does anyone know of a pre-paid blackberry service out there? my teenage sister wants one for christmas, and i'd like to help her out but don't want to co-sign on a two-year contract with a 17-year old...

any ideas? she lives in arkansas.

thanks.
    12-09-08 09:19 PM
    I guess the age old question will surface... Does a 17 year old really need a blackberry?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 09:34 PM
    ^ oh no not again! but I think your best option is to look an your carriers website and see what types of plans they offer. Good luck!

12-09-08 09:45 PM
    T-Mobile has their flex pay plans that don't require a contract. The only downside is that you have to pay full retail price for the phone.
    12-09-08 09:49 PM
    ^ oh no not again! but I think your best option is to look an your carriers website and see what types of plans they offer. Good luck!

Eric, where have you been? I haven't seen you post in forever!

12-09-08 09:51 PM
    thanks for quikDC for your answer. i will look into the t-mobile option.

as for jenaywins comment "Does a 17 year old really need a blackberry....?"

1) how is that an age old question?
    and
    2) why not?

your post was in no way helpful.

thanks again quikDC.
    12-09-08 09:55 PM
    You can get her a berry off ebay and let her get the pay as go sim but she won't have any data, does she need data?

12-09-08 10:01 PM

and
    2) why not?

thanks again quikDC.
    Uh-oh

Jenay...don't do it.....
    12-09-08 10:01 PM

and
    2) why not?

thanks again quikDC.
    You are obviously new here.

This has been an ongoing theme here on cb - as to whether or not teenagers need a blackberry. That was what I was referencing.

At any rate. As stated above, your best bet for full data and voice services will be via tmobile flexpay. However, you will indeed be required to pay full retail for the device, which can get expensive. You may look into a slightly used device, either unlocked or tmo branded, for your sister.

12-09-08 10:02 PM
    Uh-oh

Jenay...don't do it.....
    Hehehehehehehe. How did you know I was replying right then...

12-09-08 10:02 PM
    your best bet is to call the providers.. t-mobile - at&t - verizon spint etc and see what they offer...

I can't recall what carriers actually offer a pay as you go but they all recently started offering bigger phones for pay as you go.

however on verizon I know any blackberry activated on there service needs a minimum 30 dollar data plan.
    12-10-08 02:20 AM
    does anyone know of a pre-paid blackberry service out there? my teenage sister wants one for christmas, and i'd like to help her out but don't want to co-sign on a two-year contract with a 17-year old...

thanks.
    Not sure if this helps, but on the VerizonWireless.com site, you can buy the BB Storm under the option 'month-to-month', but the cost is full retail list at $499. Then it takes you to the plan screen where the cheapest one is 'Nationwide Basic' at 39.99 per month. Unfortunately, this one requires you pay for each text message, and for a teenager, that is NOT a good option. lol But, you won't have to co-sign or sign up for a contract, according to what a store rep told me, so that would eliminate some of your concerns.
    12-10-08 01:48 PM

thanks.
    I pulled this up with a quick Google search:

Resolved Question�

"PrePaid cell phone from Cingular, can I use a blackberry with the prepaid program?"

11 months ago

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Yes -

If you buy a Cingular/AT&T branded Blackberry you won't have any problems.
    If you decide to purchase a new unlocked Blackberry from one of the many online retailers you may lose some of the Cingular/AT&T specific functionality [which will mainly be the links to find out the number of minutes you have left on your count and what not] Otherwise, you shouldn't have any problems. I've been using unlocked phones on my prepaid TMobile account for the last 7 years."

PrePaid cell phone from Cingular, can I use a blackberry with the prepaid program? - Yahoo! Answers
    12-10-08 08:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD