My work will have me traveling from Boston to London frequently enough to merit having a full contract with a carrier in each city. I currently have a full voice/data contract with Orange in the UK with Blackberry Bold and I'd like to get a voice/data contract with AT&T in Boston for the same handset, with the idea that I'd switch SIMs when I travel between them.

Does this sound practical? I understand I would need to unlock the handset, but would there be a lot of reconfig on the data side to make the phone work natively, (ie. loading service books) every time? Has anyone else done this, or seen a post here on how it works? I've searched the forums but could not find mention of this setup.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    01-14-09 05:21 AM
    I think you will have problems registering IMEI and PIN with two different BIS servers at the same time. You may also have difficulty unregistering from the first server before you can register with the second, because you don't have a new device to save in place of the original IMEI and PIN configuration. Normally this option is only used for a permanent substitution, not to remove the device for a short period and then reinstate it.

You would probably need help from each provider's support techs to leave your account with empty settings. I suspect they will be rather less than energetic if it becomes a regular task, but you can always ask them.

The other option might be to pickup a cheap, used Blackberry which gets used as the placeholder on the account you're not using. You would also need to zap the email push on the idle account.
    01-14-09 08:34 AM
    I think you will have problems registering IMEI and PIN with two different BIS servers at the same time. You may also have difficulty unregistering from the first server before you can register with the second, because you don't have a new device to save in place of the original IMEI and PIN configuration. Normally this option is only used for a permanent substitution, not to remove the device for a short period and then reinstate it.

You would probably need help from each provider's support techs to leave your account with empty settings. I suspect they will be rather less than energetic if it becomes a regular task, but you can always ask them.

The other option might be to pickup a cheap, used Blackberry which gets used as the placeholder on the account you're not using. You would also need to zap the email push on the idle account.

You could probably get a 72XX or 8700 fairly cheap on ebay.
    01-14-09 08:45 AM
    I am in a similar situation. I am on Rogers and will be travelling for about 6 months. So my cousin got me the ATT blackberry int'l plan. I will be keeping my Rogers service while I travel, since I can not suspend or put on hold my data plan (it's $30/6GB) without losing the plan. So I'm going to give my cousin my Rogers SIM for him to use while I am away (he has moved from the states back to Toronto) AND I will use the ATT SIM while I am travelling. Last night I popped in the ATT SIM in my unlocked Rogers Bold and everything worked: bb msgr, push email (rogers.blackberry.net address)...no IMEI or PIN related issues at all...

Question for OP, do you need access to two BIS servers? For example, if you have email, bb msgr set up with ONE account, then it SHOULD work fine regardless which SIM is in the phone, provided both accounts have blackberry data plans...I think this is correct, but would love a confirmation
    01-14-09 09:05 AM
    Actually, I see no reason why I'd need two BIS servers, so that could stay on Orange indefinitely. Does the the web browsing work on your Rogers Bold with the ATT card, without having to reconfigure anything?
    01-14-09 09:31 AM
    have you looked into International Package from ATT? It may be more economical also.
    01-14-09 09:44 AM
    Actually, I see no reason why I'd need two BIS servers, so that could stay on Orange indefinitely. Does the the web browsing work on your Rogers Bold with the ATT card, without having to reconfigure anything?
    The BB browser did. However, I prefer using Opera, and it worked fine once I changed the APN to ATT's.
    01-14-09 09:57 AM
    That international package does look good, but I do want to use my London number when in the UK - and I'm on a 12 month contract anyway. They give Bolds for free on contract in the UK, so I had to take it.
    01-14-09 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD