EDIT: it now looks like the case is dicontinued
    http://opensourcebb.com/2011/11/otte...discountinued/

So as with all my other devices, as soon as I got it, I went to Best Buy Mobile and picked up an OtterBox Defender. Yeah it was like $70, but that's nothing to keep my new baby clean and protected.

HECK, i even went as far to right a review for it on BerryReview .

Fast forward 2 months, a friend asks me about the size of the 9900, so i remove my Defender. To my shock and dismay the case had scuffed a nice fat line across my bezel. Rendering my 9900 useless naked, as its visibly ruined. Could I replace the bottom bezel? sure, but that would void my warranty with RIM/Bell. And a case shouldn't do that.

I followed the proper channels, spoke to a few mods on here for advice. One mod on here even said that he removed his Defender from his 9930 because of the fit, stating that he knew it would damage his device. Another forum member had put her 9930 in a Defender, and after 4 days had wear. Seems something here is wrong.

I email the customer service line at OtterBox, get a pleasant CSR, she asks for me to send the case back as well as show some pictures of the damaged phone. I even went as far to make a video to show the movement. They also wanted my proof of purchase of the phone so they got that as well.

A week goes by, the case shows as arrived so I email them. Took a bit to get a reply and to my utter shock they will not take any responsibility for the damage, and that the case is fine.

I would also like anyone with a Defender on their device to check for wear. I have two friends that bought these cases, one verified the wear on his, the other is coming to my store after work. Please help me have OtterBox claim responsibility for their cases defacing our devices, as they should not.

Please see the photos below as well as the video of the movement.

Last edited by Fubaz; 11-29-11 at 10:20 AM.
    mssca likes this.
    11-01-11 01:39 PM
    Wow, that really sucks!

I'm surprised that OtterBox has refused to take any responsibility in the matter. I've always heard their warranty and stuff is top notch. You may want to try to contact them again, just to see if they can do something.

I would assume you could get a new lower piece for the device, I just don't know where... Where did you get the unbranded one that's currently on there?
    11-01-11 02:21 PM
    Looks like dirt/grit got between the case and the phone and friction did the rest. That really sucks.
    11-01-11 03:19 PM
    I would assume you could get a new lower piece for the device, I just don't know where... Where did you get the unbranded one that's currently on there?
    I know the Telus 9900's in Canada don't come with any branding. I assume Bell is the same way.

When I first got my defender, I noticed that the phone was really sloppy inside the plastic case and kinda creaked a bit when I pressed around the edges. I put a very thin piece of foam between the phone and the back half of the case and it made a very big difference. The plastic part snapped together better and the silicone fit tighter. I just took mine out of the case after reading this post and I still have a very small wear spot starting on the corner. I contacted otterbox and they gave me the same story. Not their fault, they would give me a new case, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I think I am just going to throw this one in the garbage as it is obviously a design flaw. I think they should have put the soft rubber on the inside and the hard plastic on the outside.
    11-01-11 03:41 PM
    @elvin Bell sells unbranded, but Bell splash screen
    @lnichols I wish that were the story, I work in a clean store environment, and am not really around dirt/grime.

I know the Telus 9900's in Canada don't come with any branding. I assume Bell is the same way.

When I first got my defender, I noticed that the phone was really sloppy inside the plastic case and kinda creaked a bit when I pressed around the edges. I put a very thin piece of foam between the phone and the back half of the case and it made a very big difference. The plastic part snapped together better and the silicone fit tighter. I just took mine out of the case after reading this post and I still have a very small wear spot starting on the corner. I contacted otterbox and they gave me the same story. Not their fault, they would give me a new case, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I think I am just going to throw this one in the garbage as it is obviously a design flaw. I think they should have put the soft rubber on the inside and the hard plastic on the outside.
    I am glad you can vouch for the same issue. I just wish they would take fault. I am hoping this thread might get them to see they have an issue.
    Last edited by Fubaz; 11-01-11 at 03:58 PM.
    11-01-11 03:53 PM
    Different phone, but I have noticed that the Defender on my iP4 rubs on the screen protector in 2 very distinct spots, and I assume it would do the same to the screen if there was no screen protector in between.
    11-01-11 03:57 PM
    Different phone, but I have noticed that the Defender on my iP4 rubs on the screen protector in 2 very distinct spots, and I assume it would do the same to the screen if there was no screen protector in between.
    I agree, i have the same wear at the top of the phone, and if they had only given me a small piece of screen protector for the bottom , this whole issue would have never happened.
    11-01-11 03:59 PM
    I agree, i have the same wear at the top of the phone, and if they had only given me a small piece of screen protector for the bottom , this whole issue would have never happened.
    It's a pretty big oversight in the Defender designs apparently, especially from a company that prides themselves on unparallelled protection.
    11-01-11 04:08 PM
    It's a pretty big oversight in the Defender designs apparently, especially from a company that prides themselves on unparallelled protection.
    exactly, ive never had this issue with 4 previous Defenders.
    11-01-11 04:14 PM
    exactly, ive never had this issue with 4 previous Defenders.
    I haven't either, which is why it strikes me as very odd that now we have two different Defenders causing the same problem.
    11-01-11 04:16 PM
    I haven't either, which is why it strikes me as very odd that now we have two different Defenders causing the same problem.
    Yeah, i just called my friend who has an ip4 with a defender, says there is a hairline wear mark on his.

im just deflated over this whole issue.
    11-01-11 04:25 PM
    Yeah, i just called my friend who has an ip4 with a defender, says there is a hairline wear mark on his.

im just deflated over this whole issue.
    The thing that kind of puts me off of the brand is that they basically told you that you were SOL. The customer service they typically have offered was more appealing to me than the protection the case offered.
    11-01-11 04:27 PM
    The thing that kind of puts me off of the brand is that they basically told you that you were SOL. The customer service they typically have offered was more appealing to me than the protection the case offered.
    I would copy the emails in to here, but there is a disclaimer at the bottom and if I was to post them here they might get all pissy about disclosing privy info.
    11-01-11 04:29 PM
    I would copy the emails in to here, but there is a disclaimer at the bottom and if I was to post them here they might get all pissy about disclosing privy info.
    Oh no that's fine, definitely would not want to get you in to any sort of legal trouble. Maybe try to reach out again via phone and see if you can get someone else?
    11-01-11 04:32 PM
    Glad I rushed out to buy the Defender after reading your BerryReview. Thankfully I didn't like the added bulk and removed the case within a day. Hopefully you'll get the resolution you want.

Good luck.
    steppinghorse and Fubaz like this.
    11-01-11 04:33 PM
    The more people who post pics and report this issue to Otterbox, the stronger the case gets, folks. Strength in numbers. They need to hear this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Fubaz likes this.
    11-01-11 04:53 PM
    Thanks Rrrebo and Dawg.

I posted a pic on their facebook page of the damage.
    Lets see what happens.
    11-01-11 04:58 PM
    Had a Defender on my 9550 and it did the same thing. Have a commuter for my 9930, hope it gives me better luck.
    11-01-11 05:03 PM
    Had a Defender on my 9550 and it did the same thing. Have a commuter for my 9930, hope it gives me better luck.
    could you email them and tell them?

I would like everyone to let them know of the damage from their products.
    11-01-11 05:11 PM
    Not cool when people make what us supposed to be a 'Premier' protection product and it end up marring a person's device.

They can either stand up and resolve the situation, or I'll pass on acquiring their product. And I'll recommend others do the same.

Fubaz likes this.
    11-01-11 05:22 PM
    Rogers sent out a 25% off offer on Otterbox products! I was going to bite it and buy a defender tomorrow!

I will be passing on that purchase now
    11-01-11 05:55 PM
    I am right there with you Fubaz,

When I got my device I could not wait to put it in a defender case. Once it showed up I opened the package and got it installed on my device.

When installing it the plastic shell felt a bit loose. Like the device walked in the case if that makes sense. Figured it was just a issue with not having the rubber skin on. Nope. Once the skin was on you really would not feel the movement as it deflects the issue and you can not feel it.

I luckily took the case off with in 24 hrs as I was having issues with the rubber skin not staying on. More time making sure it was always on, then using the device itself.

I then moved over to the Commuter series and have been using that since. Recently I heard about Fubaz device issue and addressed to him that i had a feeling something was not right about the case. Something didn't feel right.

I have always used Otterbox Defenders on all my devices, since the 8830. I used them in my line of work for protection and trusted them to do that simple job and do it well.

As far as Fubaz issue, you would be better off pouring sand in a standard holster and using that. Because that looks like the protection that the case gave you. NOTHING.

Kinda bummed by this whole issue. Seems quality control has gone down in a lot of venues in recent years......

I work in extreme environments a case to protect the device should help. Example would be using a bag of rocks and put your phone in it. Of course the device will flop around, because it's not secure, right? But who would do that

Otterbox can state what ever they choose, but if the device does not fit tight in a case this is what happens, and Fubaz now takes a lose of a device that has decreased in value and trust in a product.. But that is the point of a CASE. Protection....... Protection that this case should have provided and it

Failed
    Fubaz and grover5 like this.
    11-01-11 05:55 PM
    I already stopped buying their overpriced and overrated crap anyway, but this does not surprise me.
    11-01-11 05:57 PM
    I have a similar problem with my 9810 . And a Otter box defender case . The part that clips around the screen scrapped the finish off below the Keyboard.
    Fubaz likes this.
    11-01-11 08:31 PM
    I really prefer the Commuter's lack of bulk and silicone inside, plastic outside design. I think Otterbox should maybe line the Defender's plastic shell with silicone, or a thin foam layer to snug it down, then silicone outside.

11-01-11 11:15 PM
97 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD