I downgraded to pre-paid and had a few Android phones that I hated and never worked right. So I went back to a Blackberry Bold 9930. The pageplus rep had said that it would be possible to access email over a wi-fi connection. However, I was not able to setup a new email account; the option was not there.

I had read in a few places that people had used LogicMail with a wifi connection and have been able to get email on PagePlus with their B.B. I have spent many hours trying to configure Gmail and Yahoo with POP settings and IMAP settings, but was not able to get any traffic in or out. Am I wasting my time trying to do something that is not possible?
    09-25-15 09:48 PM
    You didn't say whether or not you are using Logic Mail or trying to use the BlackBerry email app. You should be able to use Logic Mail both through your carrier and over WiFi.
    09-25-15 10:11 PM
    Hmmmm, I was not aware there was an email app. Yes that's right, I'm using LogicMail as an email client. There must be something simple I am overlooking. I can post the settings I am using, if the problem even lies there. Gmail is the easier one to configure supposedly, so I'll post that one.

Gmail- IMAP
    Incoming Server: imap.gmail.com
    Secure connection: SSL
    Port: 993
    Username: [email protected]
    Password: ************

Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
    Use secure connection: SSL
    Port: 465
    Authentication: Plain
    Username: [email protected]
    Connection method: wi-fi only
    use wi-fi if available

I cannot find any other settings that would be relevant. I can open a browser and open a web page.
    09-26-15 12:44 AM
    You Logic Mail settings look OK.
    Did you setup Gmail for IMAP from a web browser first as described below?

Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings

Sign in to Gmail.
    Click the gear in the top right .
    Select Settings.
    Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
    Select Enable IMAP.
    Click Save Changes.

Note: This setting is not available while using the basic HTML view of Gmail. To enable IMAP, use the standard view instead. Find out more about standard view and basic HTML view.
    Once you've enabled IMAP in your Gmail settings, you need to configure your client. Select a client below to see specific configuration instructions.

See: https://support.google.com/mail/trou...665018,1692012
    09-26-15 01:10 AM
    Start LogicMail, press the BlackBerry button, select "Configuration," scroll to the bottom and enable "Connection debugging." Then exit the app completely and restart it. You may then get dialogue boxes about certificate errors, and be able to accept the certificates. Gmail should work afterwards.

That being said, I found that LogicMail will not stay connected to gmail for long, which is apparently due to gmail's non-standard implementation of IMAP IDLE. The same is true of Outlook.com. LogicMail works fine with mail servers that implement IMAP IDLE properly.
    09-26-15 01:21 AM
    Thank you for the tips. I had already previously enabled IMAP in Gmail. Yahoo by default had POP enabled. Although I tried, I'm not sure that Yahoo supports IMAP function. I had already checked the "debugging" box and I was never prompted with security certificates or anything for that matter.

I don't know what else to try. Perhaps I need to download service books. This is very frustrating!
    09-26-15 04:23 AM
    I recall IMAP being an issue with Yahoo, but I just checked the account settings for Yahoo on my Q5 and I have the following:

Server Address:
    rim.imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Port 993, SSL

SMTP Server Address:
    rim.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Port 465, SSL
    09-26-15 09:50 AM
    Thank you for the tips. I had already previously enabled IMAP in Gmail. Yahoo by default had POP enabled. Although I tried, I'm not sure that Yahoo supports IMAP function. I had already checked the "debugging" box and I was never prompted with security certificates or anything for that matter.

I don't know what else to try. Perhaps I need to download service books. This is very frustrating!
    Well, this is what I did. I use outlook.com, and its IMAP server doesn't play nice with LogicMail either. So I use a workaround, but it's one that works well. It will only work in your case if the Yahoo SMTP server does work for you, and if you can set up email forwarding from Yahoo.

I have a web server with email. That email IMAP server is standards compliant and works nicely with LogicMail. So I forward my outlook.com email to that box, and use it as my imap server in LogicMail. I use my outlook.com smtp as the outgoing server.

So for you, if this will work with Yahoo, the setup is as follows:
    • Yahoo mail forwarded to Standards-Compliant Mailbox
    • LogicMail IMAP settings: the ones for the Standards-Compliant Mailbox
    • LogicMail SMTP settings: the ones for Yahoo.

I've been using this setup for years. No one ever knows that their emails were forwarded to my other box. My emails go out from the outlook.com smtp server using the outlook.com address, and thus replies to my emails always go to my outlook account, and from there are forwarded to my standards compliant box. It works perfectly, and by doing this, you can keep your existing address(es).

How would you find a standards-compliant mail server? You might already have one through your ISP. Alternatively, you could search online for some other standards-compliant email service that works well with LogicMail (which would be a trial and error process), and use it this way with Yahoo.

But of course, this will only work if the Yahoo smtp server already works with LogicMail, as outlook.com does.

The setup I've described above is the only way I was able to set up LogicMail to connect flawlessly and remain connected over long periods of time to provide on-demand email.
    09-27-15 01:07 PM
    This is quite an interesting way of doing it. However, I could not get yahoo to work with IMAP. As far a Gmail goes, there is a security setting that does not allow email clients access to email. Once I turned this security setting off, Logic Mail started downloading my Gmail email. After that I tried to log in again with yahoo and it worked.

The problem I have now however is that it does not filter the spam. Therefore, more than half my emails are for Viagr@ or invitations for wild sex and stuff like that. However, I'm happy to get it working. Maybe I could forward my Yahoo through Gmail??

BBJAM-215, do you have IMAP working with Yahoo?
    10-03-15 04:11 PM
    I figured I'd try one last time and started from scratch. I went through all the settings and yahoo now works flawlessly with Logic Mail in IMAP configuration. In this way my folders are intact and it filters spam. I really appreciate everyone's input that helped me get this to work.

Let me reiterate, Gmail requires you to manually allow access to email clients like Outlook or Logicmail. This is turned off by default.
    10-04-15 07:49 PM
    I figured I'd try one last time and started from scratch. I went through all the settings and yahoo now works flawlessly with Logic Mail in IMAP configuration. In this way my folders are intact and it filters spam. I really appreciate everyone's input that helped me get this to work.

Let me reiterate, Gmail requires you to manually allow access to email clients like Outlook or Logicmail. This is turned off by default.
    Yes, figured that one out a while ago. :-)

Those people I help with their computers are using Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail or Office Outlook...

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-05-15 01:46 AM