Hi All,
    So I've been thinking about jumping to the Berry for a while now. Everyone I know pretty much has one back home in Canada.

Unfortunately, I'm not in Canada anymore. I'm in the middle east. Saudi Arabia. And really, I can't get any clear answers from the carriers here. So I'm hoping you guys could answer them.

Long Version: (short version bellow)
    First off. Over here, if you want to get the Berry. They urge you to buy the "server" so that you can sync all your emails together, and compress them. And what not. Now, from what I understand, this is for email purposes only. But I the phone carrier here says that it is required for all Berry use.

As it costs a lot of money, and I find it pointless for a 10 employee business. I don't want to get the Berry if it's required.

(short version)
    Here is the question at hand.

If I use a normal SIM card that allows me 3.5G internet access on my current Sony Ericsson phone. Will I have access to BBM, browser, pop3, and other internet apps on the Berry? Or do I need to have the "server" or something else?

I'd test this out. But no one I know has one over here.

Thank you.
    02-25-09 12:02 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

The service plan is called BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) in North America. It is the foundation of the data connection. Push email and Browser require it as does nearly all third party applications.

Lack of BIS support means you will have voice and SMS text, in addition to the PIM applications, but no data service.
    02-25-09 12:08 PM
    Yes u need BIS
    In a way, to get full functionality out of the bb, the bb has to be connected by BIS

Lastly, your 3.5G sim card on the SE phone will not give u BBM
    Depending on the model of your SE phone, u might be able to get a data plan and use the phone to check emails and surf
    But no push mail, no BBM
    Again, depending on the app and your SE phone, u might be able to put some apps on it if it is compatible

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 12:33 PM
    Damn. I was hoping it would work through normal 3G internet. Why did they restrict it so much? Wouldn't it have a bigger group to sell to if they made it open, and only had the exchange on BIS.

In any case, I guess I'm gonna have to go with an iPhone now. Damn my luck!
    02-25-09 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD