Yes for Android consumer market. No argument there.

But for corporate market, BlackBerry is testing the water. This is a new direction, nobody knows.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-23-15 12:40 PM
    Started a new thread because I think many Cackberrians are missing a important point... John Chen's point. He has been making that point for years now, but CB doesn't want to hear it.

BlackBerry 's focus is the corporate market now.

A_Aviator_A likes this.
    10-23-15 12:42 PM
    Even for Corporate, if his intended market was that, it's too high, the vast majority of devices deployed is less than half the price. He could only sell a few,( if corporate was interested in an Android device) to any particular organization. Only the Top management get the higher end device, at least in my organization.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-23-15 12:50 PM
    Even for Corporate, if his intended market was that, it's too high, the vast majority of devices deployed is less than half the price. He could only sell a few,( if corporate was interested in an Android device) to any particular organization. Only the Top management get the higher end device, at least in my organization.

Posted via CB10
    Agree. Most corporate phones are not high end.
    10-23-15 12:54 PM
    Here's a fun fact. People in the Corporate market are not cheap asses that will cry over 1000$.
    Anyone in the Corporate market could buy whatever they feel is needed. I know my boss has been through about 3 Blackberry Classic's from dropping them lol. - Get off your wallet guys. End game is to make Blackberry Succeed again. - Fun fact their stock raised over night +13 and theirs been no official Blackberry event or Launch provided yet. - If you can afford it buy and and show your support.
    10-23-15 12:57 PM
    Here's a fun fact. People in the Corporate market are not cheap asses that will cry over 1000$.
    Anyone in the Corporate market could buy whatever they feel is needed. I know my boss has been through about 3 Blackberry Classic's from dropping them lol. - Get off your wallet guys. End game is to make Blackberry Succeed again. - Fun fact their stock raised over night +13 and theirs been no official Blackberry event or Launch provided yet. - If you can afford it buy and and show your support.
    They aren't "cheap", they are prudent. The structure for receiving a corporate device is based on one's position in that structure. No its not an issue to get a replacement device in event of loss or damage. Additionally I don't consider the "classic " a high end device.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 01:05 PM
    They aren't going to be paying $1,000 per phone either nor the retail price in the U.S.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 01:08 PM
    Supply and demand guys. They're not making as many devices as apple and samsung. So the production costs will be higher.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 01:08 PM
    Corporate sales are based on contract plans. We have no idea what those are atm. Could be BB is willing to take lower margins for corporate contracts to get their foot in the door with Android.
    10-23-15 01:10 PM
    Supply and demand guys. They're not making as many devices as apple and samsung. So the production costs will be higher.

Posted via CB10
    Not that high, even on basis of scale. Samsung was able to secure their market because of the lower price point market. Even now they are struggling with their high end lines in terms of market share growth . The trend towards a Budget device will continue in the short to medium term. A lot of people forgot that Samsung was flooding the market with cheaper devices before they took off. The high end market is largely stagnant.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 01:13 PM
    Companies are still buying their employees iPhones no? The 6s with only 16gb is $899 already, and companies are not buying that model, they are getting at least 64 gb or the 6s plus. Not sure if your point is legit. If you're saying $900 is too much for a corporate client, then all phones are too expensive, and that's not a problem that BlackBerry or anyone can solve for Canadian based companies.

One thing I wanted to put out there, BlackBerry has actually given the Canadian consumer a bit of a break. The device is $900 CAD and $700 USD for an FX rate of 1.28. The current FX rate is 1.32.

As a comparison, Apple is really expensive with rates of 1.37 to 1.38

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 01:14 PM
    Companies are still buying their employees iPhones no? The 6s with only 16gb is $899 already, and companies are not buying that model, they are getting at least 64 gb or the 6s plus. Not sure if your point is legit. If you're saying $900 is too much for a corporate client, then all phones are too expensive, and that's not a problem that BlackBerry or anyone can solve for Canadian based companies.

