This blog lists a few of the pros and cons of voice over Wi-Fi, or VoWi-Fi, on BlackBerrys, as well as a few reasons why these devices will likely become more popular in the future, even though carriers may not want that to happen.

Check it out.

Do you all use VoWi-Fi often? Why and where? What do you like about it? And what do you dislike?

Overall, I'm very pleased with VoWi-Fi calling on my Curve 8320.

AZA
    04-17-08 02:07 PM
    Excellent article.

An In-Stat survey from last year found that of the 1,400 some-odd “mid-to-high income [American] businesspeople familiar with technology” surveyed and who own a mobile phone, nearly half who planned to replace a phone wanted Wi-Fi support in their next handheld.
    04-17-08 09:01 PM
    UMA is the best thing ever invented. I live in the middle of nowhere with no cell service on any provider. I love being able to sit at my desk and text and call people, without racking up our long distance minutes lol. I have no problems with it, never dropped a call, and the only quality issues is when i'm using youtube/downloading itunes stuff on my computer (hooked up to my router) i am very very happy with it.
    05-05-08 02:59 PM
    Over UMA my 8320 sounds like my Treo 700p did with 1-2 bars. Of course, my 8320 sounds flawless at 1-2 bars

My internet is pretty much junk, though. At good, lagless, stable internets it's awesome.

Plus I can still have GPS with a little keychain puck. Who needs an 8310 :-p
    05-22-08 04:24 PM
    There couldn't possibly be anything negative about wifi calling. Unless there's no network that is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-08 06:47 PM
    I thought Wi-Fi isnt as secure as a cellular network?
    05-31-08 08:16 PM
    Wifi is able to add additional layers of security, over and above the unbreakable AES stuff BlackBerry is famous for.

The risk in Wifi is connecting to a rouge source. You may think you are connected to a Coffee Shop Hotspot, but some geek could be sitting there with a laptop and more powerful signal. That could be a security risk.
    05-31-08 11:35 PM
    I love my VoWi-Fi. I have been able to use my phone in places were normal cell phone reception is lost. With the use of the UMA my phone just keeps trucking along. My friends are just amazed that this phone works great indoors in a shielded building. The get even more amazed when I tell them it is the Wi-Fi that makes it work. I have the $9.99 unlimited plan so I can use it anywhere there is a Wi-Fi that I have access to and that is impressive. I do A LOT of travel and I have seen only one site that I couldn’t access.
    VoWi-Fi!!!!
    Kewlest thing since sliced bread.
    06-01-08 09:55 PM
    The call quality is a lot better than you would expect and it's a huge save if you're in a location with poor coverage but a wifi hotspot is close by.
    06-02-08 09:21 AM
    Great thread!! Thanks!

I have used UMA for a little while now and it is amazing for a number of reasons.

With TMo Hotspot@Home all the calls I make from office, home, campus, etc are now FREE when I connect to the inevitable WiFi location nearby. The call quality is amazing (sounds the same as EDGE i personally think, I have always used high quality WiFi signals though).

The transition from EDGE to UMA is seamless and I have not had one dropped call doing so!!

This is a godsend for people with poor cell coverage, people looking to replace a land line, or people who like new technology in general.

The WiFi on my Curve 8320 is amazing all-around. I could make a cell call from anywhere as long as they have WiFi, who needs a TMo signal (which can be unreliable). Since the world relies on the internet you are basically guaranteed a place to call from.

Overall I love the WiFi and UMA on my Curve! And TMo has pleased me again. If you don't have Hotspot@Home I highly recommend!!
    06-06-08 03:23 PM
    Yes,great thread................
    06-06-08 03:42 PM
    Wifi is able to add additional layers of security, over and above the unbreakable AES stuff BlackBerry is famous for.

The risk in Wifi is connecting to a rouge source. You may think you are connected to a Coffee Shop Hotspot, but some geek could be sitting there with a laptop and more powerful signal. That could be a security risk.
    So if I was to get a BB with wi-fi, is that a risk that you just have to live with?

I dont know a lot about wi-fi phones. Anyone who does, feel free to answer.
    06-07-08 06:37 PM
    ok i have a question about uma if i have hotspot @home and i travel to someplace out of the usa can i use the wifi in that country and make phone calls and still not get charged for it cause that would make me say 8320 uma you are the ****ing king and that would definitely make the bb **** on an iphone anyday
    06-12-08 09:55 PM
    ok i have a question about uma if i have hotspot @home and i travel to someplace out of the usa can i use the wifi in that country and make phone calls and still not get charged for it cause that would make me say 8320 uma you are the ****ing king and that would definitely make the bb **** on an iphone anyday
    Please do not cross post in numerous threads!!

I just answered this in another thread before I read this one... it is against forum rules to cross post!! The CB community is really knowledgeable, so even if you only make one post I guarantee someone will answer your question!!

Also, use the search feature... it is very helpful when looking for answers!!
    06-13-08 09:02 AM
    So if I was to get a BB with wi-fi, is that a risk that you just have to live with?

I dont know a lot about wi-fi phones. Anyone who does, feel free to answer.
    As long as you connect to secure wireless networks you have nothing to worry about at all.

For example, if you have a home network with wireless security: GOOD

Office network with security: GOOD

Starbucks with NO security: RISK (because there is a small chance some hacker could be broadcasting the same SSID as the Starbucks network, creating a trap for you to fall into)

I am not sure all they could do if you connected to his 'network' instead of Starbucks, but it is a minor security issue. I am not concerned at all...
    06-13-08 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD