I think advertising the Priv in a significant way would be a good value / $$ proposition. With app gap gone, getting word out is key.

Any thoughts? Anyone think this is a realistic possibility? I think commercials and adds in popular magazines / papers. The Economist, WSJ, NY Times, Wash Post, USA Today, etc and their international equivalents.

Posted via CB10
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    10-15-15 09:35 AM
    Yes they'll need to advertise it if they expect consumers to buy it.... once it's available.
    10-15-15 09:49 AM
    Yes they'll need to advertise it if they expect consumers to buy it.... once it's available.
    But they won't.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and Stewartj1 like this.
    10-15-15 06:09 PM
    But they won't.

Posted via CB10
    I think they will because this will be an OS everyone is familiar with and I think they will take advantage of that....especially with "new" features BlackBerry comes out with for the newbies

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 06:14 PM
    "Last game of the year, Brent. Can't hold anything back now!"

Posted via CB10
    hoopitz likes this.
    10-15-15 06:32 PM
    I don't think that I can watch the train wreck that will be their marketing campaign for this phone. I'm REALLY hoping that they get some support from carriers and/or Google to help sell this thing. They have so many things that they can flaunt - great specs, Android with Google Play, security, keyboard, etc... - and yet, I still think that they're going to put together a half-assed marketing campaign. I hope that I'm so wrong on this one.
    luc4625, BerryRipe and vanrickman like this.
    10-15-15 06:41 PM
    The phone needs great reviews. They had better test their test models before sending them out. They need working models in the carrier stores like they do in Canada. The could advertise the benefits of their custom features. I hope the slider has a nice click... like the iPhone power button. Nice clicks are not to be dismissed. It is like closing a door on luxury car.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 06:47 PM
    Unfortunately, their cash limitations don't afford them ability to do a marketing blitz ala latest competition recent campaigns. Guerilla marketing can achieve results but haven't seen very successful with the mature product companies.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 06:48 PM
    Everyone will blame the carriers for not putting 1000 of them in the front window.
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    10-15-15 07:09 PM
    Everyone will blame the carriers for not putting 1000 of them in the front window.
    All I want is one working model in every store.

Posted via CB10
    lady of the lake likes this.
    10-15-15 07:11 PM
    What I would really like to see here in the USA is for someone at the carrier who will have some working knowledge of the device and be able to show customers how the device is value added. The price will also be a big determining factor.

I would gladly be a Blackberry rep here in the USA and promote the new Priv. I just hope the sales folks at the carriers here have the same passion when selling the new Priv as I do, only time will tell.
    10-15-15 07:26 PM
    They have the money to advertise this. I get that they're trying to conserve cash, but this is all or nothing for handsets and they should put the $$$ behind it and try to generate a critical mass of conversation. That means not just tech bloggers but business sites and magazines/papers as well as some mainstream ones. Put this in GQ and Maxim and Economist and on Fox News.

If only..

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 09:32 PM
    The right advertising campaign at the right target market and via the right channels will not be overly expensive. They really can't afford not to advertise.
    10-15-15 09:40 PM
    Judging from BlackBerry's terrible track record there will be very little advertising. And I'm willing to bet they drop the F1 Mercedes sponsorship.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 10:09 PM
    How about a push, drag or pull sale to get old BlackBerry's off the road.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 10:13 PM
    Judging from BlackBerry's terrible track record there will be very little advertising. And I'm willing to bet they drop the F1 Mercedes sponsorship.
    That's a given. Thor signed a 3-year contract back before Mercedes was doing well, and now that they are, they'll be looking for a whole lot more money to extend it, and BB isn't in a position to pay. They will let it expire without renewing. Of course, I doubt their sponsorship sold enough phones to cover the cost of the sponsorship via gross profits, and we all know that BB10's "net profits" are actually a loss, so BB didn't achieve any real value from that sponsorship anyway.
    10-15-15 10:43 PM
    What I would really like to see here in the USA is for someone at the carrier who will have some working knowledge of the device and be able to show customers how the device is value added. The price will also be a big determining factor.

I would gladly be a Blackberry rep here in the USA and promote the new Priv. I just hope the sales folks at the carriers here have the same passion when selling the new Priv as I do, only time will tell.
    Yeah, if the rumors are true, and the Priv is coming to all the major carriers, they better get the store reps on board. In fact, if they spent most of whatever marketing budget they have on that, I don't think it would be the worst idea. Nothing worse than reps shooting the phone down, and any interest people may have in it.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-15-15 11:24 PM
    That's a given. Thor signed a 3-year contract back before Mercedes was doing well, and now that they are, they'll be looking for a whole lot more money to extend it, and BB isn't in a position to pay. They will let it expire without renewing. Of course, I doubt their sponsorship sold enough phones to cover the cost of the sponsorship via gross profits, and we all know that BB10's "net profits" are actually a loss, so BB didn't achieve any real value from that sponsorship anyway.
    It's impossible to say what any amount of marketing does to bring in the cash. We could say that if it wasn't for the Mercedes sponsorship, BlackBerry would have had such a phenomenal loss they'd be bankrupt by now. Or not. Can't be measured, barely even guessed.
    10-15-15 11:34 PM
    That sponsorhip has been the biggest exposure Blackberry has gotten.
    Considering a lot of people think Blackberry has gone bust because they see a click bait headline and believe it, exposure is quite important for them.
    But yeah i agree it probably did not equal much sales but i think the sponsorship is important for them to maintain. I doubt they will though
    10-16-15 04:29 AM
    Too late for a marketing campaign. They probably hoping that word of mouth will be better for the Priv.
    10-16-15 05:02 AM
    I don't think that I can watch the train wreck that will be their marketing campaign for this phone. I'm REALLY hoping that they get some support from carriers and/or Google to help sell this thing. They have so many things that they can flaunt - great specs, Android with Google Play, security, keyboard, etc... - and yet, I still think that they're going to put together a half-assed marketing campaign. I hope that I'm so wrong on this one.
    Half-a$$ed or full asinine... ?

J/k :-D

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-16-15 06:38 AM
    I think in this situation, Elon Musk's method would work best. Spend all the money on making the best possible product, then market it after people start buying it because it's so great.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 05:46 PM
    Advertise ! Any kind of advertising for pity's sake if you want it to sell. IMO if BlackBerry ever took a look at past history they should be able to see where they went wrong.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 05:53 PM
    BlackBerry shuns promotion like Dracula shuns the light.

Even if by some magic BlackBerry delivered a solid promotional campaign for the Priv it wouldn't make a dent in sales as the BlackBerry brand is basically in the toilet. End-users will run a mile when they see just what a train wreck BlackBerry is despite how flashy and cool their products might look.

Chen's transformation of BlackBerry into an Android OEM will erode the company's reputation and earnings even further. What enterprise or prosumer will want to deal with a company that was committed to security and data protection and is now tossing all that away in a desperate attempt to remain relevant ? Their alliance with Google is akin to selling one's soul to the devil. Google is a despicable and treacherous entity that won't stop in its quest to collect and mine vast amount's private data from individuals and corporations. They need to be stopped - not supported.

Chen has allowed BlackBerry to be sodomized by US interests that want to see BlackBerry eradicated. He has a lot to answer for and if I was a shareholder in BB I would be screaming blue murder at the traitors who supposedly represent investors interests.
    10-16-15 07:15 PM
    They put all of this money into some great BlackBerry 10 devices, you would think they would want to push advertising and sells instead of letting it go to waste. I think they should have not even messed with making the Leap. They could have used that money to market the Passport and Classic. I think if they pushed hard enough and shown some excitement about their devices that could have helped made a difference. They need to get over the "invincible" mentality and step up their game, unless they would rather just phase out hardware completely.

As for the Priv, they will be delusional if they do not market this device. It has a lot of potential.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    10-16-15 08:06 PM
42 12