When my ADSL provider is down as it frequently is, I have used my Blackberry (Bold 9000) tethered to my laptop (Win XPSP2) to access the internet (3G) and recently thought it would be useful if I hooked up a Wifi access point to my laptop to share the connection wirelessly around the house.

I have used the network setup wizard to share the connection with other computers - in my case it is only one additional desktop (XP SP2 also)which normally accesses the internet wirelessly through my ADSL modem/router.

I got it all set up with the 3G connected BB hooked up to my USB port on the laptop and a wifi access point connected to the laptop via the RJ 45 ethernet plug. Internet flows no problem to the laptop.

The strange thing is on the desktop computer, I can get an IP address OK, and can do an IPCONFIG/NSLOOKUP and see the Microsoft Corporation server, I can also ping the DNS server of the 3G provider my BB is connected to.

However, I cannot for the life of me, get the internet on the desktop, despite being able to ping any address I want and including the DNS of my provider. The laptop is still able to access the internet.

A friend suggested a ipconfig/release then dnsflush then renew (tried it on both computers), then my ISP suggested doing a winsock reset by ipconfig/NETSH i i r log then ipconfig/netsh w r but none of that helped either.

I am completely baffled by all this. I am suspicious it is some kind of DNS issue but wonder if any networking experts on here can assist me to fix the problem.
    06-01-09 12:30 AM
    In order for me to use the tethered connection with Sprint, I need to have their connection manager running on the machine. Does your provider have some sort of program and is it on the other machine?
    06-01-09 12:36 AM
    In order for me to use the tethered connection with Sprint, I need to have their connection manager running on the machine. Does your provider have some sort of program and is it on the other machine?
    Mmm interesting - No I don't need to have any kind of connection manager active on the connected PC (laptop in my case)... but I have to have the BB Desktop Manager connected, but I think that is more of a case of because the Blackberry won't be seen till it is identified and the password is input.

However, you raise a point. I wonder if the BB desktop manager is required to be on the other machine.
    06-01-09 10:12 AM
    One more important point - forgot to mention browers I tried were IE-6 and Firfox.

In IE-6 under Connections> LAN> Automatic Configuration> I have it set to 'automatically detect settings' and proxy server is unchecked as I am not running via a proxy server (or should it be set to something?)

Not sure what other settings may be stopping the flow of data but I had though of the browser issue myself earlier as the most likely problem area.

Any more ideas on this?
    06-01-09 10:16 AM
    Have you tried shutting down any firewalls, antivirus/malware software you may have running?
    06-01-09 11:27 AM
    Have you tried shutting down any firewalls, antivirus/malware software you may have running?
    Both firewalls were shutdown and since your suggestion, I have shutdown also both anit-virus programs.

Also I ran a Network Diagnostic test (XP built-in one) it says its probably firewall settings related and told me to check HTTP port 80, HTTPS port 443 and FTP port 21. I am running standard Windows XP firewall, however the thought came to me that maybe the Blackberry has a firewall allowing traffic only to computers that have input th password (ie have the desktop manager software installed) Is this a possibility? My laptop has DM installed and hence maybe that is why I am able to connect to the internet with it.

I have the network diagnostic log if someone could analyse it for me.

Thanks
    06-01-09 11:33 PM
    I would try to get the tether to work on just the desktop first, then try again.
    06-01-09 11:36 PM
    When my ADSL provider is down as it frequently is, I have used my Blackberry (Bold 9000) tethered to my laptop (Win XPSP2) to access the internet (3G) and recently thought it would be useful if I hooked up a Wifi access point to my laptop to share the connection wirelessly around the house.

I have used the network setup wizard to share the connection with other computers - in my case it is only one additional desktop (XP SP2 also)which normally accesses the internet wirelessly through my ADSL modem/router.

I got it all set up with the 3G connected BB hooked up to my USB port on the laptop and a wifi access point connected to the laptop via the RJ 45 ethernet plug. Internet flows no problem to the laptop.

The strange thing is on the desktop computer, I can get an IP address OK, and can do an IPCONFIG/NSLOOKUP and see the Microsoft Corporation server, I can also ping the DNS server of the 3G provider my BB is connected to.

However, I cannot for the life of me, get the internet on the desktop, despite being able to ping any address I want and including the DNS of my provider. The laptop is still able to access the internet.

A friend suggested a ipconfig/release then dnsflush then renew (tried it on both computers), then my ISP suggested doing a winsock reset by ipconfig/NETSH i i r log then ipconfig/netsh w r but none of that helped either.

I am completely baffled by all this. I am suspicious it is some kind of DNS issue but wonder if any networking experts on here can assist me to fix the problem.

ok so im going to try and break down your setup and walk through it a bit.

you have a bold tethered to laptop so laptop go's online..

you then plugged your laptop into a wireless router using ethernet..

your desktop connects to the wireless router but has no internet

From my network experience although I have never tried this I am going to go with this wont work.

the way a router works is you plug a internet connection into it using the wan port..

IE cable modem - dsl whatever just a regular internet connection..

the router then talks to it to receive a a IP from the internet service.. then the router hands out ips to the rest of the network.

Then the router acts as the central gateway for all pcs to go to the internet.

so I don't know how tethering the blackberry to the laptop then plugging the laptop in would get the correct DNS information to sit on the router for your other pc to access..

see what im saying?

it would have to GO to the router then through the laptop then out the blackberry

not quite sure if that setup is going to work

if I am seeing the configuration that you explained properly.
    06-01-09 11:50 PM
    ok so im going to try and break down your setup and walk through it a bit.

you have a bold tethered to laptop so laptop go's online..

you then plugged your laptop into a wireless router using ethernet..

your desktop connects to the wireless router but has no internet

From my network experience although I have never tried this I am going to go with this wont work.

the way a router works is you plug a internet connection into it using the wan port..

IE cable modem - dsl whatever just a regular internet connection..

the router then talks to it to receive a a IP from the internet service.. then the router hands out ips to the rest of the network.

Then the router acts as the central gateway for all pcs to go to the internet.

so I don't know how tethering the blackberry to the laptop then plugging the laptop in would get the correct DNS information to sit on the router for your other pc to access..

see what im saying?

it would have to GO to the router then through the laptop then out the blackberry

not quite sure if that setup is going to work

if I am seeing the configuration that you explained properly.
    Yes I think you have a grasp of my setup, however I must clarify.
    Given the BB is tethered to the laptop, I use Internet Connection Sharing on the laptop. ICS on the laptop then sends out an IP address to the desktop via a wifi access point (connected to the LAN port of the laptop).
    Note as well that the desktop is able to ping through all this infrastructure out through the BB to the 3G operator's DNS server! So I have an IP address given to the desktop - that's not the problem.

I did Network diagnosis (from the desktop) and it could only come up with 'check firewall settings for HTTP, HTTPS, FTP etc and the respective port numbers'. However the (Windows XP) firewalls on both the laptop and the desktop were disabled completely for my setup testing.

The only thing I can conclude in the absence of further input is that somehow the Blackberry firewall is not allowing other IP addresses (other than that of the directly connected laptop) to pass HTTP data through, but then it allows pings.. so I am still baffled!

Per the penultimate post, my project for today is to get my BB hooked up directly to the desktop (with DM installed, which it is not at the moment).

Thanks for your input, please keep it coming.
    06-02-09 08:58 PM
    Yes I think you have a grasp of my setup, however I must clarify.
    Given the BB is tethered to the laptop, I use Internet Connection Sharing on the laptop. ICS on the laptop then sends out an IP address to the desktop via a wifi access point (connected to the LAN port of the laptop).
    Note as well that the desktop is able to ping through all this infrastructure out through the BB to the 3G operator's DNS server! So I have an IP address given to the desktop - that's not the problem.

I did Network diagnosis (from the desktop) and it could only come up with 'check firewall settings for HTTP, HTTPS, FTP etc and the respective port numbers'. However the (Windows XP) firewalls on both the laptop and the desktop were disabled completely for my setup testing.

The only thing I can conclude in the absence of further input is that somehow the Blackberry firewall is not allowing other IP addresses (other than that of the directly connected laptop) to pass HTTP data through, but then it allows pings.. so I am still baffled!

Per the penultimate post, my project for today is to get my BB hooked up directly to the desktop (with DM installed, which it is not at the moment).

Thanks for your input, please keep it coming.

ahh

well please report back on the desktop connecting...

I do understand networking quite well but I will admit this is not a feat I have attempted before but I am more then willing (and will) try to dig out more information through various sources on getting this working..

It interests me..

one other question that popped into my head was
    does the access point have a firewall enabled..

and if so

have you tried setting the desktop to like a DMZ of some sort just to see if things can pass?

(I don't recommend leaving a pc as a DMZ as it leaves it completely open but it could be useful for trouble shooting)
    06-02-09 09:07 PM
    ahh

well please report back on the desktop connecting...

I do understand networking quite well but I will admit this is not a feat I have attempted before but I am more then willing (and will) try to dig out more information through various sources on getting this working..

It interests me..

one other question that popped into my head was
    does the access point have a firewall enabled..

and if so

have you tried setting the desktop to like a DMZ of some sort just to see if things can pass?

(I don't recommend leaving a pc as a DMZ as it leaves it completely open but it could be useful for trouble shooting)

Ran into hitches trying to get the BB running on the client desktop!

Error 734 comes up and I have spent considerable time with my 3G ISP trying to resolve. Having been through what seems like every possibility, they are researching and will get back to me. After this, I shall report back.
    06-04-09 12:08 AM
    Ran into hitches trying to get the BB running on the client desktop!

Error 734 comes up and I have spent considerable time with my 3G ISP trying to resolve. Having been through what seems like every possibility, they are researching and will get back to me. After this, I shall report back.

so its a good chance that the desktop is the issue..
    06-04-09 02:15 AM
    I am now at a stalemate with this. I cannot get the BB phone/modem to connect on the desktop. Tried everything I can think of. Still getting error 734. ISP still has not reverted to me.

Any thoughts?
    06-05-09 01:55 AM
    Are all the proper services (services.msc)running? Not that I know which ones. I turned on telephony and remote auto connection manager etc.and I made sure to disable my LAN.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 08:24 AM
    Are all the proper services (services.msc)running? Not that I know which ones. I turned on telephony and remote auto connection manager etc.and I made sure to disable my LAN.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I am unaware of the settings you refer to such as
    -services.msc
    -telephony
    -remote auto connection manager

However, I tried it with LAN disabled.

What I can't understand is why the laptop is OK and the desktop is not. It's the same operating system.
    06-07-09 04:48 AM
    I went through the process of using XP and Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) using a Blackberry 8830. Multiple computer systems can access the internet with this configuration. The following is how I configured my system with Static IP:

1) Installation of 8830 Verizon Desktop Manager (5.0.1)
    2) Installation of Verizon VzAccess (7.0.4.2)
    tether 8830 to computer
    start VzAccess
    3) Disable DHCP on all routers and wireless routers
    4) Modified tethered computer: Network Connection->Verizon Wireless - VzAccess -> properties -> Advanced -> Allow other Network users to connect (select check box, and select Local Area Network) Note: LAN IP is forced to 192.168.0.1
    5) Set all other host systems to 192.168.0.x
    Gateway 192.168.0.1
    DNS (use DNS from "tethered computer" ppp connection (phone/modem) if required (ipconfig/all in dos command prompt window to display DNS settings)
    6) make sure that gateway system with tethered phone/modem is plugged into the network
    7) activate routers, and wireless routers as needed: with DHCP disabled

Diagnostics:
    from host ping the gateway address: ping 192.168.0.1
    use ipconfig/all to see if IP address, Gateway address, and DNS address are correct for LAN connection, or wireless connection
    ping [any favorite www address]

I am getting max download speeds of 535 kbits, and max upload of 299Kbits. Typical is 250Kbits down, and 100Kbits up.

I have cell booster (Cellmate CM800, and a Yag antennae)
    02-03-10 10:26 PM
    I went through the process of using XP and Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) using a Blackberry 8830. Multiple computer systems can access the internet with this configuration. The following is how I configured my system with Static IP:

1) Installation of 8830 Verizon Desktop Manager (5.0.1)
    2) Installation of Verizon VzAccess (7.0.4.2)
    tether 8830 to computer
    start VzAccess
    3) Disable DHCP on all routers and wireless routers
    4) Modified tethered computer: Network Connection->Verizon Wireless - VzAccess -> properties -> Advanced -> Allow other Network users to connect (select check box, and select Local Area Network) Note: LAN IP is forced to 192.168.0.1
    5) Set all other host systems to 192.168.0.x
    Gateway 192.168.0.1
    DNS (use DNS from "tethered computer" ppp connection (phone/modem) if required (ipconfig/all in dos command prompt window to display DNS settings)
    6) make sure that gateway system with tethered phone/modem is plugged into the network
    7) activate routers, and wireless routers as needed: with DHCP disabled

Diagnostics:
    from host ping the gateway address: ping 192.168.0.1
    use ipconfig/all to see if IP address, Gateway address, and DNS address are correct for LAN connection, or wireless connection
    ping [any favorite www address]

I am getting max download speeds of 535 kbits, and max upload of 299Kbits. Typical is 250Kbits down, and 100Kbits up.

I have cell booster (Cellmate CM800, and a Yag antennae)
    You are a genius!!!!
    05-01-10 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD