I am interested in getting a Blackberry in the future sometime (not in a hurry though). I live in Canada and will be for at least another 1.5 years and am on the Fido network (owned by Rogers) until Sep 2010. However after this period I am not sure where I will be most likely Europe or possibly I could still be in Canada and thus I do not want to get into a contract with Rogers (or any carrier) for 3 years because of the possibility of a move.

I believe my only option is to buy an unlocked phone as I have always done so in the past (never had a full on smartphone though). Any reason *not* to get an unlocked say Bold or the upcoming Onyx device after they are released? They are all quad band phones so should work just about everywhere and have 3G (does Bold's 3G band work in Europe for example?) and all have Wifi so that basically meets all my requirements. Price is not really a factor and I can find a bunch of mint Bolds on craiqslist locally for not too much more than the $300 Rogers 3yr price anyways. I am leaning towards waiting for the Onyx however since I find the Bold a little on the bulky side for my taste but I have used some of my friends ones and it's a terrific phone (except for the browser which I find only ok).

I'm mostly a normal consumer but I want a phone for longevity and good email would be a plus for sure. I've had my current phone for 5 years and thus I'm thinking a Blackberry with it's corporate use which I am sure I will increasingly be involved in is the best bet instead of say an Iphone or something else. I also really like the physical keyboard but I do love the Iphones web browser. Any potential suggestions? Any news on potential BB's that might be a good fit for me? The Onyx would be my pick right now but I just want to make sure I don't screw myself over if I get an unlocked phone and certain features don't work or aren't supported by my network.

Thanks!
    Last edited by sft; 06-30-09 at 11:30 AM.
    06-30-09 11:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD