I'm going on a business trip to Mexico for a week at the end of this month. Not looking to have all the functionality of the BB down there--strictly phone use. Anyone have any experience with prepaid SIM cards I can use with my Tmobile 8320? Any websites people have used to purchase these? Looking for recommendations...

Thanks!
    01-17-08 02:21 PM
    Hi.
    If your BB is locked to Tmobile, you will be able to make calls by roaming on Movistar (our fourth largest carrier). If your BB is unlocked, then you might use a prepaid SIM from Telcel (our largest and therefore more ubiquitous carrier). You will be assigned a local number and you can purchase time in 3, 5, 10, 20 and 50 dollars increments (rough peso to dollar conversion), plus you'll have to pay 5 bucks for the actual SIM.
    Telcel's "amigo" system (that's how they call it) works like this: your credit expires after 1 month. If within 3 months after that you purchase some more credit, then you can use that plus whatever you got leftover and you get to keep your number.
    That said, it's not a very good deal because long distance calls are VERY expensive.
    What I would do instead is to purchase one of those long distance calling cards that will let you call a local number in Mexico and get connected through them to wherever you want to call at a much better rate.
    Hope all this is helpful to you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-08 03:50 PM
    Hi.
    If I went to Mexico and got a prepaid Telcel SIM card would I still be able to use the data like instant messaging, e-mail, internet, etc. Or would I still be charged internationally? I'm going to Mexico in March and can't imagine being without my BlackBerry service for two weeks. I know that if the phone is locked, it automatically change to roaming on or and charges extra for phone calls, text messages, data, etc. Please help me out. Any help is appreciated.
    01-22-08 02:07 AM
    Hello there.
    You are correct.
    If you are on AT&T you will roam on Telcel and if you are on T-mo, you roam on Movistar. While on Telcel network you can use data services (BIS) for a steep fee, but if you're on Movistar you can't, as they don't offer BIS at all.

Here is what I'll do: If you are with the blue guys give them a call and ask them if they can open up their international data service plan for you for the days you are in Mexico instead of for a whole year, as whatever they'd charge you for that would be cheaper than just using Telcel's servers while roaming. If you are with the guys in pink you are definitelly out of luck because even if you unlock your BB, Telcel doesn't offer BIS on their prepaid service, and the last thing you want to do is sign up a contract with them.
    Sorry if I can't be of more help, but that's the way it is.
    01-22-08 09:55 AM
    Oh man that sucks! I probably should have stuck with AT&T then, they have the blackberry too and the iphone IF I ever get bored of the blackberry. Hope I don't but I have a habit of getting bored of my new phones easily. I switched to T-Mobile to get the SideKick 3 then got a BlackBerry 8800. Don't think I want to cancel my contract again so I guess I will have to go without phone service for two weeks. Thanks for the reply and help though

Last edited by Mike4391; 01-22-08 at 01:22 PM.
    01-22-08 10:06 AM
    Thanks! This helped a lot!
    01-22-08 01:01 PM
    Okay I've been looking at the different plans that T-Mobile has. I see one that says WorldClass International Service and another that says BlackBerry Unlimited International E-mail. Anyone know exactly what these are?
    01-27-08 08:18 PM
    They are a little misleading, they don't give any better roaming rates, just allows you to roam internationally.

01-28-08 12:37 AM
    Mike: Add the "Blackberry Unlimited International E-mail" for the number of days you are gone. T-Mobile will add it the day before you go and even automatically turn it off after. I use it when I travel outside the US and it has worked great. A friend of mine said it worked fine in Mexico City.

Okay I've been looking at the different plans that T-Mobile has. I see one that says WorldClass International Service and another that says BlackBerry Unlimited International E-mail. Anyone know exactly what these are?
    01-28-08 03:34 PM
    Mike: Add the "Blackberry Unlimited International E-mail" for the number of days you are gone. T-Mobile will add it the day before you go and even automatically turn it off after. I use it when I travel outside the US and it has worked great. A friend of mine said it worked fine in Mexico City.
    Thanks.. but what does it do? How much are you charged? What is it? You can check your e-mail? Or is it all data (e-mail, web browsing, instant messaging)?
    01-29-08 01:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD