View Poll Results: Witht he delay of BB10 phones, what will you be doing next year?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy a BB7 Phone

23 25.84%
  • Wait until the end of 2012/start of 2013 for BB10 Phone

45 50.56%
  • Switch to Android

8 8.99%
  • Switch to Windows 7

4 4.49%
  • Switch to iPhone

9 10.11%
    I'm really disappointed with the news that BB10 are delayed until late 2012 (which means what for the BB10 phones which were already scheduled for late 2012? 2013??). I'm sure I'm not the only one.

My upgrade is in June, and my choices are...

1) A 10 month old Bold that was outdated when it was released (and likely will still be overpriced)

2) Jumping to a state of the art, but touchscreen, Android

3) Waiting another 5 - 12 months for what might be a state of the art Bold - or might be another behind the times phone made by a dead/dying company.

I wonder how many others are int he same situation as me?

Right now the only things keeping me potentially with bberry are the lack of native e-mail on my Playbook and my preference for a keyboard - I don't think that will be enough come mid-2012.

I wonder what company the rumour mill will say is buying RIM tomorrow after it's stock collapses (more)?
    12-15-11 05:06 PM
    Probably upgrade to a 9930 in January 2012. If I like it I'll wait til the BB10 devices are out and upgrade to that.

Otherwise, back to Android! I'll find a thinner device this time.
    12-15-11 05:12 PM
    I just signed a contract with T-MO 3 months ago, so I have to wait until at least 2013 before I can upgrade...unless they have an early upgrade program that I don't know about.
    12-15-11 05:13 PM
    I'll keep buying other devices until I can buy a QNX BB and see if it is worth it. I hope it is amazing if it is going to take another 6+ months.
    Guatiao likes this.
    12-15-11 05:16 PM
    I am due for an Aug. replacement of a 9650. I have a PB so was hoping for a better phone, sooner. Bridge and 29.99 unlimited data plan are the only reasons I might wait it out.
    12-15-11 05:24 PM
    Anticipating the playbook upgrade and want RIM to focus on getting all those newly sold playbooks functioning at full hardware capacity.

Impress me with the playbook and I will buy a phone to match next Christmas. Until then I will spend my time buying cheap RIM stock and looking for the next innovative app from TAT or anyone else for that matter.

I'm not against the idea of buying a new BB7 phone. Maybe my Christmas bonus will be more than a subscription to "cheese of the month".

Give me Skype or the ability to talk with Skype on the native video chat.
    12-15-11 05:26 PM
    I am undecided at this point. I've already been eligible for an upgrade for 6 months and have not chosen a new device.

I used Nokia prior to BlackBerry, so I am curious to see what the new Nokia device running Windows Phone 7 are like. However, I cannot say for sure if I will get one, wait for BB10, or get something else altogether.
    12-15-11 05:33 PM
    If your upgrade is in June 2012, then I would wait for QNX based BB,

you'll be waiting 2-3 months I'm sure, IF we don't have a good leak by June then I'd say buy a second hand Android maybe a Samsung Galaxy 2? and hold your upgrade until September, since I bet there will some very nice Androids come next September
    12-15-11 05:33 PM
    If your upgrade is in June 2012, then I would wait for QNX based BB,

you'll be waiting 2-3 months I'm sure, IF we don't have a good leak by June then I'd say buy a second hand Android maybe a Samsung Galaxy 2? and hold your upgrade until September, since I bet there will some very nice Androids come next September
    See, I'm not just waiting for a QNX BB - I'm waiting for a QNX Bold. I don't want a touchscreen bb - I don't feel that touchscreen BB's are up to par. BB's are about the keyboard. If I'm buying touchscreen, I'm buying Android or Windows (especially if Windows 8 are around and are as interconnected to PC's as advertised).

If it was a 2 - 3 month wait for a QNX Bold, I'd do it (although I'm currently running a bold 9000, and it is getting OLD) but since it is already supposed to be the last of the QNX devices released 2013 seems more likely than 2012.
    12-15-11 05:40 PM
    See, I'm not just waiting for a QNX BB - I'm waiting for a QNX Bold. I don't want a touchscreen bb - I don't feel that touchscreen BB's are up to par. BB's are about the keyboard. If I'm buying touchscreen, I'm buying Android or Windows (especially if Windows 8 are around and are as interconnected to PC's as advertised).

If it was a 2 - 3 month wait for a QNX Bold, I'd do it (although I'm currently running a bold 9000, and it is getting OLD) but since it is already supposed to be the last of the QNX devices released 2013 seems more likely than 2012.

With delay in BB10 phones, I would expect a OS7 like Launch over 2-4 months we would see All touch, all touch slider, Traditional Bold form factor, Low end NON LTE GSM based curves
    12-15-11 06:12 PM
    Well my contracts up around the end of the year, so I'll be waiting anyways... Though that doesn't mean I'll get a new BB, but gives me time to see what happens.
    B.t.w. There's no option for my situation, so I'm not voting.
    12-15-11 06:15 PM
    i hope you are correct. All we have seen so far are the milan and london. if the launch is still 9 months away, i would hope they have more devices...especially a full qwerty phone like the bold.
    12-15-11 06:23 PM
    You did read why they were delayed right? They are waiting for the hardware. If you are launching a new platform and you can time it to the absolute latest and greatest hardware that is the absolute best thing to do. Then everything is absolute cutting edge. I would NOT release my ground breaking OS on year old hardware in this market...no sir.
    12-15-11 06:29 PM
    I am eligible for an upgrade in a month or two and was hoping the QNX phones would be ready soon, so I am really disappointed that RIM pushed things back.

I was hoping the QNX phone would be the holy grail - reliability and security of a BB, interface of the Palm WebOS, apps from android. However, with it being pushed back and RIM's track record lately, I wouldn't expect the phone to be usable for some time after the launch, so I am guessing it will be about a year. I need to get a new phone now, my 9550 Storm2 just isn't cutting it anymore.

I'm on VZW and my choices are:

1) 9850 Torch
    2) Windows Phone on the Trophy
    3) Wait for a Nokia or other second gen Win Phone
    4) Not thrilled with Android, so not going there
    5) iphone4S

Really not sure what to do...
    12-15-11 08:12 PM
    Well the fact that I got a new contract last March, i really don't have much of a choice but to wait. I say about a year from now I'll be ready to upgrade. Just in time. I'll make my comparison BB10, Android & WP7 then pick.

I rooting for you RIM!
    12-15-11 08:22 PM
    You did read why they were delayed right? They are waiting for the hardware. If you are launching a new platform and you can time it to the absolute latest and greatest hardware that is the absolute best thing to do. Then everything is absolute cutting edge. I would NOT release my ground breaking OS on year old hardware in this market...no sir.
    I don't buy the LTE chip delaying the launch. I think implementing qnx on the new handsets is more difficult than they thought and are using LTE as a scapegoat.
    12-15-11 08:49 PM
    I was hoping the QNX phone would be the holy grail - reliability and security of a BB, interface of the Palm WebOS, apps from android.
    I find that comment very interesting, and I actually just registered to be able to ask you about that. I'm an app developer. I work at a firm that designs and builds a lot of popular apps for various clients, and I've lurked around here and WP7 forums just to keep an eye out for potential opportunities in these two "ecosystems". Like most developers, everyone on our team pays their mortgage/rent from the Apple App Store. That's how we got to do what we love for a living 3 years ago. But then we also make a big investment in working on Android, learning all the tips and tricks of that platform because we see a long term market there.

For Blackberry and Windows Phone, in order to build the kind of apps we build, we would need to invest heavily in learning everything there is to know on that platform to build really remarkable, polished apps with the attention to detail that we like. We may add one of those two platforms to our capabilities in 2012 (but likely not both).

Anyway, with that introduction/perspective out of the way, it's very interesting to observe how many people on this forum (not just you) are looking forward to running Android apps on their BB10 or OS2 devices. To developers like us, we would say "ok, great, just run our Android apps then. That makes it easy for us." Is that good enough? Is that going to satisfy most BB users?

Our interest in developing OS7 apps of course died with the original BBX announcement. We wouldn't make an investment in an orphaned platform. But with BB10, if users are happy running Android apps (or Adobe Air apps), then is there any reason at all to even consider investing time and energy into making native BB10 apps?
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-15-11 at 09:07 PM.
    curvezzz and Guatiao like this.
    12-15-11 09:05 PM
    guess i didnt need to save one of my lines upgrades then huh?! :/ this sux 9810 w/o enough apps and lack of timely official att os updates :"(
    12-15-11 09:30 PM
    I didn't vote because my choice was not there. I'm long overdue for an upgrade. My only problem is that there is nothing I want to upgrade to.

I have a Bold 9650 and a Playbook. I was really feeling an itch to jump into a BB7 device and I could do so affordably. But then the strangest thing happened. Sprint rolled out 6.0.0.600 and then was followed, quite unexpecedly, by 6.0.0.716. I've removed unused apps and a couple of apps that I identified as hogging resources.

I took advantage of some of the outage freebies like Vlingo, and finally dove in to Blackberry Traffic and Blackberry Travel. I installed BBProtect and made sure to set the backups to run when I'd be asleep for a while (they do take a long time).

Point is that there are certainly faster phones on the market, but mine gets the job done. To me it is, and always has been, about satisfying requirements. I love having a keyboard, the tight integration and security around messaging, occasional web, news feeds, Twitter, BBM, music, and pictures - especially pictures. I find myself constantly taking and sending pictures because a picture is worth... well you get it.

My 9650 gets the job done. But more importantly, it has a really nice auto-focus camera that takes great snapshots, but also great close-ups. I like to take pictures of business cards and enter the info later (if the person can't send me a vCard. I'll actually use the business card pic as a profile pic to help remind me who it is. (I think it's a little sketchy to ask someone if I can take their picture to put it with their contact info.)

