Here's a quote from the interview, with a link to the full interview below:

Are you still excited about Blackberry?

For business, Blackberry is still very important. Just recently there was some news about President Obama and his Blackberry. Prime Minister Cameron says he can run his affair from wherever with Blackberry. Angela Merkel is a user.When you need security government all over the world use Blackberry. Businesses like banks use Blackberry. But your general everyday consumer typically is not going to use Blackberry. Blackberry is moving to professionals and focusing on corporate enterprise users. We have a very interesting guy John Chen. It's been one year now and he has done a phenomenal job. Blackberry passport has come out. Devices is only one part of the business. He's got Blackberry enterprise server, manages all your devices and he has Internet of things that he is developing. So, there lots of possibilities with the guy. A year ago there might have been some concerns over survival; today there are no concerns with $3 billion in cash in the company. He said he will break even within a quarter or two. I am very positive.

Watsa lines up $1 billion investment for India - The Times of India
    11-24-14 08:02 AM
    Very realistic response from Prem..

Regards,

Gautham
    11-24-14 08:12 AM
    Prem Watsa? What kind of BS name is that?

Like Hulk Hogan. "Wotcha gonna do brother??"

Posted via CB10
    Sallem, mister2d and neoberry99 like this.
    11-24-14 08:40 AM
    he had to have faith to wanna buy it at one point and specially with the 1.25 billion him and a few others put into it. He had over 10% ownership in BB at one point and had to downgrade it to 10%. at least hes honest with what happened and is happening for them.
    11-24-14 08:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    Still better than yours! :P

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1, raino, mister2d and 4 others like this.
    11-24-14 08:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    He is a true billionaire who came to Canada from India with 200 dollars in his pocket. He made his money first in insurance and then moved onto building a conglomerate by deep value investing. He does his homework and rarely loses. He's not some con artist running a bulls$$$$ hedge fund in New York that specialize in losing money. Do yourself a favor and instead of criticizing his name, buy a few shares of Fairfax financial. You'll actually make some money to buy passport 2.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 and doxa sub750T like this.
    11-24-14 08:59 AM
    He is a true billionaire who came to Canada from India with 200 dollars in his pocket. He made his money first in insurance and then moved onto building a conglomerate by deep value investing. He does his homework and rarely loses. He's not some con artist running a bulls$$$$ hedge fund in New York that specialize in losing money. Do yourself a favor and instead of criticizing his name, buy a few shares of Fairfax financial. You'll actually make some money to buy passport 2.

Posted via CB10
    Before even that maybe he can do himself and the world a favor and learn to respect not only his elders, and learn from them but respect others given birth name! At the end of the day for rich or poor it's the ONLY thing left in this world people cannot take away from you!!!

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    11-24-14 09:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    You forgot to turn your sarcasm detector on today. I'm sure this was simply a playful poke at Prem WhatsApp on here.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    11-24-14 09:31 AM
    Lol.

Thanks for so much wise advices

Now take a chill pill. When it comes to business I can handle the likes of Musks, Trumps or Buffet. Lol.

Seems that Prem WhatsUp is some kind of hero or god here. Lol.

"Do some research". Lol. What a great advice

Anyway, now let's stay on topic.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 09:42 AM
    Lol.

Now take a chill pill. When it comes to business I can handle the likes of Musks, Trumps or Buffet. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    Lol. There's only one BB God and that would be Lazaradis. I think that's how ya spell it. Lol

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    11-24-14 10:04 AM
    You forgot to turn your sarcasm detector on today. I'm sure this was simply a playful poke at Prem WhatsApp on here.
    Perhaps sarcasm, perhaps subtle racism. If it's sarcasm, we can certainly say they stink at it.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 10:06 AM
    Good interview from a successful business person who built his fortune from the ground up.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    11-24-14 10:32 AM
    Let's try not to get too chippy today, folks. Fistmaster tried to make a little joke. It wasn't well-received. No big deal. Let's move on.
    I'm not in the mood to see this thread turn into a flame war. Just was trying to share a bit of positive perspective.

Also, while we're on the topic of Blackberry's present and future, does anyone know how many Passports have actually sold so far?
    11-24-14 11:03 AM
    BlackBerry can't be jack of all trades and master of none. Thanks for sharing OP.
    11-24-14 11:35 AM
    Prem is saying the same things Chen is saying: concentrate on enterprise until BB is again profitable and then re-evaluate the consumer market in 2015. Unfortunately that means Passport and Classic isn't going to get the widest carrier distribution and future touch devices get delayed but thats where the chips fall for now.
    11-24-14 12:08 PM
    Prem is saying the same things Chen is saying: concentrate on enterprise until BB is again profitable and then re-evaluate the consumer market in 2015. Unfortunately that means Passport and Classic isn't going to get the widest carrier distribution and future touch devices get delayed but thats where the chips fall for now.
    BlackBerry will evaluate the consumer market again but 2015 is way too optimistic. This is a slow road back to the black and to tackle the consumer market they will need to be in a much more secure position then they are now or will be in 2015! I'm as optimistic as anyone but they need to keep focused on the enterprise market for a while yet. When the time is right, you'll start to see a more positive sentiment in BlackBerry's favor and when they have the resources available, THEN you can see a play for the consumer market. It just doesn't make sense now, nor will it for a few years to come.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 02:10 PM
    Lol.

Posted via CB10
    Sure you can ... if you could handle the likes of Musks, Trumps or Buffet you'd know a few things about them, one of which is never mistake or comment on someone you don't know - not make the mistake of unconfirmed or mistaken identity.

This post is just for clarifiation:

Origninally you posted about Prem Watsa not Prem WhatsApp

Posted via CB10
    Again just for clarification, thats all.

Recently Prem stated $1 Billion investment in India ... that's a LOT of chunk of change and a dangerous investment ... but he knows his business on investment worlds better than I do.
    11-24-14 03:08 PM
    Which in turn is a playful poke at the investor's name and a popular messaging app on smartphones... :-)

No 'h' please... hope it's all in good fun!

? ? ? Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    mister2d likes this.
    11-24-14 04:16 PM
    BlackBerry will evaluate the consumer market again but 2015 is way too optimistic. This is a slow road back to the black and to tackle the consumer market they will need to be in a much more secure position then they are now or will be in 2015! I'm as optimistic as anyone but they need to keep focused on the enterprise market for a while yet. When the time is right, you'll start to see a more positive sentiment in BlackBerry's favor and when they have the resources available, THEN you can see a play for the consumer market. It just doesn't make sense now, nor will it for a few years to come.

Posted via CB10
    I believe the truth is somewhere between the two assessments quoted above.

What criteria can we apply to be able to tell "BlackBerry is doing consumer" again?

Advertising in mainstream media?
    Building the 5inch+ high-end phablet?
    Putting more ecosystem-type apps on the phone (preloaded)?
    Expanding on the Amazon cooperation?
    Doing "more Android" (whatever that means)?
    Getting big-name mainstream apps on board ?
    Etc...

Both Prem and Chen know what needs to be done now to stabilize the company and make it profitable again. We don't know what the consumer market will look like in a year - or two... :-)

11-24-14 04:26 PM
    This only shows how much he trusts Chen... BlackBerry will turn around.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 04:29 PM

Etc...
    Advertising and carrier agreements. In order to get the latter here in the States given its sales record, Blackberry is going to have to pony up some money for co-promotion in order to drive customers to stores. The exclusives route doesn't help much and means alot of delays out of their control. Thats why I think they'll look at consumers again in 2015 and if they plan on making a push it will happen in the fall with the announcement of new models Passport 2 and/or a new touch.
    11-24-14 04:56 PM
    I believe the truth is somewhere between the two assessments quoted above.

What criteria can we apply to be able to tell "BlackBerry is doing consumer" again?

Etc...

Both Prem and Chen know what needs to be done now to stabilize the company and make it profitable again. We don't know what the consumer market will look like in a year - or two... :-)

I don't know what criteria would qualify BlackBerry to be making a play for the consumer market, I don't even think that's the correct way to look at myself. I was just quoting Chen who stated they will make a noticeable effort for the consumer market when they are 'ready' to. To me, that means when they are completely stable financially and have much more money to throw at gaining consumer market share, they will give it the old college try, lol. Everything you see now, as far as marketing I believe is to keep brand awareness alive. When it's time to focus on the consumer side of things it will / should be very clear to everyone they are back and better than ever! All the moves you mentioned, amazon app store, 5" devices etc are not only currently beneficial but can more importantly be seen as ground work being laid for the future. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 05:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why don't you just shut it!

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 06:03 PM
    Wow. You must be the voice of the right and true. You should make speeches for a better world. I believe in you. And by the way. Nice avatar. You into "wrestling"? adult men in speedos and masks hunting. I crack up here.

Prem Wotsa is a respectable man, to stay on topic. Every billionaire who had such a path deserve credits.

But where is the user who threw the word" rasicm" around??? Where is that fine sir?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 08:46 PM
    Why you so mad? Had a bad hair day, "bruh"?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 08:47 PM
27 12