I tried all three options. It never asked for a password. As a final check, I removed the card from the bb and put it in my laptop. I can view everything. So...clearly I don't understand the encryption option. More research is required.
    Tried the use device password option and it works for me when accessing the card from my blackberry using the computer. Unfortunately I can't find my mini sd card to normal sd card converter, so I can't test how it works outside of the berry. However, I did read up on it in the manual and it should still work.

Here is the link to the manual section on media card encryption:
    About media card encryption
    06-08-08 03:42 PM
    Tried the use device password option and it works for me when accessing the card from my blackberry using the computer. Unfortunately I can't find my mini sd card to normal sd card converter, so I can't test how it works outside of the berry. However, I did read up on it in the manual and it should still work.

Here is the link to the manual section on media card encryption:
    I just did Jeff's instructions, took the card out and put it in a card reader.
    It, the sd card sets up as a removable drive and is totally accessible.
    06-08-08 04:01 PM
    Interesting. You have a different device. My 8830 documentation has the following: (I added emphasis)
    Media file management
    About transferring media files
    If you turn on media card encryption and you transfer files to your media card using mass storage mode or Bluetooth technology, your
    device does not encrypt the transferred files. If you transfer encrypted files from your media card using mass storage mode or Bluetooth
    technology, you cannot decrypt the files on your computer or on a Bluetooth enabled device.
    and
    Media card encryption is designed to protect the data that you store on the media card that is inserted in your BlackBerry� device. You
    can encrypt the files on your media card using a media card encryption key, your device password, or both.
    You can set media card encryption to include or exclude media files.
    Encrypt the files on a media card
    To encrypt files on the media card that is inserted in your BlackBerry� device using your device password, verify that you have set a device
    password.
    1. In the device options, click Media Card.
    2. Perform one of the following actions:
    � To encrypt files using an encryption key that your device generates for your media card, set the Encryption Mode field to
    Device.
    � To encrypt files using your device password, set the Encryption Mode field to Security Password.
    � To encrypt files using a media card encryption key and your device password, set the Encryption Mode field to Security
    Password & Device.
    3. To encrypt media files on your media card, set the Encrypt Media Files field to Yes.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Click Save.
    To turn off media card encryption, set the Encryption Mode field to None.

I have a device password. I set Encryption Mode to Security Password. I set encrypt Media Files to Yes. I pressed the Menu key and Saved.

I exit options, go to media card, and I can open my pictures with no password needed. Of course, the device is unlocked, so maybe that's it. I'll try your USB method and post again, to keep it from being so long.
    06-08-08 04:02 PM
    I exit options, go to media card, and I can open my pictures with no password needed. Of course, the device is unlocked, so maybe that's it. I'll try your USB method and post again, to keep it from being so long.
    Hrm, my device was unlocked but still asked for the password when I enabled mass media storage. It asked for the password on the BB, not on the computer.
    06-08-08 04:13 PM
    I see amazinglygraceless gets the same result I do. I just repeated the steps shown in the documentation, took the media card out of the bb, put it in my laptop, can see everything. No password needed. Put it back in my bb, connected to the laptop in mass storage mode, entered the password to enable mass storage mode, and can see everything.

It simply doesn't work the way the documentation says it should...which means I'm still missing something...just not sure what. I don't have a Key Store password enabled. I could create one of those. I can't turn off my device password, it's set by IT policy. I suppose it's possible that an IT policy could also disable the ability to password protect Media Cards. My employer provided the blackberry (I bought the media card) and has the legal right to everything on it.

More thoughts?
    06-08-08 04:17 PM
    Hrm, my device was unlocked but still asked for the password when I enabled mass media storage. It asked for the password on the BB, not on the computer.
    Mine does that. That's normal. But it doesn't protect your card outside the device. Going to try the encryption key method.
    06-08-08 04:27 PM
    After reading this I am enabling my password. I had it enabled, then stopped using it, but you can never be too sure of what may happen at a moment's notice. So thank you for posting your story.
    06-08-08 04:28 PM
    I got it to work.

It only encrypts new files... not your older ones. So you can still view files previous to encryption, but the new ones have an added extension .rem and they can't be opened on the computer.

I did this with the Password and Device setting... someone might want to try it with just the password setting. I doubt it will let you open it on the computer with just the password setting, as there isn't any native software on windows to allow for that (I believe)... so it isn't accessible unless the card is being read by the blackberry.
    06-08-08 04:36 PM
    Jeff, I have a feeling it's an IT policy thing.

Actually though this is a great topic for more research because when I encrypted my media card it turned into a real hassle. This is because everytime I plugged into the USB I had to enter the password on the device. I'm betting though there is a better way than whatever I did to get that result. I then turned of PWs, and it still required I enter one for the media card. Luckily, I managed to finally get it unencrypted (don't ask me how, I don't remember) =)
    06-08-08 04:42 PM
    Okay,

Did one last in and out... on the 8330 even if you have the encryption turned on, if you transfer files from the computer to your media card using mass media storage mode they will not be encrypted. So it is only new files from your blackberry. Which sounds the same as what Jeff's manual said for his.
    06-08-08 04:43 PM
    Jeff, I have a feeling it's an IT policy thing.

Actually though this is a great topic for more research because when I encrypted my media card it turned into a real hassle. This is because everytime I plugged into the USB I had to enter the password on the device. I'm betting though there is a better way than whatever I did to get that result. I then turned of PWs, and it still required I enter one for the media card. Luckily, I managed to finally get it unencrypted (don't ask me how, I don't remember) =)
    The easiest way to unencrypt would be to copy your files off the media card, using mass media storage mode... then copy them back onto the blackberry. Of course, you would want to turn off encryption to prevent any new files the blackberry writes from being encrypted.

But again, if you copy from your computer onto your blackberry, even with encryption on, the files will not be encrypted.
    06-08-08 04:45 PM
    I set Media Card encryption to Device, which supposedly creates an encryption key that only allows you to read the card on the device in which it was encrypted. I used Mass Storage Mode to move a key jpg to the media card. I disconnected the bb, powered it down, removed the Media Card, put it in the SD adapter, inserted it in my laptop, opened the card, and could see the new picture. No encryption. So maybe it is an IT policy issue. I'm going to take a break. Maybe some fresh air will give a fresh insight!
    06-08-08 04:57 PM
    I set Media Card encryption to Device, which supposedly creates an encryption key that only allows you to read the card on the device in which it was encrypted. I used Mass Storage Mode to move a key jpg to the media card. I disconnected the bb, powered it down, removed the Media Card, put it in the SD adapter, inserted it in my laptop, opened the card, and could see the new picture. No encryption. So maybe it is an IT policy issue. I'm going to take a break. Maybe some fresh air will give a fresh insight!
    As I stated previous... the only items that get encrypted are ones that are created by the blackberry. So if you take a picture with your blackberry that file will be encrypted.

The manual is kind of deceiving the way it describes the feature.

The card is still readable by the computer, the files on it that are created by the blackberry, however, are unreadable.
    06-08-08 04:59 PM
    Yes, I see that now. Of course, the 8830 has no camera, so the only way pix can get on the card is by copying them from the computer! Ditto for performance evaluation word docs and salary spreadsheets. The only way to get them on the card is by copying them, so they have no protection. Oh well, at least we know.
    06-08-08 05:07 PM
    Yes, I see that now. Of course, the 8830 has no camera, so the only way pix can get on the card is by copying them from the computer! Ditto for performance evaluation word docs and salary spreadsheets. The only way to get them on the card is by copying them, so they have no protection. Oh well, at least we know.
    Ah... well I guess if you really wanted to test it you could a media file to your BB and store it on the card... it should encrypt it then.
    06-08-08 05:11 PM
    Ah... well I guess if you really wanted to test it you could a media file to your BB and store it on the card... it should encrypt it then.
    I'm not sure how I can get a media file to the card without using the computer. I can't take a picture. I have no desire to pay for a picture or video or music or ringtone.

The only reason I'd want to encrypt my card anyway would be if I stored sensitive docs or spreadsheets or presentations on it. The only way to get those on the card at the moment is via mass storage mode, or maybe bluetooth. Files transferred by Mass Storage can't be encrypted, so I really can't test it, nor use it even if it worked. When Docs-to-Go comes, it be a much bigger issue. Then people will start putting business information on their Media Cards, and expecting it to be secure. Maybe 4.5 will change the encryption process as well to accomodate Mass Storage mode. I hope so.
    06-08-08 07:38 PM
    CrackdBanker,
    You are right about the .rem extension on the newly encrypted files. I tried renaming all my previous saved files on my bb and they all have the .rem extension now. Might I add I have a 8330 with no IT policy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-08 02:43 AM
    Thanks everyone for the help. This is by far the most helpful forums I've ever joined.

Just to keep everyone updated, I received my replacement phone from Asurion (T-Mobile's insurance co.) on Tuesday and noticed it was a refurbished Curve. If I didn't inspect the phone as close as I did when I first opened it, I could've been fooled that the phone was brand new. Don't get me wrong though, the phone is in excellent condition...except for very light nicks on the end call button, and some sharp gouges on the foam/rubber piece that you see after removing the battery cover.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the package was that it was boxed in an Asurion box...not the T-Mobile/blackberry box I was expecting when I bought the phone brand new. In addition, I noticed that it also came with headphones, a holster, and replacement battery of which ALL were brand new but were a knock-off brand...not OEM Blackberry. The battery was what bothered me the most...it looked like cheap quality and was made in China.

So I called Asurion back to complain and easy enough, they sent me a brand new Curve and a shipping label (to return the refurbished phone) in two days. I recieved it on Thursday. The package was exactly what I was expecting at first. It came in a sealed T-Mobile box, with everything brand new, just as if I bought a brand new Curve.

Now I'm in the process of getting all my contacts back. A T-Mobile rep told me that the contacts on my first simcard should be stored on T-Mobile's website. I just have to retrieve it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have done this in the past?
    06-15-08 11:44 PM
    Crackdbanker and JeffH,

You guys should create one or two How-To threads on what y'all have been discussing. I think it'd be extremely helpful for newbies like myself. One thread for the importance of locking or enabling security on your BB, and another for encrypting the microSD cards.

Thanks again.
    06-15-08 11:46 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD