swapping it. Guess I'll have to coat the inner plastic with some sort of soft material.

In panic I also removed the case from my PB and checked it.... same problem !!!!!
    Thank god I had a screen protector on from before which has absorbed the scratches on the PB screen edges.
    Would love to post pics but after only 6 hours of use they are almost invisible but there none the less.

Both Defender cases have been consigned to temporary storage till I figure out a protection concept.
    Last edited by RubberBroke; 11-03-11 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Spell Check
    11-03-11 04:02 PM
    Any updates mr OP as to what is going on with OtterBox and your BB?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-11 07:43 PM
    i dont see how this is a manufacturing flaw. get dust, sand, or any tiny bits of whatever particles even in a silicone case and you are going to see scuffs. clean your phone once in a while
    11-04-11 06:38 AM
    i dont see how this is a manufacturing flaw. get dust, sand, or any tiny bits of whatever particles even in a silicone case and you are going to see scuffs. clean your phone once in a while
    The issue is that the case does not fit snugly enough to prevent the device from sliding around inside it. Grit or not, free motion inside the hard shell will cause abrasion on any device's finish. That's a manufacturing flaw.
    11-04-11 08:55 AM
    The issue is that the case does not fit snugly enough to prevent the device from sliding around inside it. Grit or not, free motion inside the hard shell will cause abrasion on any device's finish. That's a manufacturing flaw.
    He is partly right. I do have a feeling the case was initially designed to work with a keyboard cover but they must've dropped that at the last minute hence the extra slack inside.

11-04-11 10:03 AM
    He is partly right. I do have a feeling the case was initially designed to work with a keyboard cover but they must've dropped that at the last minute hence the extra slack inside.

I was curious to note that the Defender series did drop the keyboard shield. I wonder why they did that, and if that was indeed a factor in this design.
    11-04-11 10:09 AM
    Its not a matter of cleaning the phone...once in a while. One would have to clean it every day, multiple times per day to prevent this. Its a poorly designed case...period. I got rid of my otterbox defender one week after purchase when the outer rubber edges refused to stay locked into that cheap 1/16th of an inch rubber locking edge. This case is total garbage and totally not worth 45 buck and especially not 70 buck like the one guy at best buy (yes I read the whole thread). I think its lovely (eyeroll) that otterbox freely sends out tons of new rubber outer shells, but that's not the problem here.
    Anyway, I too have the scratches all over the bottom branding, I don't care about that as much as the waste of money not only by me, but by thousands of others.
    I love the feel of the defender and how bulky it makes the phone, always have with every bb I've owned. Not anymore. Reduced to another case.
    11-04-11 11:09 AM
    Its not a matter of cleaning the phone...once in a while. One would have to clean it every day, multiple times per day to prevent this. Its a poorly designed case...period. I got rid of my otterbox defender one week after purchase when the outer rubber edges refused to stay locked into that cheap 1/16th of an inch rubber locking edge. This case is total garbage and totally not worth 45 buck and especially not 70 buck like the one guy at best buy (yes I read the whole thread). I think its lovely (eyeroll) that otterbox freely sends out tons of new rubber outer shells, but that's not the problem here.
    Anyway, I too have the scratches all over the bottom branding, I don't care about that as much as the waste of money not only by me, but by thousands of others.
    I love the feel of the defender and how bulky it makes the phone, always have with every bb I've owned. Not anymore. Reduced to another case.
    Please post pics of your damaged device in this thread. Help everyone else out.
    11-04-11 01:03 PM
    sorry for not being in here the last 2 days.

I have come to a resolution with OtterBox. So far they deemed it a my case had a flaw.
    I encourage any one with the same case and the same issue to contact them.
    I did get partial re reimbursement for the cost of the phone for the damage done, and 2 commuters, one for the 9900 and one for the 9810.

I hope this thread was helpful and that we can work with OtterBox to fully resolve this issue from happening with future cases.
    11-05-11 02:37 PM
    Good to see you get positive results from Otterbox. Its good to know that ultimately they accepted responsibility for the defect. The down side...I have the exact same case because I read your BerryReview findings and for that I thank you.
    11-05-11 03:37 PM
    Put it back on Dawg, but put a piece of masking or scotch tape on the bezel... see if wear arises
    11-05-11 05:46 PM
    I'm sorry I didn't come to this thread sooner...been a bit involved lately and time has just slipped away.
    I was the person the OP posted about who had damage after only four days. I heard about his damage and took the Defender off my brand new, pristine 9930 to see a very, very faint line on the chin of the device and up towards the upward slant of the V in Verizon. I tried to take a picture but the line is so faint it doesn't show up. Had I not read about his device I would have had serious damage.
    I did write to Otterbox and have received no feedback from them. I did not ask for anything since my damage is so very slight, but I shudder to think what could have happened to my beautiful 9930 if I hadn't read about the OP's phone.
    11-05-11 05:58 PM
    I'm sorry I didn't come to this thread sooner...been a bit involved lately and time has just slipped away.
    I was the person the OP posted about who had damage after only four days. I heard about his damage and took the Defender off my brand new, pristine 9930 to see a very, very faint line on the chin of the device and up towards the upward slant of the V in Verizon. I tried to take a picture but the line is so faint it doesn't show up. Had I not read about his device I would have had serious damage.
    I did write to Otterbox and have received no feedback from them. I did not ask for anything since my damage is so very slight, but I shudder to think what could have happened to my beautiful 9930 if I hadn't read about the OP's phone.
    Thanks for chiming in, I cant believe they didnt respond.
    I didnt know you had emailed them
    11-05-11 06:00 PM
    Thanks for chiming in, I cant believe they didnt respond.
    I didnt know you had emailed them
    Oh yes!!!! Right after you described your damage. I think I might have mentioned....maybe I didn't. Sleep deprivation does incredible things to you.
    I emailed them and told them. I didn't send pics...my line is very faint, it was only four days' rubbing, so it really doesn't show up.

Oh, and no...there wasn't a spec of dirt on mine. I haven't been around dirt or grit.
    11-05-11 06:06 PM
    Am i the only person shocked so many people are using defenders which are ment for extreme situations like bike riding, rock climbing etc?
    11-05-11 06:11 PM
    Am i the only person shocked so many people are using defenders which are ment for extreme situations like bike riding, rock climbing etc?
    If that's what you think defenders are for, you are mis-educated on the product. Please do some further reading on the OtterBox Defender series. They are built for maximum protection on your device. And built well enough that you should have no worries if you choose to partake in the sports you explain.

oh and I am an avid mountain biker, but my phone stays in the truck when im on the trails.
    I think the best bet is for you to do more reading on products before stereotyping.
    11-05-11 06:14 PM
    Most of my iFriends use Defenders. It's a damned good case and, by the way, raising children, owning dogs, and recreational drinking are also "extreme situations" for which the Defender is perfectly suited. It's meant for protecting your investment. From whatever.

11-05-11 10:23 PM
    I'm not shocked this thread is growing by leaps and bounds.
    11-06-11 01:55 AM
    I am hoping they didn't sell a lot of defenders and dealing with this situation on a case by case basis but in the meantime changing the development slightly.

It is good that the op had this issue resolved with $ and a few other cases, but they offered him commuters? Doesn't that tell you anything. Tells me that if he got yet another defender from them claiming it was just his case and a new chin that they would have another email coming into them in 2 weeks. To me shows a lack of confidence in their case. That's a huge shocker because if you accidently rand your phone over with a truck otter would usually pay you for a new case and phone.

Seems times have changer.

And ps I am writing this with my commuter on and last night I took my defender off for the weekend. Not like I'm not a fan of otter.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk
    11-06-11 09:13 AM
    i have the same case, maybe i should take it off :-S
    11-06-11 12:57 PM
    i have the same case, maybe i should take it off :-S
    You should, at the very least, take it off and check. If you find scuffing or scratching, please post pics here.
    11-06-11 06:44 PM

I'd say that qualifies as 'pretty effed up'
    Last edited by Mamaluka; 11-06-11 at 10:55 PM.
    Fubaz likes this.
    11-06-11 10:47 PM
    You should contact Otterbox and file a complaint. This needs to be reported.

11-07-11 06:22 AM
    You should contact Otterbox and file a complaint. This needs to be reported.

Did you read the posts: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...3/#post6816855. And post #62.

People have contacted them and they don't seem to care.
    Last edited by NickA44; 11-07-11 at 08:54 AM.
    11-07-11 08:52 AM
    Did you read the posts: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...3/#post6816855. And post #62.

People have contacted them and they don't seem to care.
    By all means, let's completely give up, then. I've read this entire thread, multiple times, as should be evidenced by my numerous posts in it, thank you very much.

They can ignore one person. Every person that reports the issue makes it harder to ignore. The reason they don't seem to care is that not enough people have reported it.
    11-07-11 08:57 AM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD