Thanks everybody, hope I can get some input on this issue. I'm trying to help my computer unsavvy friend Chad fix his Blackberry Curve 8330 (Sprint). He evidently deleted EVERY app from his BB desktop (the left tabbed side has ONLY the app tab, which contains nothing within it) He is still recieving texts, but has no app with which to view them(the biggest crisis at hand here, no text ability). I tried "reformatting" his BB, but can't figure out just how to do it. I've updated his BB Desktop, tried finding a copy of the OS on Sprint's site, no luck there either. I've backed up his BB using the DM, he isn't even concerned about contacts, the messages in his inbox, I just need to make his Blackberry the way it was fresh out of the box. I'm semi technically savvy, have ZERO experience with Blackberries, so I just need someone who knows whats going on here to list what I need to do, and any hyperlinks for neccessary downloads would be MUCH appreciated.
    Thanks guys,
    Julian
    05-08-09 02:05 AM
    After further research, I think he "bricked" his BB. There is no menu, the menu key does nothing, can't even access settings... help, please!
    05-08-09 02:16 AM
    Blackberry Software Download for Sprint
    Before you reinstall the OS, I'd connect to dektop manager and just do a restore of the last backup.

Also, check to make sure he didn't just hide his icons on his BlackBerry. From the icon screen, hit the menu button and hide/unhide will be there.
    05-08-09 02:19 AM
    After further research, I think he "bricked" his BB. There is no menu, the menu key does nothing, can't even access settings... help, please!
    I saw this posted after I'd already posted. That link above is to BB software- you may want to bookmark it if your friend is in the habit of doing stuff like this!!!!

There is a BB 101 users guide here on the forums. Please check the newbie section and read before you start messing with the OS.

There's no such thing as a bricked berry! Good luck to you.
    05-08-09 02:21 AM
    I've been perusing his owners manual, I saw the "hide" function by hitting the menu button, but the when visible, they are literally just empty tabs. Per the manual, I can't even access any menu/settings of any kind. I've also been checking out the 101 section here. I can't even access the phonebook. Where would you suggest I go from here? About the only thing it does is dial out and recieve calls.
    05-08-09 02:25 AM
    Also, went to scope out the Sprint BB software link you posted but it says it's non-existant, I get this message: We're Sorry...

You've entered this page in error because you have the incorrect link.

Please make sure that you have the correct link to download BlackBerry software.

If you have any questions, please contact the webmaster.

I appreciate the help man!
    05-08-09 02:29 AM
    I've been perusing his owners manual, I saw the "hide" function by hitting the menu button, but the when visible, they are literally just empty tabs. Per the manual, I can't even access any menu/settings of any kind. I've also been checking out the 101 section here. I can't even access the phonebook. Where would you suggest I go from here? About the only thing it does is dial out and recieve calls.
    Connect the phone to a computer (Pc) and run Desktop Manager. Perform a restore of the last backup. If that doesn't work, you will have to reinstall the phones operating system (OS).
    05-08-09 02:29 AM
    The only backup I have is the one I created before I attempted to re-install the OS. He didn't even have DM until I loaded it in my troubleshooting attempts, LOL!
    05-08-09 02:38 AM
    I just need a step by step with hyperlinks on how to nuke this mother effer and re-install the OS! Thanks again for all your help. Also, any thoughts on how he managed to do this? Was it some sort of virus?
    05-08-09 02:39 AM
    The only backup I have is the one I created before I attempted to re-install the OS. He didn't even have DM until I loaded it in my troubleshooting attempts, LOL!
    Ok, then that backup isn't going to do you any good since it replicates the issues he has now.

Reinstall the OS. To do so, download from the link I provided. Run it on your computer. Once it's done, connect the BB to desktop manager and let it do it's thing.

Under NO circumstances are you to unplug the phone until DM lets you know that the operation is complete. Plan on at least an hour for this to be finished; not saying it will take an hour- it could be less.
    05-08-09 02:42 AM
    I just need a step by step with hyperlinks on how to nuke this mother effer and re-install the OS! Thanks again for all your help. Also, any thoughts on how he managed to do this? Was it some sort of virus?
    Umm... you don't have to nuke anything and BB don't get viruses.
    05-08-09 02:42 AM
    Umm... you don't have to nuke anything and BB don't get viruses.
    Actually, under the circumstances, I think doing a wipe with JL Commander would be better before installing the OS:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/
    05-08-09 02:45 AM
    Actually, under the circumstances, I think doing a wipe with JL Commander would be better before installing the OS:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/
    Wiping is a personal choice. I've never found any reason to do so; some people feel they absolutely have to do it first.
    05-08-09 02:46 AM
    I still can't get the above hyperlink to work, I get the same error message
    05-08-09 02:48 AM
    05-08-09 02:50 AM
    Xliderider, thanks man, that link went through, chose the appropriate phone and now the download is in process. Any tips on where to go from here? Don't mean to sound ********, LOL. I'm a Marine, not an IT pro, i'm just learning as I go here! Also, thanks for your input ScandaLex, very helpful.
    05-08-09 02:55 AM
    You can follow the directions in the upgrade/downgrade link in my signature below. Use the applicable steps in the Advanced directions. Don't worry about memory optimization, and you can try doing it without wiping with JL Commander. You also don't have to worry about deleting the vendor.xml file.
    05-08-09 02:58 AM
    Xliderider, thanks man, that link went through, chose the appropriate phone and now the download is in process. Any tips on where to go from here? Don't mean to sound ********, LOL. I'm a Marine, not an IT pro, i'm just learning as I go here! Also, thanks for your input ScandaLex, very helpful.
    You're welcome.
    05-08-09 02:59 AM
    Forgive my ignorance, so i've downloaded the new OS from Sprint, loaded DM, read the steps, but i'm still confused as to how to make it load the new OS into the phone, any thoughts guys?
    05-08-09 03:12 AM
    Plug phone back into PC and let drivers install.
    Launch DM and proceed with update of OS.
    Make sure you pick Backup Data and Apps (including Messages) during the backup!!!

Ive got DM running, how do I proceed with the installation of the new OS?
    05-08-09 03:15 AM
    Easiest way is:

Close Desktop Manager, go to C:/Programs/Common Files/Research in Motion/Apploader on your PC.

Double click on loader(.exe) file to launch the Application Loader.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 03:16 AM
    By the way. After you downloaded the OS, did you double click the icon to install the OS to your PC?

05-08-09 03:19 AM
    When the OS is loading, do not unplug your BB for any reason even if it looks like it's stuck or frozen, until you get a message that the operation is complete, or you get an error message.

05-08-09 03:27 AM
    Im running Vista, if that matters at all. I went to C:, found program files, found "research in motion", had two folders labeled "Blackberry" and "Blackberry Media Sync". Searched both, found no Apploader folder containing a loader.exe file. And for the second question, yes, after the download was complete, I installed it to the PC.
    05-08-09 03:29 AM
    Did you install Desktop Manager? If you did what version?

05-08-09 03:31 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD