I dont care if its not free.

Saw this on my car forums, this is off of an Iphone. That is pretty slick if you ask me. Didn't know it could do that. I'm hoping there is a similar app for the BB, it would prove beneficial for me. Anyone know?

07-29-08 12:26 PM
    Last edited by boost3d23; 07-29-08 at 12:31 PM.
    07-29-08 12:26 PM
    There is currently no way for this to be implemented on a BlackBerry... considering the lone fact that some of the calculations / estimates are done using the accelerometer in the iPhone.

Also, I am not sure how accurate something like that would be. Seems like a neat concept, but certain things cannot be done on a Berry because the calculations would be limited to GPS data only...

The iPhone likely uses the accelerometer for a lot of those things!
    07-29-08 12:37 PM
    Yes it uses the accelerometer for all of that data basically. And from the link I read its pretty accurate. I was just hoping this was somehow possible for the BB.
    07-29-08 12:40 PM
    Interesting thought. What if there was a car wreck, and counsel could get their hands on accelerometer data from the crash? "Your honor, the evidence clearly shows that my client suffered grievous bodily injury from g-forces in excess of those experienced by fighter pilots in combat..." You get the idea...
    07-29-08 12:46 PM
    I was just hoping this was somehow possible for the BB.
    No accelerometer, not possible!

Interesting thought. What if there was a car wreck, and counsel could get their hands on accelerometer data from the crash? "Your honor, the evidence clearly shows that my client suffered grievous bodily injury from g-forces in excess of those experienced by fighter pilots in combat..." You get the idea...
    haha... Jeff, you would think of something like that! Not a bad idea for crash analysis, etc... *runs away to patent the idea before Jeff can*

I actually designed something like this in high school. It was a self contained unit about 4 x 2 inches... it used an accelerometer and could measure the "smoothness" of different cars riding on roads. It had an analog read-out on a dial and also a digital output so you could make a reading with a voltmeter... haha, o the days
    07-29-08 12:49 PM
    the only other thing i have seen a program like this is for a pioneer head unit with built in gps. It works very well, but obviously its expensive for the unit.
    07-29-08 12:50 PM
    The only way that would work would be to have a unit in the car that plugs into the BlackBerry with a usb. But the BlackBerry would be no more than a screen and data storage. There isn't any program that I know of that does this with a BlackBerry I think palm has something like that though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-08 12:52 PM
    No accelerometer, not possible!
    Acceleration is just the rate of change of velocity. If you were running a GPS program that output speed and time, then you could easily calculate the average acceleration between any two speeds... Not enough time resolution for crash analysis, but maybe doable on a blackberry just for grins.
    07-29-08 12:58 PM
    A program like that will just get you in an accident as you stare at it, or a ticket as you try to outperform your last reading.

If you have GPS, and TeleNav or Garmin, or whatever, you can get all the info you really need (which often is also available on your speedometer).
    07-29-08 01:39 PM
    That data is also all available on you can liine through the airbad controll module. Just tap into that and buy a can to usb dongle. Let me know how things work out for you.
    07-29-08 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";