Playbook and BB10 OS were my "coup de coeur " from day one, they defined a new style of navigating and to me, that made the unique difference, enough to have been loyal to the brand.

If my choice is a home button or gesture, I will stick to what makes BlackBerry unique.
    10-27-15 03:59 PM
    It seems as though they try to replicate the gestures concept on android. They have clearly been working in this idea for some time, because a lot of these ideas seem well hashed out. Time will tell though

Blackberry Z10 was the beginning. The Z30 is my upgrade
    10-27-15 04:27 PM
    The gestures that work well on BlackBerry 10 phones will not really be ideal for phones that size.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 05:10 PM
    Playbook and BB10 OS were my "coup de coeur " from day one, they defined a new style of navigating and to me, that made the unique difference, enough to have been loyal to the brand.

If my choice is a home button or gesture, I will stick to what makes BlackBerry unique.
    You should also understand that the priv also targets existing Android users, not just BB10 ones. These users are used to a certain type of navigation. You can't replace the existing Android navigation scheme with the BB10 one.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and dracolnyte like this.
    10-27-15 05:36 PM
    I don't understand why people act like they absolutely can't navigate using a home button. I love the gestures but it's not as if they are so mind blowing that they make a home button completely obsolete. At least BlackBerry is at least attempting to give many of the things that BlackBerry users like about their devices to this new one. 99% of the people using smartphones have no issue with it. Is a home button that bad lol?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Rello; 10-28-15 at 09:35 AM.
    10-27-15 05:42 PM
    Android uses gestures, too. You can pull down from the top to view notifications or change settings, you swipe left and right to go between home screens, and I'm pretty sure swiping from the bottom brings up Google Now. Swiping to go to the home screen was just a different way of going about achieving the same goal; getting to the home screen. I'd argue that a button is better for one-handed use anyway. You don't have to readjust your grip on the device so that there's enough pressure on your thumb so that it's recognized by the bezel.
    10-27-15 06:06 PM
    It uses gestures, just different ones than we're used to on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 06:39 PM
    It's not just gestures for the sake of navigating but the flow and movement.
    Nothing compares to it, no android, apple or windows product comes close.

And no, home button isn't "bad" but it doesn't click with what I prefer.
    Gestures are musical or artful.....yes I know, I sound overly esoteric.

Like is said, playbook os and bb10 are my "coup de coeur"

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    10-27-15 07:04 PM
    Stick with the BB10 phone then. Why whine about it

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    10-27-15 07:29 PM
    Just use whatever works for you.

*A3-A20
    10-27-15 07:44 PM
    I had no issue making the switch from BB10 to Android. I certainly don't regret it. There's obviously an adjustment period but you learn to accept what you miss on one platform and embrace what the new platform has to offer that the previous platform did not.

I think the Priv does exactly what it should; bring security over to a platform that's widely accepted and popular. Outside of security there's really no other reason (aside from being used to the OS) to keep on keeping with a failing platform.

I love BB10, but it's not that much different once you adapt.

~TheRealFixxxer
    howards likes this.
    10-27-15 08:01 PM
    For the love of all, I really wish people would stick the subject.
    It's not whining or adapting.

It is silly to have no gesture on a blackberry.
    Point.

Did I say I was whining. No
    Did I say I was not adapting. No
    I am preferring a platform which to me is ahead if it's time.

Therefore, I find it silly that the structure of a platform is modified to appease and cater to those who on the contrary don't want to adapt and whine there aren't enough apps, that they can't snapchat or whatever.

And yes, I will stick to my Passport because it is my choice.

10-27-15 08:28 PM
    Android uses gestures, too. You can pull down from the top to view notifications or change settings, you swipe left and right to go between home screens, and I'm pretty sure swiping from the bottom brings up Google Now. Swiping to go to the home screen was just a different way of going about achieving the same goal; getting to the home screen. I'd argue that a button is better for one-handed use anyway. You don't have to readjust your grip on the device so that there's enough pressure on your thumb so that it's recognized by the bezel.
    There's an app that switches the Google now function and set it to home instead. Or recent apps.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-27-15 08:38 PM

Point.

Therefore, I find it silly that the structure of a platform is modified to appease and cater to those who on the contrary don't want to adapt and whine there aren't enough apps, that they can't snapchat or whatever.

The failure of BlackBerry to cater to the market is exactly why the company is barely alive right now.

Anyway, gestures aren't what made BlackBerry 10 unique. Gestures aren't unique to BB10 and other operating systems used them before BlackBerry 10. Gestures didn't exist in BlackBerry 7 and prior versions of BlackBerry OS. To say that it's silly to not include them on BlackBerry's Android skin is kinda funny. Why take something that's been proven to be successful and put something on top just for the sake of being different?
    10-27-15 08:42 PM
    I do understand what u mean OP. But in order for BlackBerry to remain viable, it has to adapt some. But I get ur point.

Posted via Classic
    10-27-15 10:19 PM
    The problem we are facing is that many people are under the belief that the Priv is running some special forked version of Android. I personally was in this camp in the very beginning, assuming that it would have android architecture but with the features of BB10.

The Priv is stock android with some added security under the hood, some of blackberries apps and a few bells and whistles here and there.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2639/SR .2474  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    10-27-15 10:35 PM
    Apple, according to rumours maybe ditching the home button for the7 can't wait for the volte face from my son about how it's better! When I said I didn't find ios intuitive because of the home button compared to blackberry he thought I was being ridiculous!
    Nothing is real or good now though unless apple have done it!

Swiped on my beautiful Passport!
    10-28-15 02:30 AM
    Its android and I'm sure someone will do it as long as there is enough Privers to buy it.

love your curVes and all your edges all your peRfEct imPerfections
    10-28-15 02:38 AM
    You should also understand that the priv also targets existing Android users, not just BB10 ones. These users are used to a certain type of navigation. You can't replace the existing Android navigation scheme with the BB10 one.
    Why not my sister borrowed my spare z10 when her s3 died. She loved it. She didn't want to go back to Android. But there was no alternative. She thought about the z30 but as the sales guy said. It's a 2 year old phone. The newer ones have way better cameras. BlackBerry has shot them selves in the foot by not releasing an z10/30. Upgrade path.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 02:54 AM

Point.

I get what you mean and agree with you. There's just no flow in any other OS.
    The home button police just don't get it.
    10-28-15 02:57 AM
    The saddest part is gesture based os are the lowest market share, BlackBerry 10 meego OS..
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-28-15 03:08 AM

Err Meego?

I loved the gestures, but dont really miss them if i'm honest
    It's just a way of doing things and is no quicker in most cases
    10-28-15 04:23 AM
    I feel with the OP.

Home buttons really feel like the days before yesterday, in every sci-fi/action movie you see people using gestures.
    Tony Stark almost never pushes any buttons for anything, right?
    Or take the Chief of PreCrime John Anderton (Minority Report), any buttons?

Buttons are only used to input data, like putting the destination coordinates into the star navigation system of the Enterprise. That's when you need buttons.
    But even that was partially replaced by gestures in the movie Prometheus, where you see Michael Fassbender playing with mother earth inside a galaxy model.

So, yes, everybody can use a home button, everybody knows how to use them.
    But home buttons feel so damn archaic.
    10-28-15 08:33 AM
    I feel with the OP.

Home buttons really feel like the days before yesterday, in every sci-fi/action movie you see people using gestures.
    Tony Stark almost never pushes any buttons for anything, right?
    Or take the Chief of PreCrime John Anderton (Minority Report), any buttons?

Buttons are only used to input data, like putting the destination coordinates into the star navigation system of the Enterprise. That's when you need buttons.
    But even that was partially replaced by gestures in the movie Prometheus, where you see Michael Fassbender playing with mother earth inside a galaxy model.

So, yes, everybody can use a home button, everybody knows how to use them.
    But home buttons feel so damn archaic.
    Archaic? You mean like the PKB? That's a boatload of buttons
    10-28-15 09:32 AM
    Archaic? You mean like the PKB? That's a boatload of buttons
    As I said, buttons are okay to input data.
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    10-28-15 09:42 AM
88 123 ...