Given all recent 'hoopla' with government agency spying, and a seemingly increased popular appreciation for data security, one has to wonder how a 'BES10 for home' product would fare. Obviously it would be targeted to the more advanced users (prosumers?), and it could be sold as a small standalone component or a downloadable package to run as a virtual server on a pre-existing home PC. It would be limited to only a few client devices in order to keep resource requirements low. Monetized either by an upfront purchase, or a 'cloud'-type subscription fee. I imagine the biggest component of it would be an automatically configured VPN, but since VPN server/server-software is widely available (even built in to Windows), it would have to offer some additional integrated features (device management, remote assistance, parental controls, direct messaging to/from a device, some sort of parent to child device broadcasting mode, geo-location, built-in personal 'cloud' storage, etc.)

I would be interested (although more for the management features than the NSA fears)... it would obviously have to be marketed and priced correctly,.. (*sigh*)

Thoughts? ?
    H_O_Boomaye, SubCamp and zyphen like this.
    09-27-13 02:15 PM
    If it would let me setup my private "appworld" where I could push converted apps my to family, saving them the hassle of sideloading, then I'm all for it.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 02:19 PM
    Great idea maybe Dell can team up with them. How did you get this idea.

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    09-27-13 02:20 PM
    This would be great for really small businesses. But I just don't see the interests in it for the average consumer that BlackBerry is trying to attract.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    09-27-13 02:21 PM
    Great idea maybe Dell can team up with them. How did you get this idea.

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    Well, you know,.. procrastination is a powerful thing (except for the task at hand)... lol

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 02:33 PM
    This would be great for really small businesses. But I just don't see the interests in it for the average consumer that BlackBerry is trying to attract.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    Yeah, like I said, it would be for more advanced consumers (i.e. The Family IT guy) and... of course, it would also work great as a SOHO solution.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 02:36 PM
    If you want to make money in the tech business ... scoop up a dog turd, put it inside some shiny white casing, put an Apple logo on the back. You will make millions.
    PFman likes this.
    09-27-13 02:43 PM
    Imagine the queue for an iturd... Love it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    09-27-13 02:46 PM
    If it would let me setup my private "appworld" where I could push converted apps my to family, saving them the hassle of sideloading, then I'm all for it.

Posted via CB10
    That would be a great, but unfortunately the work side does not allow android converted apps I've already tried.
    09-27-13 02:49 PM
    I think this is a great idea. You have no idea how many people have their own networks, and voip systems running in their homes- that they spend lots of money on. I think initially small businesses, and IT fanatics would be the ideal niche clients. They would also serve as a 'smart' & 'real world beta tester'. I think you are on to something with your idea. I'm not the brightest IT guy, but even just with some of the features you spoke of, it would be something I'd be interested in. However, I'm a single guy so I wouldn't benefit as much. But I can think of it as a benefit in this sense:

I am my parents only son. They are not very tech savvy at all. If over one BES server I can send push notifications, and enable things in their home for them also through this server- that would be great.

Pricing is key.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    09-27-13 02:59 PM
    I had the same idea back in April (and some others).

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=794697
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 09-27-13 at 05:25 PM.
    09-27-13 04:13 PM
    Not a bad idea, this could certainly interest a certain segment of the population with greater security needs than the average consumer.

Lilly's hand stitched Frankensteined Z10 powered by 10.2.0.1761
    09-27-13 04:38 PM
    Package it up in a shiny plastic box with some pretty LEDs on it (like Vonage adapters) and I am all in. I find that a lot of households are willing to add a purpose specific device to their existing networks over keeping a computer up and running all the time. That or a cloud subscription model would work great for me, although I would opt for the shiny box first!
    Last edited by zyphen; 09-27-13 at 09:00 PM.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    09-27-13 04:47 PM
    Yeah, I used to run a simple vpn through a PC and left it on the entire time. Finally gave in and bought an older (but capable) router ($50), flashed it with DD-WRT, and have been running that instead. Of course, it doesn't give me anything other than a VPN, but it allows access to LAN and for my dad in Brazil to bypass many US-only site restrictions.

I equipped my wife, sister and mom with Z10s, and (other than my wife's) would love to be able to remotely help them out with something other than just screen share. "Full feature" home routers go for $150-200, so I would be willing to spend a few hundred or so for those capabilities.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 08:29 PM