One thing I wanted to put out there, BlackBerry has actually given the Canadian consumer a bit of a break. The device is $900 CAD and $700 USD for an FX rate of 1.28. The current FX rate is 1.32.

As a comparison, Apple is really expensive with rates of 1.37 to 1.38

Posted via CB10
    Research a little, not Tom, **** or Harry would get the higher priced device.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 01:20 PM
    Research a little, not Tom, **** or Harry would get the higher priced device.

Posted via CB10
    I think BlackBerry is aiming at the corporations who "value" security... the regulated industries. Like Wall Street, medical, military, governments, etc, and at the level where security matters, like executives, top-mid management, core staff, etc... plus the diehard fan base... 5 million a year.

If a client is not willing to pay for security and productivity, then this client does not "value" security BlackBerry represents, then he/she is not in the target range.

What BlackBerry don't know at this point is, how big is this target segment? And Priv is their way to figure that out... they now have ecosystem, have the specs, have the unique productivity and security features, if that doesn't sell, that only means the target market segment doesn't exist (not big enough to sustain BlackBerry 's device business) .

John Chen did not pretend he know the answer, he said he "believe" they can make device business profitable again. Now it's the time for them to test this assumption without variables like lack of ecosystem, dated specs, etc. etc.

I for one am very interested in John 's test. If it fails, it's not the end of the world for BlackBerry. BlackBerry already found their footings in their rapid growing software business, they just need to cut the loss and become a business different from the one we once knew.

And we just have to accept that golden rule in trading world: don't bet against the trend again.

10-23-15 02:25 PM
    Companies are still buying their employees iPhones no? The 6s with only 16gb is $899 already, and companies are not buying that model, they are getting at least 64 gb or the 6s plus.
    $649.
    10-23-15 02:35 PM
    I think BlackBerry is aiming at the corporations who "value" security... the regulated industries. Like Wall Street, medical, military, governments, etc, and at the level where security matters, like executives, top-mid management, core staff, etc... plus the diehard fan base... 5 million a year.

If a client is not willing to pay for security and productivity, then this client does not "value" security BlackBerry represents, then he/she is not in the target range.

What BlackBerry don't know at this point is, how big is this target segment? And Priv is their way to figure that out... they now have ecosystem, have the specs, have the unique productivity and security features, if that doesn't sell, that only means the target market segment doesn't exist (not big enough to sustain BlackBerry 's device business) .

John Chen did not pretend he know the answer, he said he "believe" they can make device business profitable again. Now it's the time for them to test this assumption without variables like lack of ecosystem, dated specs, etc. etc.

I for one am very interested in John 's test. If it fails, it's not the end of the world for BlackBerry. BlackBerry already found their footings in their rapid growing software business, they just need to cut the loss and become a business different from the one we once knew.

And we just have to accept that golden rule in trading world: don't bet against the trend again.

The market for that type of security at this time is very small, additionally those that are interested in it require only BlackBerry 10 type of security not an Android based device.

The question is, is Good enough ,good enough for that market segment. I would have to say at least for my operations, no. Speaking from an Enterprise point of view, I know that certainly we won't be hopping on board with good enough. We have ordered a couple of the Privs for testing let's see how it goes.

If the hardware division fails, we would have no choice but to go with IOS as its the lesser of two evils.
    I do agree, if the experiment should fail ,BlackBerry would still survive due to their software division.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 02:50 PM
    Corporate wallets have closed significantly.
    10-23-15 03:11 PM

I am surprised those targets would be asking for a high-end camera, frankly. That one feature really puzzles me about the Priv as a pure-play business, "secure" phone.
    10-23-15 03:14 PM
    Enterprise or not, Chen wants anyone to buy the Priv, but with no marketing and late availability for Verizon the thing will be a small flash in the pan. .
    10-23-15 03:18 PM
    Enterprise or not, Chen wants anyone to buy the Priv, but with no marketing and late availability for Verizon the thing will be a small flash in the pan. .
    Really? You know when Verizon is getting it? I haven't heard of anything - late or otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 10:02 PM