i upgraded my contract yesterday, and the man said that if i use the internet services between now and my next top up daye (15th of every month) that it will cost me. after that it will be free as that is part of my ontract.
    so, when my internet service was set up, facebook, twitter and blackberry message was added to my menu automatically..

i went into manage connections and switched off my mobile network, but kept wifi connected as it is free..
    will using blackberry messenger on wifi count as using it through my mobile internet, even though its turned off?
    06-25-10 10:56 AM
    i upgraded my contract yesterday, and the man said that if i use the internet services between now and my next top up daye (15th of every month) that it will cost me. after that it will be free as that is part of my ontract.
    so, when my internet service was set up, facebook, twitter and blackberry message was added to my menu automatically..

i went into manage connections and switched off my mobile network, but kept wifi connected as it is free..
    will using blackberry messenger on wifi count as using it through my mobile internet, even though its turned off?
    Hello Rosie - welcome, from across the pond

If you can get it to work while on wifi you shouldn't be charged extra at all. I have heard horror stories of people trying to get BBM working on wifi. But, as long as your network is clicked to off, and you are solely using Wifi, you will be just fine.

Welcome to Blackberry!
    06-25-10 12:31 PM
    Orange should be able to offer you a temporary data package until your new contract starts - that's what they did for me, for free too! Otherwise, yes you can use WiFi, you won't be charged.
    06-26-10 10:06 AM
    I have just come upon this thread. I am also with Orange (contract phone) and have a BB curve 8520. When connecting to the internet via BB, I use wifi (my service provider) Nathan you mentioned about clicking the network off and just using the wifi.
    Does it make any difference, not turning the network off and still connecting wifi?
    Thanks
    06-27-10 02:19 PM
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think your mobile network has to be on because even when running WIFI your bb needs to connect to the Blackberry Internet Service to use BBM
    06-28-10 01:49 PM
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think your mobile network has to be on because even when running WIFI your bb needs to connect to the Blackberry Internet Service to use BBM

Last night I turned off my network and connected via wifi, the connection was fine, the only difference was no one was able to call me of course.
    06-28-10 04:02 PM
    Last night I turned off my network and connected via wifi, the connection was fine, the only difference was no one was able to call me of course.
    And you weren't able to use BBM or any other service that relied on BIS or BES.
    06-28-10 09:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD