I just switched phones and have some data on my blackberry that i would like to email myself. but everytime i try to connect via wifi, it connects but then nothing works. how can i fix this?
    11-30-11 01:13 AM
    I just switched phones and have some data on my blackberry that i would like to email myself. but everytime i try to connect via wifi, it connects but then nothing works. how can i fix this?
    blackberry is data secured , meaning its not like other cell phone provides where they use the service providers towers like at&t cingular rogers , but they use the data towers supplied by research . so anything data going on their network INC email bbm , stays on their network , not on the service providers towers . so anything going , is pretty much encrypted
    11-30-11 01:21 AM
    Just connect to your computer and you blackberry will show as a(or two) drives

And no, you can't use a blackberry only on wifi, you need a bis data plan before you can use it.
    11-30-11 02:30 AM
    No using BB on WiFi. Its a no-no. Its al encrypted. Just access using DM.
    11-30-11 04:19 AM
    thats disappointing that it doesnt work but thanks for the help!
    11-30-11 10:43 AM
    blackberry is data secured , meaning its not like other cell phone provides where they use the service providers towers like at&t cingular rogers , but they use the data towers supplied by research . so anything data going on their network INC email bbm , stays on their network , not on the service providers towers . so anything going , is pretty much encrypted
    Not entirely correct. The data goes through carrier cell tower like any other device however it's routed from the towers to RIM's servers and you need a BIS or BES account to have access. So even on wifi, the data needs to be routed through BIS or BES to their servers.

So, without a plan, there is no way.
    howarmat likes this.
    11-30-11 11:49 AM
    you can use some features on a BB on wifi only. I would maybe try dropbox or other file sharing app to move the files
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-30-11 at 04:48 PM.
    11-30-11 11:58 AM
    you can use some feature on a BB on wifi only. I would maybe try dropbox or other file sharing app to move the files
    Should be totally possible. I used a Blackberry on WiFi only... internet, CrackBerry.com
    (of course!) and downloading themes, files, etc. I don't remember about email,
    but you should be able to log on to a mobile website and send your files.
    11-30-11 04:45 PM
    No data here. But the again, I don't use e-mail of any kind
    11-30-11 06:52 PM
    Yep, you can use data and email over wifi only. I have two bb's (8320 and 9700) that work good. Keep in mind that for email you will need a program such as "Funambol" or "Logic Mail" -both of which are free and work great. You will also need a different browzer such as "Opera mini" .Of course if you don't have service books installed then all bets are off.
    12-01-11 10:24 AM
    Verizon themselves have told me also that data would not be guaranteed to go through wifi, ie sending an email or bbm while talking on the phone while connected to wifi. I've tried it also a time or two myself and it wouldn't send out until after I got off of the phone. Bottom line, yes you will need a data plan in the first place in order to go through. Now as I've stated earlier, its a strong possibility that if you are on the phone and trying to reply to an email sometimes it may go through and sometimes it won't while connected to wifi.
    12-01-11 11:26 AM
    I just made the switch from iPhone 4 to a Bold 9900. I forgot about the BIS data plan so I have to go to Telus and get that added. Anyhow, this what I can do for the time being without the plan. While I am at home on wi-fi everything functions like it should (except emails), ie Facebook, browser, apps, and so forth. However, when I am at work, I can text and make phone calls only. Nothing else works without the BIS.
    12-01-11 12:29 PM
    What sucks, the fact that you have to pay to use the device? Are you serious? See link by kid who was pissed that new free Berryweather version has ads and he has to go back to older version as he cannot 'stand' to see an add, even on a free app. He's under 18, or so he says, with no credit card to buy the full application. Of course, you need a credit card to buy the BB, though I guess you could pay cash, and pay cash for the monthly fee, but that sounds like a load to me. I would just have to guess, cynical old me, that either his parents or a friend bought the unit and pay the monthly, but don't want to buy him the application.

thats disappointing that it doesnt work but thanks for the help!
    12-01-11 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD