this is my 1st post here so... hi everyone!!!

so here's my story..

my bf is moving to korea. he's currently using bold 9000 of which worked perfectly fine in bangkok and hk. now, i do understand many have posted on roaming with bb in korea but since my boyfriend will be there for at least 9 months, i was wondering if anyone knows how to get his bb to work there with a local number?

in most countries in the world, if i understand correctly, you just buy yourself a local sim and insert it into your phone. and that's pretty much it. it"ll work! however i heard it's different there in korea cuz their phones dont have sim card!!! but sometimes last year they launched one of the bb models, how did they get that to work? and how will my bf get his to work.

i dont want my bf to have to get an entirely new bb because his current one's still practically brand new. so pleaseee anyone... help me on this. thanks
    01-17-10 01:14 AM
    I don't know if all they use in Korea is CDMA. If that is the case then it will not work. However if they do use GSM - get the BB unlocked and put in a local sim.
    01-17-10 02:02 AM
    im assuming south korea???

you may need to research local korean providers more, but it looks like they do have GSM coverage but only on 2100 MHZ, which the Bold 9000 does have a band for. so yes, it will work. but i dont know if those providers listed offer BB internet services.

GSM Coverage Maps | Korea (South), Republic of
    01-17-10 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD