My son inherited my husbands BB (he has a new one through work) but we want to be sure he isn't surfing mature sites (he's a sneaky one). Is there any way to block certain web pages from the browser on his phone? The plan we have is an all inclusive thing. Alltel includes unlimited internet so I don't know of a way to just turn that off. It is nice that he can get his emails any time though. Please help a worried mom!!
    03-26-09 08:03 AM
    I don't believe there is anything you can do which a clever person couldn't undo other than physically taking the device away.

I'm not sure but perhaps this numbers among one of the reasons why folks seem to think Blackberries are not suitable for children and teenagers...?
    03-26-09 08:12 AM
    Honestly. If parental control is your concern, then a kid with a blackberry is like a kid having full access to the candy store. In my opinion, kids have no business using a blackberry.
    03-26-09 08:15 AM
    My son inherited my husbands BB (he has a new one through work) but we want to be sure he isn't surfing mature sites (he's a sneaky one). Is there any way to block certain web pages from the browser on his phone? The plan we have is an all inclusive thing. Alltel includes unlimited internet so I don't know of a way to just turn that off. It is nice that he can get his emails any time though. Please help a worried mom!!
    All the more reason why he shoudnt have a BB. Based on your post there seems to be little trust. I shouldn't make it sound like browsing sites he shouldn't be on is BB specific- he'd be able to do it with any phone that has a browser.

Also, there are a lot of things on YouTube he shouldn't see either. I think you as the parent needs to make the decision- do I trust my chid enough to allow him to have a BB? Your answer will help you decide what to do from there- especially if you're already feeling uncomfortable about it.

Post back and let us know what you do and Welcome to CrackBerry!!

03-26-09 08:23 AM
    welcome to crackberry!

i'm not sure if there are any parental blocks you can put on, if any though, that would probably go through your carrier (otherwise your son could just undo the changes if he tinkered around with the phone).

on one hand, not too many sites look too good on the blackberry browser unless there are mobile versions, so hey, maybe he'll stay away on his own but if trust is a big issue maybe he should just have a regular phone for now...

and definitely keep us posted on what you decide to do!
    03-26-09 09:18 AM
    I don't believe there is anything you can do which a clever person couldn't undo other than physically taking the device away.

I'm not sure but perhaps this numbers among one of the reasons why folks seem to think Blackberries are not suitable for children and teenagers...?
    EXACTLY!
    alleycat said exactly what I was thinking.
    03-26-09 09:32 AM
    EXACTLY!
    alleycat said exactly what I was thinking.
    Thanks. Sometimes I get lucky.
    03-26-09 09:36 AM
    Thanks. Sometimes I get lucky.
    haha I know the feeling! always good when someone agrees!
    03-26-09 09:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD