virtual home> gesture > physical home
    10-28-15 07:43 PM
    That's a bunch of hyperbole.

You don't have to be noticeably accurate with Android or iOS home buttons. I can one-hand operation both without a care in the world. And then too, there's the added benefit that one-hand operation is best if the majority of gestures or button taps are all within a narrow range of focus. I have a Note 5 that is rather large in my hand, yet I can still navigate one handed with just a thumb everything I need without thinking with surprising efficiency and no stress. And I'm a tad bit clumsier dextrously than most people. Additionally, you can setup custom gestures with Android if that's your cup-o-tea (dunno about iOS as I haven't tried).

As for checking the status of your phone... with android all you need do is touch the screen (active display), and then remove your finger for it to go back to standby when you're done. It doesn't get any easier than that.

As for the software home button, no you don't have to look and aim for it. It's in the same place every time, it doesn't wander, and it's not like the two other buttons flanking it are so close that you might misfire.

Sure, the UI is "different" from BB devices, but it is in no way inferior. Too many people misinterpret "different" as "wrong", which is just silly. Which is the main reason that many BB users that attempt to switch platforms have a hard time adjusting. Because they're convinced that what they're used to is the only acceptable method.
    Well, there is also personal preference. I came to BB10 from IOS and immediately appreciated the bb10 OS flow and gestures, even though it was "different" at the time.

I am excited about the Priv and I'm sure I will get used to the OS, but I will certainly miss the layout, flow, and simplicity of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    10-28-15 08:29 PM
    Well, there is also personal preference. I came to BB10 from IOS and immediately appreciated the bb10 OS flow and gestures, even though it was "different" at the time.

I am excited about the Priv and I'm sure I will get used to the OS, but I will certainly miss the layout, flow, and simplicity of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    As someone who went the other way, from BlackBerry 10 to iOS, I don't necessarily think gestures are better or worse than a button. I miss the ease and "uniqueness" of having a gesture to get back to the home screen, but the iPhone's home button works every single time and I can't say it's distracting or interruptive, nor is it difficult to get used to. They both do the same thing so it's really moot for me anyway. One thing I think is really cool about BlackBerry's implementation is the peek to the lock screen and the re-lock you can do by swiping down. I really miss that.

Whether it's a gesture, a virtual button, or an actual button, your origin and destination are the same (from an app to your home screen); you just get there a little bit differently in each implementation.
    tmf06 likes this.
    10-28-15 08:36 PM
    Yes. It operates that way because it looks cool on screen, not because it has any sort of functionality or usability in the real world.
    Oh, what I was trying to imply that it actually is cool.
    When I navigated through my PlayBook the first time, I was smiling because it's fun and surprisingly efficient.

I think it is maybe like riding a wave on a surfboard.
    Yes, it looks cool to others, but actually it is cool (fun) AND it is actually the most efficient way to move forward on a wave.
    10-29-15 04:19 AM
    Web OS, Meego, BB10, Jolla - none of them have set the world on fire and all were/are gesture based OS's.

They are beloved by some but do not appear to appeal to the masses.
    10-29-15 05:10 AM
    Web OS, Meego, BB10, Jolla - none of them have set the world on fire and all were/are gesture based OS's.

The masses aren't aware of these.
    10-29-15 05:19 AM
    Priv is what it is: an overpriced android slider released with an old version of Android , a rebranded Antivirus app as security, and a crippled version of BBM that doesn't support video calling. It will sell poorly and the powers that be will scratch their collective heads and exit the hardware business....which is what Sybase hero has wanted all along.
    10-29-15 05:55 AM
    Priv is what it is: an overpriced android slider released with an old version of Android , a rebranded Antivirus app as security, and a crippled version of BBM that doesn't support video calling. It will sell poorly and the powers that be will scratch their collective heads and exit the hardware business....which is what Sybase hero has wanted all along.
    What a foolish comment, I can tell you hate BlackBerry so much. The priv will sell and no one cares about your childish comment.

Posted via Z30.
    Fidel Mercado likes this.
    10-29-15 07:11 AM
    The saddest part is gesture based os are the lowest market share, BlackBerry 10 meego OS..
    I wonder why they didn't just try to bring it on the Priv.

It could have been another differentiator, it could even have created some attention for BB10.

Maybe BlackBerry themselves do believe that a gesture based Android would sell significantly (like several 10.000 units) less than the regular one, or maybe they thought that nobody cares and simply didn't have enough resources to implement the BB10 gestures on Android anyways.

As always with this company, we'll never know.
    10-29-15 07:39 AM
    I wonder why they didn't just try to bring it on the Priv.

It could have been another differentiator, it could even have created some attention for BB10.

Maybe BlackBerry themselves do believe that a gesture based Android would sell significantly (like several 10.000 units) less than the regular one, or maybe they thought that nobody cares and simply didn't have enough resources to implement the BB10 gestures on Android anyways.

As always with this company, we'll never know.
    There's still a relatively decent chance that the Priv will implement BB gestures. They've obviously made their own launcher, or modified the default, as demonstrated by the Widget Pop-Up functionality, and a custom launcher can have it's own gestures built in. And too the Priv has the dual curved screen, but it doesn't seem to expand the display to the very edges like the Samsung Edge devices do, so that leads me to speculate that the dual curve's additional feature of being able to handle gestures at/from the edge of the screen will be utilized (otherwise there'd be zero reason to have the dual curved screen at all).
    10-29-15 07:53 AM
    lol this is what im talking about. Archaic??? Im not saying you dont feel like this, i believe you do...but when people say this I just feel like its plain and simple an overexaggeration. Gestures are wonderful...but i highly doubt anyone feels different from simply pressing a button.
    I do. I find the back button necessary on everything on Android both annoying and archaic. Gestures were a much more natural step forward, you interact with the same piece of glass to close an app as to open an app.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    10-29-15 09:32 AM
    I do. I find the back button necessary on everything on Android both annoying and archaic. Gestures were a much more natural step forward, you interact with the same piece of glass to close an app as to open an app.
    You don't need to use the back button to close an app. The only thing the back button is used for are apps who's developer hasn't utilized gestures to flip back to previous pages/dialogs.
    10-29-15 09:42 AM
    I for one will miss the gestures and agree with the OP. I thought that the gestures and flow were in part what made BB10 so efficient. I won't be getting the PRIV out of the gate because I am less than a year into my Passport and am happy with it. Once I need an upgrade, I will obviously consider Priv but I can say I am not excited about a home button.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 10:13 AM
    I for one will miss the gestures and agree with the OP. I thought that the gestures and flow were in part what made BB10 so efficient. I won't be getting the PRIV out of the gate because I am less than a year into my Passport and am happy with it. Once I need an upgrade, I will obviously consider Priv but I can say I am not excited about a home button.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty much sums up how I feel today, especially at the 945 price tag where I am.

10-29-15 10:17 AM
    You don't need to use the back button to close an app. The only thing the back button is used for are apps who's developer hasn't utilized gestures to flip back to previous pages/dialogs.
    The back button can perform any of the following actions:

Go back to previous screen (activity)
    Dismiss a popup
    Terminate a long running process
    Close on-screen keyboard
    Go to previous page on browser
    Exit the running app when on the last activity
    Return to previous app when on the last activity and the app was launched through intent from another app

Sound a bit confusing? These behaviors are also inconsistent between apps and games - as access to these methods vary between frameworks for developers. And can also be replaced with virtual buttons. Welcome to our new OS.

10-29-15 10:18 AM
    Maybe they could offer you a choice of launchers in settings (or initial setup).

1) Blackberry 'Classic' Launcher - with gestures a la BB10
    2) Android style launcher - basic Android Launcher

It's Android --- you can have whatever launcher you want. If they can make a launcher that works like the BB10 one, I would prefer that. I'm not sure how much work it would take to make this happen, but it would be nice. The Jolla launcher does allow gestures on Android, so there's a case study already available for this.

Giving people a choice at startup, with a question like: "Would you prefer your phone to work more like BB10 or Classic Android?" and then choosing the correct launcher would make it less likely to alienate loyal BB10 users.
    10-29-15 10:31 AM

Dismiss a popup
    Close on-screen keyboard
    Return to previous app when on the last activity and the app was launched through intent from another app

Sound a bit confusing? These behaviors are also inconsistent between apps and games - as access to these methods vary between frameworks for developers. And can also be replaced with virtual buttons. Welcome to our new OS.

Wow, we've moved from the Home Button to the Back Button. The Volume/Camera Zoom key is next as that's also very confusing
    10-29-15 10:41 AM
    The gestures that work well on BlackBerry 10 phones will not really be ideal for phones that size.

Posted via CB10
    they cant make gesture on Android
    now its about google decision not blackberry

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 11:58 AM
    I went from Android 6 years ago to BlackBerry, then I went from the Bold 9900 to the z10. I adapted, I'm sure for the price I paid for the Priv, I will adapt again, because we Humans are programmed to adapt and change. If I can't adapt, then put me in a old folks home and close the door!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 04:20 PM

Dismiss a popup
    Close on-screen keyboard

Yes, the back button *can* perform those actions, but it's not necessary nor required to perform those actions. Which is what you had alluded to when you said that you were frustrated because you *had* to use it. The back button only exists to ensure backwards compatibility with older apps. Eventually it will be deprecated and disappear just like the Menu button did a while back.
    10-29-15 04:59 PM
    they cant make gesture on Android
    now its about google decision not blackberry

Posted via CB10
    Sure they can. Various OEMs have done it. Various app developers have done it. Various custom Launcher/UI's have done it. What makes you think it can't be done?
    10-29-15 05:04 PM

Apps..? Marketing?

:-D

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy, ... or was that privacy!?! ;-) 
    10-29-15 05:11 PM

Dismiss a popup
    Close on-screen keyboard

Doesn't matter, Joe Average presses it anyway and is happy.... ;-D

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy, ... or was that privacy!?! ;-) 
    10-29-15 05:13 PM
    I went from Android 6 years ago to BlackBerry, then I went from the Bold 9900 to the z10. I adapted, I'm sure for the price I paid for the Priv, I will adapt again, because we Humans are programmed to adapt and change. If I can't adapt, then put me in a old folks home and close the door!!!

Posted via CB10
    I would leave the door open. Some of them smell pretty bad.
    10-29-15 05:26 PM
    Lol you're talking about Tony Stark. A fictional character....and we have nothing close to that kind of technology. If you wanna go to that extent, then even BB10 gestures should be considered archaic lol.

I don't think a home button makes things nearly as complicated as ya'll do but that's why everyone has their own opinions lol

Posted via CB10
    Gotta stark, ahem start somewhere.... :-)

10-29-15 05:56 PM
88 1234