I'm not ready for a paradigm shift to Apple or Android. Because of the lack of auto-focus and horrible closeups on the 9930, I spent over a month trying to justify a keyboardless experience on a Torch 9850 - just for the camera!

I think that RIM made a HUGE mistake by compromising the quality on the camera on the 9900/9930s. It doesn't look like the Bellagio will have a CDMA variant. So I don't think I'll be switching. Just because I'm eligible for an upgrade doesn't mean that I have to buy a phone - especially if the one I'm using now does the job.

Today's earnings call was very interesting. The pressure is now on. Given that I'm satisfied with the performance (and especially the battery life) on my 9650, I have the luxury of sitting on the sidelines to observe. I really like my 9650/Playbook combo.

So, my vote is to stick with my status quo and wait for February. If 2.0 (BBX, BB10, whatever) comes out and rocks, then I'm up for the wait for the new phones. After all, I've made it 9 months waiting for 2.0 - I can make it another year with this phone. If not, then I take a closer look at the new Nokias. I love my BB devices. I just felt that today's call puts them right on the edge. It sounded like they mean well. It's just a matter of execution. February is huge for RIM. Since I'm content with my current hardware, I think it's worth it to see if they can hit this mark.

Not the short answer that the OP was probably looking for. Just my $2.00 worth (which will cover the salaries of Mike and Jim).
    00stryder likes this.
    12-15-11 11:09 PM
    Blackberry is non existant. The Blackberry name is connected to out dated emailing phones from the 90's. Basically the timeline doesn't matter since the average consumer isn't sitting at the edge of their deat waiting for a device from RIM. They will be either shocked and surprised at what RIM puts out or will consider the bb10 phones a cute attempt to catch up in time.

So for those of us hardcore fans its all about holding on to your bb7 device (withe the hopes what the bricking is over) and just wait it out because we can't make it come any faster.
    12-16-11 05:01 AM
    I already have an OS7 Blackberry, Bold 9900, and my contract runs out at the end of 2013, that's when I'll look at the BB10 devices. Until then this makes no difference to me.
    12-16-11 05:06 AM
    I already have an OS7 Blackberry, Bold 9900, and my contract runs out at the end of 2013, that's when I'll look at the BB10 devices. Until then this makes no difference to me.
    What he said....

I've got a 9810 which I just brought out again and put away the Atrix for a while. And I have my daily driver, my 9930. Second phone, replacement for my first nuked 9930. And knock on wood, is running flawlessly *at this time.*

When the new BB10 Qwerty phone comes out I'll buy one. Not full touchscreen, I will have bought another full screen Android by then. My point being, I've got my OS 7 devices and for as long as BB continues to make phones that I like and suit my needs, I will continue to buy them.
    12-16-11 05:40 AM
    I find that comment very interesting, and I actually just registered to be able to ask you about that. I'm an app developer. I work at a firm that designs and builds a lot of popular apps for various clients, and I've lurked around here and WP7 forums just to keep an eye out for potential opportunities in these two "ecosystems". Like most developers, everyone on our team pays their mortgage/rent from the Apple App Store. That's how we got to do what we love for a living 3 years ago. But then we also make a big investment in working on Android, learning all the tips and tricks of that platform because we see a long term market there.

For Blackberry and Windows Phone, in order to build the kind of apps we build, we would need to invest heavily in learning everything there is to know on that platform to build really remarkable, polished apps with the attention to detail that we like. We may add one of those two platforms to our capabilities in 2012 (but likely not both).

Anyway, with that introduction/perspective out of the way, it's very interesting to observe how many people on this forum (not just you) are looking forward to running Android apps on their BB10 or OS2 devices. To developers like us, we would say "ok, great, just run our Android apps then. That makes it easy for us." Is that good enough? Is that going to satisfy most BB users?

Our interest in developing OS7 apps of course died with the original BBX announcement. We wouldn't make an investment in an orphaned platform. But with BB10, if users are happy running Android apps (or Adobe Air apps), then is there any reason at all to even consider investing time and energy into making native BB10 apps?
    I would say go native. even as a bb7 user i have to respect your business stand point regarding developing for the current platfiorm seeing as it will soon be obsolete. As far as bb10 goes I don't think developing Android is the way to go because it may not be a long term plan for RIM. As a user I would wonder how dependable the player is compared to something native.
    12-16-11 05:53 AM
    Dude, there's millions of BBOS users out there, 75 millions to be exact, all willing to pay for apps (blackberry developers make the most money out of all platforms)

Frankly, you are trading the bird in your hand for the two birds in the bush.
    12-16-11 06:08 AM
    I just upgraded to a 9860 on ATT and am very happy with it coming from a Bold 9700. I don't miss the keys, but do appreciate the trackpad on this phone. I don't think I would like it as much if the track pad was missing. Didn't want an iphone. I already have an ipad and didn't want the "cloud" hanging over my head. I'm not an droid fan either.
    12-16-11 06:56 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD