Can anyone recommend a service that does this that AREN'T Google, outlook, yahoo and the like?

I don't mind paying for a service if it's private.

I currently use runbox, but it doesn't offer a calendar service.

I need a private Web based calendar because I use both the passport and classic. When I'm only carrying one of those devices, I want my calendar items, contacts and email to sync without having to make and restore backups every time I want to swap out my sim between devices.
    04-18-15 07:44 PM
    What do you mean by "private"?

The only one would be one you make and run yourself.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 06:28 PM
    Check out the free Zentyal Server, it has Exchange capabilities. There is a free community edition and one with paid support...

... if you want to roll your own.

Cheap to set up on an old laptop. :-D

http://www.zentyal.com/
    http://www.zentyal.org/

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    04-19-15 10:31 PM
    Can anyone recommend a service that does this that AREN'T Google, outlook, yahoo and the like?
    Keep in mind that, at least for email, unless everyone is on the same email system, there won't be any real security. If you are receiving from or sending emails outside the system, then they are just as exposed as if you were using Yahoo, Outlook, etc.
    Soulstream likes this.
    04-20-15 10:53 AM
    There are any number of such services.

You should select one that is both incorporated outside one of the five eyes and maintains its servers outside the five eyes. Also pick a VPN to access it that meets these criteria.

I can't emphasize this enough. If you are an individual or corporate entity who is even slightly concerned about privacy and security you cannot do business with American tech companies given the current state of affairs.

But any move away from Google, the world's digital pimp will be a good one.

Start your research at

https://prism-break.org/en/
    04-20-15 11:10 AM
    There are any number of such services.

You should select one that is both incorporated outside one of the five eyes and maintains its servers outside the five eyes. Also pick a VPN to access it that meets these criteria.

I can't emphasize this enough. If you are an individual or corporate entity who is even slightly concerned about privacy and security you cannot do business with American tech companies given the current state of affairs.

But any move away from Google, the world's digital pimp will be a good one.

Start your research at

https://prism-break.org/en/
    That isn't necessarily good advice. The argument now is that your data is MORE susceptible to collection because NSA can do what they want outside of the US.

So if he is US citizen in US, then hosting on US servers should in theory provide some legal protection as NSA shouldn't be scooping up American citizen's emails, only foreigners. As someone else described it, NSA tries to collect ALL information outside the USA, and only MOST of the information inside the USA.

It's a two edged sword.
    04-20-15 08:31 PM
    Do you own any Apple devices? Have you tried iCloud email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-21-15 08:04 AM
    I wanted a private solution. Meaning I don't want the company to data mine or sell my info. I don't mind paying for such a service.
    04-21-15 09:22 AM
    The bigger question is why is it of concern for you...

If you don't want government level to be looking, good luck. Zero chance unless you are a completely closed loop and even then, not using mobile devices and seriously level of bouncing ip etc. eventually, one of the people in the closed loop will mess up and expose your server... Plus doing so begs questions and makes them look at you way more in depth onto their watch lists..so you accomplish the exact opposite what you want to achieve.. Anonymity.

If you're worried about corporate b2b level intrusions.. A self server email is probably less secure then the big guys... And the gov NSA could care less about b2b unless it's a threat to them..

The real question is why your communicating such secret information on email or calls etc. it's silly to think of security and email or even cell calls.. Anything digitial is basically not secure.. Period.

As is life in 2015... Echelon was nothing compared to what the NSA, China and Russia is capable of today...

Life is more now about what you're comfortable communicating over the internet vs is stuff secure. If you don't want something out there, don't digitize it, don't put it out there. Remember to that 99.9999% of calls today are all digitial and not analog too.
    04-21-15 10:03 AM
    I wanted a private solution. Meaning I don't want the company to data mine or sell my info. I don't mind paying for such a service.
    Email data mining selling.. That's on borderline paranoia.. There's almost zero value in your emailing.. It's your web searching that's of value.. You need to be consider secure web browsers and not email hosting..

If your worried about the company you work for collecting information on your activity... STOP using your companies IT ie computer, phone, internet, email for personal use. If you do, they have a right to know what your doing.. In case your selling, stealing their intellectual property. Only do work based activities on work time and work resources. Plus, they're paying you to work, not take care of personal matters on their dime, do that on your own time not theirs and with your own resources.

If by company you mean google, Microsoft etc. there's a lot of anonymous web browsers, but ultimately your internet provider still knows and could mine and sell data..

Just remember, every added level of off the standard grid makes you that more suspicious to lettered organizations so keep that in mind if want that added level scrutiny in your life ie government profile just so that google or Microsoft doesn't mine your data and profit off it.. Which they use to advance technology and hire people way above minimum wage....
    Last edited by diehardbbuser; 04-21-15 at 10:25 AM.
    04-21-15 10:14 AM
    www.fruux.com for contacts and calendar
    04-21-15 10:15 AM
    I am using https://www.zimbra.com/

Goto Partners section and look under Hosting Providers for a hoster near you (as you prefer)

I am using one in the Netherlands, one account costing nearly 5 euro a month.

Note that you need to own a domain to cover for the @123.xyz part of your email address, but this will last for the rest of your life if you want.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 10:22 AM
    Seriously people, enough with the lectures. I'm just looking for a recommendation.

I feel better using privacy services. I don't use Google for anything, not even to search. I know how to stay private. I just want something that integrates a calendar.
    04-21-15 11:56 AM