Hello everyone,
    I've never posted here, so am unsure if this is the right spot for this. I have a pink blackberry curve that I have had for less than 2 weeks. The camera function quit working. I brought my phone back to Verizon. They did a master reset and I lost all my information, but, they did manage to save my contacts for me.

I hadn't even had a chance to download the bb software disc. Well, I got that done today.

Here is the big question: I am going to be given a brand-new bb phone, as they stated they couldn't fix the camera problem. I will get that phone on Monday in the mail. Now...I need to know how to back up all the information I have on my bb right now. If I get everything backed up, will I be able to plug in the new phone and put all that information on the new phone? How will that work? Will I still have to go through all the standard set up stuff? Or...will the backup just automatically do all that for me?

If anyone has time to answer, that would be great!

Cindy...>a real newbie to blackberry. I'm just learning. I sure hope my new phones camera works longer than this phone's did!
    03-06-09 08:00 PM
    Load the Desktop Manager software on the disk that came with your BB on your computer.

Open DM and plug your BB into the USB port of your computer. DM should display your BBs PIN# in the bottom left corner.

Click on Backup. Save the file to a folder that you can easily find later. When you get your replacement BB, plug it in and choose Restore, and point it to the backup file you made.
    03-06-09 08:04 PM
    hi cindy-first you need to dwld the desktop manager to your computer. once you have that done, you can then open up dm, connect your bb via usb cable, and on the bottom left-your PIN should show-confirming that your bb has been connected. wen you connect your bb-it may automatically "back up" showing the task bars filling. if not then choose the backup option on the dm and back up your bb. wen the back up is complete a box will pop up saying back up was completed sucessfully. now if the phone is not coming till monday, then if you can back up your phone say on Sunday night again so you have a current date of back up.

As for loading the backup info from this phone to the new phone, I believe you will have to do this: open up dm-usb the new curve and choose 'switch blackberry devices' to restore the info from your current bb to the new replaced bb. you will want to choose the most recent date of your last back up to get the most current information onto your new bb.

anyone else-did i miss anything?? please add if needed! ty!
    03-06-09 08:12 PM
    Hello and welcome! If I'm not mistaken you should be OK for your contacts and settings since you were able to backup. The Desktop Manager will probably need to recognize your newer phone thru the device switch wizard though. Does anybody else know how to do that?
    03-06-09 08:15 PM
    Wow....too slow I guess. We'll that's one thing you'll see on here is plenty of people more than willing to help or offer advice no matter what the problem! Thanks!
    03-06-09 08:17 PM
    If you have both the old BB and the new BB on hand, then the Device Switch wizard is the way to go. It will prompt you to plug in the old BB, then the new BB and transfer everything except the operating system to the new phone.

Use the Restore mode only if you don't have both devices available.
    03-06-09 08:23 PM
    WOW! You folks are FAST!

OK...I think I can manage this. I did my first backup this evening. It seemed to have worked. I was going to open up the backup file that is on my computer, but, it is a weird file extension that I couldn't open up to look at. But, from what I can tell, it appeared to have saved all my data. I will do the last backup right before I switch over to the new phone. If I run into troubles, I know where I am coming. RIGHT BACK HERE! Thank you guys so much! This is new to me and I have much to learn. I absolutely adore this phone. It really is addicting. I think I almost bawled when the camera quit working Thanks again, and I'll let you know how things go!
    Cindy
    03-06-09 08:23 PM
    Just to clarify, use the Device Switch function instead of Backup/Restore, it will be easier.
    03-06-09 08:25 PM
    Thanks xliderider!
    03-06-09 08:57 PM
    [quote=shellie pink berry;1877889]
    ]choose 'switch blackberry devices' to restore the info from your current bb to the new replaced bb.

i did say that in my original post.
    03-06-09 09:11 PM
    [QUOTE=shellie pink berry;1878282]
    ]choose 'switch blackberry devices' to restore the info from your current bb to the new replaced bb.

i did say that in my original post.
    Well if you want to nit pick, I did say most of what you said in your first post before you posted.
    03-06-09 09:14 PM
    Haha....you guys are too funny! But always willing to offer advice, THANKS!
    03-06-09 09:32 PM
    Yes always willing to help! I was not trying to nit pik & yes most of our op's were worded similar-most posts usually are! I was pokin fun at it - I shulda put smiley face to show I wasn't being mean

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 10:03 PM
    It's all good. Peace.
    03-07-09 01:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD