What should I do to my phone if I sell or trade it as far as making sure no emails go to it, and is it possible to keep my pin and use it on my next phone? Is there a way I can check on the phone I'm getting to make sure the pin is not blacklisted or not usable..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 04:43 AM
    What should I do to my phone if I sell or trade it as far as making sure no emails go to it, and is it possible to keep my pin and use it on my next phone? Is there a way I can check on the phone I'm getting to make sure the pin is not blacklisted or not usable..

it is not possible to keep your pin as the pin is hardware bound

just deactivate your email accounts and/or change your pin on the BIS

If you know the esn of the phone your getting you can call the carrier and have them run it to make sure its not blacklisted.
    05-23-09 05:51 AM
    In addition to the steps given by noaim, you also need to contact your carrier to release your pin. The pin goes with the device, but it is assigned to you. Until you release it, the new owner can't configure BIS. Be sure to wipe your phone of personal data. Remove the media card, unless you are selling it with the phone.

05-23-09 05:59 AM
    In addition to the steps given by noaim, you also need to contact your carrier to release your pin. The pin goes with the device, but it is assigned to you. Until you release it, the new owner can't configure BIS. Be sure to wipe your phone of personal data. Remove the media card, unless you are selling it with the phone.

+1

forgot about that ;/
    05-23-09 06:12 AM
    awsome..thanks guys
    05-23-09 06:45 AM
    one other thing guys, when im about to send it to the person taking over the phone, do i then call and release my pin? will i have to change anything else on my BB tmo website? set up email accounts again? or is it as easy as call and release my pin, and put my tmo sim card in my unlocked bold? that easy?
    05-23-09 07:30 PM
    one other thing guys, when im about to send it to the person taking over the phone, do i then call and release my pin? will i have to change anything else on my BB tmo website? set up email accounts again? or is it as easy as call and release my pin, and put my tmo sim card in my unlocked bold? that easy?

you release your pin when the trade is done.. you do not need to mess with your email accounts you just change the PIN in the BIS to point to your new pin the the emails of those accounts will go to your new device.
    05-23-09 08:25 PM
    And ill get my new pin after I insert my sim in the unlocked bold?

05-23-09 08:29 PM
    The PIN has nothing to do with the SIM card. You would find it
    by going to options > status on the new phone. It will be there.
    Also on a sticker under the battery.
    05-23-09 08:40 PM
    Oh, so the pin on this phone is on the phone forever? I didn't know that. Thx!!!

05-23-09 08:43 PM
    Oh, so the pin on this phone is on the phone forever? I didn't know that. Thx!!!

yes the pin is hardcoded to the device itself and cannot be changed.

If you have blackberry messenger contacts they will get your new ping if you use the change device wizard in the desktop manager..

make sure you do full backups of your phone and when you trade it completely wipe it... as said earlier..
    05-23-09 09:16 PM
    thanks guys..great info, so as long as the user releases his pin, i should just be able to slip my sim in and ill be fine? that rocks..
    05-25-09 06:36 AM
    i took my bold off of my bis account, and signed up my pearl, will that release my pin from the bold or do i need to call at&t?
    05-26-09 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD