Hello Guys,

I been wondering, all the technological advances made since the mobile phone were made from bag size, to brick size and to palm size and now its multimedia capable and so on....its all good for us users.

BB is a very niche market, RIM makes money selling units and services. I think the service part is a real money machine, because its a continued income.

First of, I am not an IT Geek, I am thinking on the business side of things.
    Now BB is more global than ever before and I think this is because mobile phone system has GPRS to assist BB in their data traffic. In other words RIM does not need to built their own expensive BTS infrastructure like cell phone carriers. If Wiki source is accurate, RIM was a two way pager back in 1999 and start being very capable system in 2002.

When BB was popular in US or which ever countries they were very popular back then, I guess it was too small a market for giants like Nokia to be interested. Afterall Nokia overtook Motorolla in like 10 years. On a global scale Motorolla the mobile phone grandfather lost the global market to Nokia and it was GSM that caused all this. I remember in late 80s, a brick size AMPS Motorolla cost US$10,000 in my country and the rich ones actually bought them, it was a welcome over the bag type size or the big ones that we put in a car. The term "Hand" phone was born then.

Is it possible that giants like Nokia will see the potential money that RIM is making and in the next few years will make service like BIS/BES or something similiar to that ?

Hardware wise, it won't take much difficulties for Nokia to make a unit to beat any BB, it all depends on a business scale, is the market big enough to justify the spending ? Money rules because the best brain will go to the highest bidder. Unless RIM boss/owner is the brain behind the hardware of BB, they can loose their best engineers in a heart beat.

Apple iphone entered the cell phone market because telecomunication is forever growing and growing and lots money to be made.

Wouldn't it be nice if Nokia enters push email market in such force that RIM will have a worthy competitor and we end users in the end will get better hardware, better service and cheaper too ?

Looking at Nokia smart phones in the market, they do not have problems to the extend like Storm or whatever 1st generation iphone had . Afterall it seems Nokia is more careful when they introduce new phones to market.

I have to admit that BB lovers are unique bunch of people who can tolerate lots of OS or hardware problems or even able to tolerate exchanging phones 2-3 times. This is an amazing feat for RIM to be able to have such loyal customer base. If Nokia has a model that developed so much headaches, customers will surely have less tolerance. So I guess the key is what BB is capable of doing based on its BIS/BES services and RIM servers infrastructure plus whatever goodies RIM has, that no other cell phone manufacturers can come close....yet.

I personally think that in the next 5 years, either Nokia buy over RIM or compete openly with RIM and it will surely be great for us end users, no more monopoly, no more having to pay for a stupid vibrate+ring which should be a standard feature.

What do you guys think, is this a possible scenario ?

Thanks & Regards,
    Last edited by Iya; 02-16-09 at 12:01 AM.
    02-15-09 11:33 PM
    Great Question and Awesome Points!
    02-15-09 11:52 PM
    I don't think so. Nokia is a powerhouse on the overall international cellular market; however they have yet to see and enjoy that same breach into success in the U.S. market.

RIM has an obvious size'able market with businesses (their employees/entities) and 'business-types'...where as Nokia's overall-share with business-end users is nominally limited to single or a few multiple users in a business.

All this; coupled with the fact that Nokia's Symbian-OS platform is extremely buggy and far from the capacity of delivering a potential knockout blow to scare competitors into being bought out....isn't going to happen.
    02-16-09 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD