It just came to me now and wondered why I never used it before- Reboot into Safe Mode

It's the only way to ensure no app is running in the background using up your expensive roaming data, just the core functions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-11 12:33 PM
    Just purchase a prepaid sim from a local carrier and you wont have to worry about roaming charges :P
    06-15-11 02:19 PM
    Just purchase a prepaid sim from a local carrier and you wont have to worry about roaming charges :P
    Can't, I need to answer my phone and I need my bbm. And what if you visit more then one countries

06-15-11 02:26 PM
    Can't, I need to answer my phone and I need my bbm. And what if you visit more then one countries

There are ways to handle the phone issue. Simply forward your cell number to a VOIP service that supports international call forwarding.

BBM is another issue of course. Without a BIS provisioned SIM in the phone, it won't work. A big advantage of iMessenger IMHO.
    06-15-11 03:46 PM
    There are ways to handle the phone issue. Simply forward your cell number to a VOIP service that supports international call forwarding.

BBM is another issue of course. Without a BIS provisioned SIM in the phone, it won't work. A big advantage of iMessenger IMHO.
    I really don't see getting a local sim as a solution, for a start it wouldn't be roaming anymore anyway.
    Getting a local sim shifts the responsibility of making the international calls and texts to the people at home, Voip can't be relied on as it doesn't work over 2G and it's not that great over 3G either, even on my home broadband it's not.

Ideally one should just carry its phone as it is and don't come back with huge bills.
    BB is the best for roaming but I always like to make it even more efficient

Most prepay sims require a top up to activate it, in UK �10 is the norm, �10 can go a long way when roaming without having to do that, especially in every country you visit.

06-15-11 04:16 PM
    I really don't see getting a local sim as a solution, for a start it wouldn't be roaming anymore anyway.
    Getting a local sim shifts the responsibility of making the international calls and texts to the people at home, Voip can't be relied on as it doesn't work over 2G and it's not that great over 3G either, even on my home broadband it's not.
    The call doesn't go over voip to your cell phone, it goes over the local cell network. I have vonage at home. What I do is foward my US cell number to my home vonage number which I then forward to my foreign cell number. The "people at home" call the same number they always have.

OTOH if I was going to Canada, I would just sign up for the Canadian calling plan and an international data plan.
    06-15-11 04:36 PM
    The call doesn't go over voip to your cell phone, it goes over the local cell network. I have vonage at home. What I do is foward my US cell number to my home vonage number which I then forward to my foreign cell number. The "people at home" call the same number they always have.

OTOH if I was going to Canada, I would just sign up for the Canadian calling plan and an international data plan.
    Nah, too much hastle and doesn't solve the text messages problem anyway.

06-15-11 05:56 PM
    Nah, too much hastle and doesn't solve the text messages problem anyway.

Don't see the hassle myself but its true, you can't receive text messages.
    06-15-11 09:10 PM
    Don't see the hassle myself but its true, you can't receive text messages.
    To point it out again, what you describe is not roaming, you become a local user. Some just want to stick their phone in the pocket, jump in a plane and when they get there they just want to take the phone out and use it as normal.

Traveling to one country and staying there for 2-3 weeks makes sense to do what you describe but that incurs its own cost, cost that could go towards your roaming costs.

I have a friend about to leave romania today, he'll be crossing Hungary, Austria, Germany, Belgium, France and finally UK in 2-3 days. In this cases you need to rely on your phone, you need it to work and you need it to as cost effective as possible.

By the way, what voip services are you using? Might come in handy. I use voip to make international calls, the app is called Vopium and it's quite cheap. But that's only to call out, not to receive.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 06-16-11 at 01:42 AM.
    06-16-11 01:38 AM
    Looks like I'll be roaming to Ireland tonight, better follow my own advice lol

06-16-11 08:12 AM
    By the way, what voip services are you using? Might come in handy. I use voip to make international calls, the app is called Vopium and it's quite cheap. But that's only to call out, not to receive.
    I use Vonage as a home phone replacement. It's no longer cheap unfortunately but I don't want to give up my 212 number. Also it has great voicemail and call management features (such as international call forwarding).
    06-16-11 07:45 PM
    Roaming right now and guess what I forgot to do lol

BlackBerry - Map Gen

06-17-11 12:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD