Iam a iphone user... Iam tired of iphone its just getting on my nerve iam looking to change to anither smart phone and BB is my next option. I have a few questions about the bb. I do mean the new BB with ATT BB Torch

1. BB server, what is it and what can i do with it.

2. Is it true that when i browse the web with the black berry that the data is encrypted in the USA?

3. When u browse the web on the BB, does it go through the BB server to go online?

4. Is it possible to tether the BB as a wifi hotspot ( new bb torch 9800) if so how and what app allows it

5. Do you have to (in iPhone terms) jailbreak or ( in android terms) root the phone to get certain apps on it.

6. Is the browser just like or better then the iPhone browser?

7. Do the BB have two cameras 1 in the front and back.

This is what to know before i buy the new BB 9800 with Att
    Last edited by TechnoNYC; 09-06-10 at 05:16 PM.
    09-06-10 05:12 PM
    1) The BB server is where all data is routed. Without it you would not have push
    email (sent to device without your intervention), IM apps including BlackBerry
    Messenger, use of App World, etc...
    2) Yes.
    3) Yes.
    4) Not to my knowledge (I could be wrong)
    5) No. The app is either for the device (and will work) or isn't (and won't)
    6) Not even close. The iPhone wins this one all day every day.
    7) No. Just the one in the back
    09-06-10 05:17 PM
    you can only use it as a wifi hotspot if you first tether (using a USB cable) to a Win 7 machine and then use Connectify (free) to make a hotspot via the win 7 machine. tetherberry is not free, but there is a trial period.
    09-06-10 05:21 PM
    Ok i dont understand. Iam asking is it possible to download a application on the bb to make it a wifi hotspot so i can connect to it and go online without wires.
    09-06-10 05:25 PM
    Ok i dont understand. Iam asking is it possible to download a application on the bb to make it a wifi hotspot so i can connect to it and go online without wires.
    I just outlined the ONLY way you can do it.
    09-06-10 10:34 PM
    1) The BB server is where all data is routed. Without it you would not have push
    email (sent to device without your intervention), IM apps including BlackBerry
    Messenger, use of App World, etc...
    2) Yes.
    3) Yes.
    4) Not to my knowledge (I could be wrong)
    5) No. The app is either for the device (and will work) or isn't (and won't)
    6) Not even close. The iPhone wins this one all day every day.
    7) No. Just the one in the back
    Are calls phone calls also routed through the blackberry server.

Meaninf that are blackberry phone calls encrypted.
    09-09-10 08:46 AM
    1. BB server, what is it and what can i do with it. If you are on a BIS account, the server is hosted by RIM. Pretty much, all your interaction with it is to set up e-mail accounts to go to your BlackBerry. Everything else is handled by the device itself.

2. Is it true that when i browse the web with the black berry that the data is encrypted in the USA?

I believe so, it would be their basic encryption.

3. When u browse the web on the BB, does it go through the BB server to go online?

If you are using your 3G data plan, it will go through the BIS server first, compressing the data before it is sent to your BlackBerry - makes for less data usage. I'm not sure if you are browsing over wifi, if it still goes through RIM's servers or directly to the browser.

4. Is it possible to tether the BB as a wifi hotspot ( new bb torch 9800) if so how and what app allows it.

Verizon is supposed to have this option (if not out already, it should be available soon). I'm not sure about other carriers.

5. Do you have to (in iPhone terms) jailbreak or ( in android terms) root the phone to get certain apps on it.

Nope. If the app is compatible with your device model/OS, you can install it. You can also install from App World, MobiHand, Handmark, the CrackBerry App Store, Google, and lots of other 3rd party sites. You aren't limited to one app source.

6. Is the browser just like or better then the iPhone browser?

The iPhone browser is going to be better. Although the Torch uses a webkit browser that should be on par with most of the features you would see on an iPhone.

7. Do the BB have two cameras 1 in the front and back.
    So far, all camera-toting BlackBerry devices have one camera on the back. They haven't released a front-facing camera on any device yet (although there were rumored photos out about 18 months ago for a front-facing model).

You have to remember that a BlackBerry is a communication device. It is made to communicate quickly (e-mail, SMS/MMS, phone calls, BBM, IMs). The main purpose is to quickly and efficiently do those types of interactions. It can do a lot more as well. Just as the iPhone's strength is games and media, the BlackBerry excels in its own areas. Sure, you can watch movies, listen to mp3s, play games, browse the web, use lots of applications, and so on - it's just that the BlackBerry priority is more towards communication.

Phone calls don't go through RIM's servers (unless you are on BES using MVS, then it goes through your company's server).
    09-09-10 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD