View Poll Results: Poll - Can RIM pull off an Apple-style comeback without someone like Steve Jobs?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Comebacks happen all the time!

44 75.86%
  • No way, only Jobs could pull off something like this.

14 24.14%
    I think it's a better representation of you at the moment.

But originally meant to convey rims ineptitude, and subsequent lack of understanding (of the mobile space) that ceded their position in the mobile market to apple and google.

Here are some of the gems.

Balsillie on the iPhone in February 2007: "It�s kind of one more entrant into an already very busy space with lots of choice for consumers ... But in terms of a sort of a sea-change for BlackBerry, I would think that�s overstating it."

Mike Lazaridis on the iPhone in November 2007: "Try typing a web key on a touchscreen on an Apple iPhone, that's a real challenge. You cannot see what you type"

In May 2008, Mike Lazaridis called QWERTY keyboards the most exciting trend in mobile

This gem comes from hedge fund manager Eric Jackson on Forbes. Good luck figuring out what Balsillie's talking about here:
    Yeah on the iPhone touch, I mean I don�t know, we do a lot of focused groups in what we do, there�s a lot of market research in what we do, we had a lot of market research from our customers in the markets on what the market expects from a solution. However, there has been some debate previous on graffiti and different touch and tactility things and [mechanical] vulnerability costs and battery kind of things and tactility things. I think the best thing will be that for these things to just get in to market and get going, and its just there�s just so many dimensions in our space happen sometimes people over define the category like its all about for so at last its all about the keyboard or its all about some input mechanism or its all about music play or something.

--there is more, it gets better (click the link bellow)

---or this one

The iPhone was great for BlackBerry! People came in looking for an iPhone and walked out with a BlackBerry

---unbelievable, lol.

Balsillie over promised, under delivered on the BlackBerry 6 platform when he said, "I'll think you'll just be amazed that how it's a quantum leap over anything that's out there."

---there's more, but it's quite embarrassing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rim-c...es-2011-9?op=1

You get the idea.
    Here have a:
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    11-04-12 01:50 AM
    Ewwwww. Another picture yay!!!

Me at the moment? Bringing up Basillie and Lazaridis quotes from 2007 and 2008. Good job bud. So how about 2009-2011 while RIM apparently had their head in the sand. You heard of QNX yet?? Did you check the link? Quite a few companies no? Only random 2007-2008 quotes matter? hmmmmmmmmm

What were all the other companies doing (I know, its only apple and the free-ware google that matter)? Are Basillie and Lazaridis in charge right now? Do you honestly feel smart and like a big man bringing them up?? Seriously? The conversations about them were over about a year ago. Should I start bringing up how Jobs got outsed as the CEO from Apple by the guy who previously worked at Pepsi. You got any more quotes from people who are no longer in charge since they are so relevant? Again, were you maybe asleep for 2009-2011, do those years not matter? Are you the type that has been bowled over into thinking innovation is over and they should just be happy with their current phone (iphone)?

I guess we know who to talk to if we want info on 2007and 2008 that every single person on this forum is completely aware of. Thanks man, and thanks for the cookie. No one has ever read those quotes before, thanks for the information, completely new hear definitely gives the whole picture as to how things are. You must have done some serious thinking and research.

Please, if you obviously believe in RIM's 'ineptitude' never buy or use another one of their products, they don't need the encouragement You seem so intelligent and have such foresight quoting things from 2007 and 2008 from people who are no longer in charge that you must no what we should all buy. I thank you in advance for such wisdom. So as to what you are hearing today what phone should I buy in 5 years? What should I look forward to? Maybe a 6th Row of apps!!!! I can only hope Or maybe the exact same product of a different size, i just cant wait!! Any more quotes from 2007 and 2008 from people who are no longer in charge??

But I think I may be done with you. The best thing about posters like you is I already know exactly what you think because you show me. You post these year old articles about quotes from 2007-2008. No real thought for yourself, just regurgitating stuff. Seen it before will see it again. You probably think RIM is dead based of the news you read, its okay. I've read all the articles so I know what you 'think', but too bad its not an active process. Can I have another cookie?

Poll - Can RIM pull off an Apple-style comeback without someone like Steve Jobs?-cookie-monster-eating-cookies.jpg
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-04-12 04:02 AM
    Or they could pull off a Gangnam Style comeback like Samsung!
    11-04-12 04:22 AM
    iRIM is on their way to 'coming-back', [b[although I don't see it as a comeback. I see it as RIM going through a well-managed transition [/b](I know, I know, management at RIM has been horrible, they should haven seen the market changing and ditched their cash-cow BBOS years ago and had BB10 magically appear, cause we all know every other company has done just that, and every other company has a future proof platform that isn't showing its age or stagnanting). .
    ROFL! I'm pretty used to the fanboy stuff here, but hats off to this one, it made me laugh out loud! :-)

The two most prominent people and CEO's canned, thousands laid-off, delays of many kinds, playbook released half-baked, serious consideration about dumping the entire system for Android, looking into licensing and partnerships (and undoubtedly takeovers/mergers)......all part of the planned, well-managed transition.....
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-04-12 04:37 AM
    ifan "No, there is only one steve jobs and no company can ever make a comeback without him". Paraphrase but I've read this many times.

Reality, companys make turn-arounds all the time and the longer times goes on, more will happen, likely bigger than apples. RIM has never been close to as 'dead' as Apple was but you sure would think it if you read the news, and a lot of people must because thats what pretty much everyone I talk to thinks. RIM is on their way to 'coming-back', although I don't see it as a comeback. I see it as RIM going through a well-managed transition (I know, I know, management at RIM has been horrible, they should haven seen the market changing and ditched their cash-cow BBOS years ago and had BB10 magically appear, cause we all know every other company has done just that, and every other company has a future proof platform that isn't showing its age or stagnanting).

As per my signature, its obvious I think RIM is the company to beat in the near future, and all the articles used to describe RIM can be rehashed and reguritated to describe the other companies much like they have been for RIM for the past ~2 yrs. Right now I can see RIM going into markets the competition has no chance at and I'm sure the competition wishes RIM would have just left the personal mobile consumer device market alone but with all devices converging it was inevitable, thats the only place to go.
    LOL, this is hall of fame material and needs to be quoted properly.

First sentence: makes fun of "ifans" for doing what fanboys do.

And a few sentences later: makes one of the craziest, most delusional fanboy statements I've ever seen on the Internet. This includes tech forums like this one, sports team forums, political forums you name it.

Not even the most partisan group of RIM supporters can swallow that statement. Suggest this to the RIM board of directors and you willl get laughed out of the room.

hurds, thank you for the great quote, this is one of the classics.
    richardat and mikeo007 like this.
    11-04-12 04:58 AM
    "No, there is only one steve jobs and no company can ever make a comeback without him". Paraphrase but I've read this many times.
    No, as crazy as it sounds, this is not what just apple fanboys are saying but the 'legitimate' US tech media who are advisors to the titans of Wall St who then make the determination that your company is now dead. Investors, tech enthusiasts and finally consumers stop buying your stuff and the cycle starts.

Now to be fair, did previous management say and do some boneheaded things? Sure, but so did Ford, Rockafeller, Buffet, Gates, Jobs and every other successful business person of our time; it's called being human. I have read all their bio's and the thing that sets these guys apart is that they never give up. Sure, Mike L.'s myopic attention to detail got him in trouble when he didn't recognize the iphone threat (he obviously did by the time they bought QNX, TAT and 10 other companies in about a year and a half!) but it also explains why they are still selling 10 million (year old) phones per quarter. How do you think HTC, LG or Samsung would do selling year old hardware while they poured all their resources into their next-gen platform?
    11-04-12 11:19 AM
    To reframe the original intent of this thread; How realistic is the tech media's claim that "RIM is screwed because they don't have a 'Steve Jobs' to save them". Are they over simplifying? To answer that question I think you have to examine the current talent at this company. As I said, I like what I have seen so far, and the original video I posted of Gary really filled in a crutial gap for me; inspirational and visionary senior leadership.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...CQah70#t=1329s
    Last edited by zaman59; 11-04-12 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Broken link
    11-04-12 11:38 AM
    Though he might not be exactually like SJ, THE has done a great job at being the CEO and setting the tone for RIM. He has been accountable for the actions of the company. He has squashed serious rumors of the company. He knows the value of his customers and fan base. I feel he has what it takes to turn rim around and make a huge comeback like apple all those years ago.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    11-04-12 12:02 PM
    Some guy doing Powerpoint karaoke - what are we suppose to take from that?
    11-04-12 12:04 PM
    I know this is off topic...I don't know about anyone else but that chocolate chip cookie looks amazing. It doesn't look like they could possibly jam anymore chocolate chips in that thing. It looks like it is baked to perfect color and crispy on the edges and gooey in the center. That is a perfect chocolate chip cookie.
    11-05-12 12:06 PM
    Could it happen... of course.

But the question is how? For Apple Steve Jobs made Apple computers cool and trendy and that helped boost the company a little. But the thing that really turn Apple around was becoming a content provider and releasing a device to access all of that content on. The iPod really had very little to do with desktop computers, but that is what saved Apple. The iPhone was really just a natural extension of the iPod, and the iPad is just an over-sized iPhone.

As far as I know, RIM is just releasing a new Phone that is running a new OS. Sure it has some cool new features - just not sure that those features by themselves is enough to get people to buy one, much less have crowds standing in line at ever store. RIM might be smart and holding a few ACES close to their vest, and once BB10 is release they might announce a new iTunes type store that provided customers with all the content they could want, and maybe they'll have made deals where all the big company's will have BB Apps ready for their customers (Direct TV, Xfinity, Banks, Stores...) - it could happen.
    11-05-12 12:51 PM
    Really disruptive products/technologies are not created by listening to your customers. It's done by creating something your customers don't even know they want yet. There's the old Henry Ford quote that goes something like, "If I had listened to my customers, I wouldn't be making cars, I would be making faster horse drawn carriages."
    But we would still have the automobile...Ford didn't invent/create it. He just invented a faster way to build them.
    My way OT post for the day.
    11-05-12 01:23 PM
    I don't know if it will be of Apple proportions, but I think RIM's next few years will astonish a lot of people.
    11-05-12 01:42 PM
    Like others have noted, Apple rose from the ashes to become ridiculously successful because they created an iPod market.

RIM isn't doing that; they're just releasing a new version of the same product they've always manufactured. It's kind of like if Apple had never released the iPod, and bet everything on the iMac and the iBook. Probably Apple would have stuck around even in that scenario (they do sell a decent number of computers, especially laptops), but the reason for Apple's insane success was Jobs' ability to create and then own new markets for Apple products.

RIM's situation is different. On one hand, they're not in a position as totally dire as Apple's was. On the other, the market RIM is trying desperately to keep a place in is insanely competitive in different ways than the PC industry in the late 90's was. In some ways, RIM is worse off than Apple was.
    11-05-12 10:33 PM
    RIM can pull of a great comeback. But they don't need a Steve Jobs, because they are not implementing a religion style of marketing, and therefore do no need a prophet-Jesus type of figure in order to sell their products.
    11-06-12 07:28 AM
    I don't think Steve Jobs could pull off an Apple-style comeback right now. I won't rule it out but what happened with Apple in the early 00's was a unique confluence of changing technology and vision.
    11-06-12 01:02 PM
    I think Apple had a great product (iPod) at the right time...which was non existent in this format. Which captured the imagination of the world and the rest is history. Unfortunately, at the moment, RIM does not have any such product to differentiate it from others..
    Last edited by berriac; 11-07-12 at 09:50 AM.
    11-07-12 12:38 AM
    well we all know germans are brilliant
    11-07-12 12:52 AM
    But we would still have the automobile...Ford didn't invent/create it. He just invented a faster way to build them.
    My way OT post for the day.
    Which is my point exactly. He went and did something different. I'm pretty sure if he had listened to his customers, the FoMoCo wouldn't exist, and the Ford Horse and Buggy Company would have gone the way of all the other horse and buggy companies.
    11-07-12 04:01 AM
44 12