Hello All - I'm a CrackBerry rookie, but have been using a BlackBerry for several years. Brevity is a good thing, so here's the issue:

I'm on a BlackBerry 8700C (AT&T service). As of a few days ago, the network arrows (both incoming and outgoing) are lighting up every 1 to 2 seconds - contantly - 24x7. I have a Seidio jumbo battery in there which has previously lasted as long as a week without recharging. With this new network activity and the same extended battery, I'm going about 6 hours from full charge to fully drained.

There's no action being taken - no e-mail coming in, I'm not using an internet browser, not making phone calls, etc. With the 8700C doing nothing, the constant network chatter is still going strong. All options on the BB are still funtioning, it's just killing my battery with the network chatter during idle times.

I have already tried the power off option on the main screen and the power cycle gig via leaving the battery out for 5 minutes - neither have resolved the constant network interaction issue. I thought it may be an issue with my local cell tower, but AT&T said there were no issues.

Has anyone else seen a similar issue and, if so, is there a solution available?
    07-20-07 07:27 AM
    Mine did that when the battery was fazing out. It use to last 3 days or so and then started blinking the arrows 1 day and the battery wouldn't last more than half a day. I replaced the battery with one from another device and it was back to normal. It doesn't make any sense, the battery having anything to do with network activity but it worked.
    07-20-07 07:48 AM
    That happened to a colleague of mine as well Saukrateaz and I just told him what you did which he is going to try today. Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.
    07-20-07 08:40 AM
    Mine did that when the battery was fazing out. It use to last 3 days or so and then started blinking the arrows 1 day and the battery wouldn't last more than half a day. I replaced the battery with one from another device and it was back to normal. It doesn't make any sense, the battery having anything to do with network activity but it worked.
    I just put the original BB battery back into my 8700C and I'm still having the same issue - non-stop network sends/receives. Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't look like this did the trick. Hopefully there will be some other suggestions I can try.
    07-20-07 09:00 AM
    hmmm, let us know if you come up with anything. I am curious now. You could try and turn wireless sync off on your calendar and your email and see if that helps. Then turn it back on.
    07-20-07 09:06 AM
    Have you tried sending your service books?

I really have no idea if that will help, but you never know...
    07-23-07 12:41 AM
    Looks like moving to a different part of town resolved the issue. I can only speculate that there was an issue communicating between my BB and the nearest cell tower. I haven't seen the non-stop network communication on my BB since I drove to a different part of town. If there are others that experience a similar issue, I would first try the soft/hard reboots and, if that doesn't work, try driving to a different part of town.
    07-23-07 12:52 PM
    tell at&t to fix their s**tty towers LOL!
    07-23-07 03:50 PM
    I am experiencing a similar problem. I have an 8320 and I find that when both the wifi and GSM network are connected, the problem occurs.

However, when I turn the mobile network off, the problem ceases.

For me, it looks like it is trouble with the wifi network.

I am not sure how to resolve this, any suggestions? It may be that the phone struggles to maintain a connection with my wireless?
    04-18-08 04:07 AM
    However, when I turn the mobile network off, the problem ceases.

For me, it looks like it is trouble with the wifi network.

I suspect the problem is low signal levels with the GSM carrier.

It is normal for a phone to register and maintain a heart beat, that is how the cellular network works.

If the signal strength drops below a minimum level, your device doubles the power output in an effort to stay in communications. It has to put out a strong enough signal for the network to receive.

Wifi, on the other hand, is nearly passive, there is no regular heart beat being exchanged.

My Wifi only connection will typically last 3 days on a charge.
    04-18-08 09:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD