Okay, I located my downloaded files.....I had to open the "All Files" in the BB Folder. Then I chose one, and this message came up..."No additional applications for your device were found." So I couldn't 'do' anything with them. I found that message strange since the Bible download was made for the BB Curve and that's the one I chose.
    08-06-08 08:45 PM
    1) When you uninstall DM and reinstall, you should not lose the installed OSes on your PC. Check in add / remove programs and see if they are still present on your PC. If they are not, you simply have to reinstall it to your PC, but you will not have to reload it onto your Berry!

2) A directory is the same thing as a "Folder"... sorry for any confusion.

Meaning, you can download the application and unzip it to any folder... then you can open DM and AppLoader and load the .alx file from the folder you saved it in...

3) Do you know where your PC browser saves files??
    08-06-08 08:46 PM
    We need to take this a step at a time and slow down a bit...

Step by step (which I think I stated before) but with a little more clarity...

1) What type of file is being downloaded from your browser onto your PC? What files are present when you unzip them??

2) What version of DesktopManager are you using? Did you uninstall and then download and install the DM 4.5 I pointed you to?

3) What is this "BB Folder"????

Please take the time to read through my instructions and questions and attempt to trouble shoot...

When you post back, please let us know what application you are using, etc... and be clear in your description so we can provide you with the best help we possibly can!
    08-06-08 08:49 PM
    I'll try to be "clear" but would appreciate the same. How am I to unzip anything? Like I said already, there are NO options for doing anything. The files just sit there and then they all disappear and like I already said, a box comes up telling me that, "No additional applications for your device were found." There is no way for me to view the file extensions or even try to find a way to unzip them when they disappear automatically within about 4 seconds after I choose "All Files". It just takes them away from my sight. When I say "disappear", I mean they are no longer visible to me. I can't view the extensions or try to unzip them. They're gone.

I'm "using" DM 4.5.0, if it can be called that. It's of little use to me right now. Again, I can't know the file type if I can't see the extention. I can't unzip anything. I can't get to step 4 until I get to step 1, then 2, then 3.

Forgive me, but I can't believe BB couldn't make this easier. I see others who can't download or install either. I think it's a lot more confusing than it should have to be. So far, all DM's done for me is totally mess up all my data in my email address book.
    08-06-08 09:05 PM
    bmcclure93,

I want to answer your first post here. You said:

1) You cannot load OTA downloads with Desktop Manager

2) What kind of files are you attempting to browse for with AppLoader?? They should be .alx files

3) What version of DM are you using?

As for the first comment, I never said I used DM for an OTA download. I said I did OTA downloads, so I couldn't have used the DM to do so.

I can't see the files so I can't know if they're .alx files.

I'm using DM 4.5.0
    08-06-08 09:12 PM
    I'll try to be "clear" but would appreciate the same. How am I to unzip anything? Like I said already, there are NO options for doing anything. The files just sit there and then they all disappear and like I already said, a box comes up telling me that, "No additional applications for your device were found." There is no way for me to view the file extensions or even try to find a way to unzip them when they disappear automatically within about 4 seconds after I choose "All Files". It just takes them away from my sight. When I say "disappear", I mean they are no longer visible to me. I can't view the extensions or try to unzip them. They're gone.

I'm "using" DM 4.5.0, if it can be called that. It's of little use to me right now. Again, I can't know the file type if I can't see the extention. I can't unzip anything. I can't get to step 4 until I get to step 1, then 2, then 3.

Forgive me, but I can't believe BB couldn't make this easier. I see others who can't download or install either. I think it's a lot more confusing than it should have to be. So far, all DM's done for me is totally mess up all my data in my email address book.
    wow... sorry I am not being clear enough for you! If you have not noticed, I am attempting to help you with something... and I have been perfectly clear!! Did you notice I posted a few threads numbering everything out for you to make it easier??

I would like some appreciation, because I do not see the purpose of helping someone if they take it for granted. That being said... check through my previous posts. I cannot teach you how to use a computer, although I can try. Some of these things should be common computer knowledge and you might want to reconsider doing things like this on your BlackBerry if you cannot understand the process of unzipping a .zip file or saving a file to a directory on your PC.

DesktopManager works like it should, if you understand the process... and it is not extremely hard to follow. You are passing up basic PC functions.

1) You navigate to the folder you saved the application to from your Browser. (this will be on your PC somewhere... so you do not use DM!!)

2) You unzip the file... since it should be zipped. Check if it is a .zip file... (make your folders show everything in "detailed view"... which you can do on XP or Vista)

3) You can either unzip with WinZip... or right click on the file to "extract"

4) Once that is done... you can navigate and find the contents of the extracted folder from DesktopManager... and this will allow you to select the app (which is a .alx file)

*And you may wanna consider looking through the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Slides in my signature... they walk through a number of common BlackBerry procedures that beginners do not understand how to do!*
    08-06-08 09:12 PM
    What is "BB Folder"? I answered that before. The last time I posted this topic, someone advised me to create a desktop folder so I could put all downloads in it and KNOW where they are. That's the "BB Downloads" folder I myself created. That's where all my downloaded files are.
    08-06-08 09:15 PM
    What is "BB Folder"? I answered that before. The last time I posted this topic, someone advised me to create a desktop folder so I could put all downloads in it and KNOW where they are. That's the "BB Downloads" folder I myself created. That's where all my downloaded files are.
    Okay. So you open that folder from within Windows Explorer, not from DesktopManager!

The folder should contain all of your files that you have downloaded. You find the application you downloaded and see if it is a .zip file or whatever it is. (you may wanna change the default view for that folder to "Details" view so it will show the extension next to it and show all files in a list view)...

You can also right click on the file and go to properties... then follow my instructions of unzipping the file... then using DM... etc etc etc
    08-06-08 09:18 PM
    Okay, I'll try to find the files again from the desktop. If I can do that, at least they don't disappear. I'll look at the extensions. Then I'll try to figure out how to unzip. There used to be a box that automatically came up and asked, "Do you want to unzip this file". That must have been too easy.
    08-06-08 09:24 PM
    Okay, I'll try to find the files again from the desktop. If I can do that, at least they don't disappear. I'll look at the extensions. Then I'll try to figure out how to unzip. There used to be a box that automatically came up and asked, "Do you want to unzip this file". That must have been too easy.
    Uhhh... none of the files are disappearing on your PC!! The DesktopManager AppLoader only reads .alx files!

You should be able to navigate to the downloaded files fine... and if they are not on your PC you should check to make sure your browser is downloading them right and that you are telling them to "Save" and not "Run" when downloading!!

Once they are saved to your PC, unzipped and ready for AppLoader... then you will be golden
    08-06-08 09:29 PM
    The golden part. How much money do you want to bet that that will happen?
    08-06-08 09:38 PM
    Okay, just for fun, what do I do with WeatherEye.jad? Now don't laugh, but it's in a box with other downloads, and the top of the box says "Downloads". I've never yet been able to find where it is on my computer. I figured it'd be in Docs and Settings, but it's not.
    08-06-08 09:41 PM
    The golden part. How much money do you want to bet that that will happen?
    I do not understand what you are talking about... I have given you step by step directions. A ton of productive instructions and am expecting to hear some useful feedback to we can figure this out...

and that is all you can say?!
    08-06-08 09:42 PM
    Okay, just for fun, what do I do with WeatherEye.jad? Now don't laugh, but it's in a box with other downloads, and the top of the box says "Downloads". I've never yet been able to find where it is on my computer. I figured it'd be in Docs and Settings, but it's not.
    1) I have stressed countless times before that you cannot load .jad with AppLoader!! Those files are for OTA installs!! Please take the time to carefully read back through all of my advice, because you obviously haven't

2) WTF is a "box". Are you talking about a Windows in Explorer or in DesktopManager...

Once you do all of that... get back to me by posting in this thread and we will see what we can do

*EDIT* : And check out this while you are at it as well......

Lecture 9: How To Install and Manage Third Party Software Applications On Your BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    08-06-08 09:45 PM
    That's what I don't get. The OTA's are landing on my desktop instead of my BB. So what's up with that?

That's one reason I suggested that someone lead me to a download that's not OTA, so I can see if this will work. But nobody bit the bait.
    08-06-08 09:52 PM
    That's what I don't get. The OTA's are landing on my desktop instead of my BB. So what's up with that?

That's one reason I suggested that someone lead me to a download that's not OTA, so I can see if this will work. But nobody bit the bait.
    When you install an OTA application... you do it from your device!!

You do not do this from your desktop!!

Over The Air... meaning it is directly loaded over the wireless network to your device! You do have a data plan, right? Email yourself the link for the file or navigate to the DL site... then click the OTA link from there!! Most apps have OTA and .zip alternatives.

Please read all of the info I have posted... including that last BB 101 Lecture series on Application installs. Everything I posted will clear things up. Take some time to read an understand.....
    08-06-08 09:55 PM
    This is what the Bible programmer told me after she said the download wasn't really meant for OTA although that's what it said it was:

"Once you've found the file, then you should be able to open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, and use the Media Manager to transfer the file. The left side of the screen shows your desktop files, and the right side shows your device. You need to click on the left side to point the Desktop Manager to the directory where the KJV has been stored on your desktop."

So what's Media Manager got to do with it? Every time I plug in my BB it goes to Drive G: Media Manager and asks if I want to rearrange my pictures. Why anyone would be confused about all this is beyond me....
    08-06-08 10:12 PM
    You have to admit you don't listen to me either. Look at my previous post where I said that I tried to download the Bible program from BOTH my BB and the Desktop, where it sat. It would not download to the BB from the BB. The lady at Olive Tree just told me although they post that it's an OTA download, it's not. So that's obviously the reason I couldn't do it from my BB. I've downloaded other things from my BB but ONLY OTA DOWNLOADS.
    Last edited by cbmember; 08-06-08 at 10:18 PM.
    08-06-08 10:15 PM
    You have to admit you don't listen to me either.
    OK backup a bit here. BMC has been trying his hardest and best to help
    you and unless you want to burn up whatever goodwill is left, you need
    to step off and snap to, like now.

Now if I remember the Bible file is a .pdb. Forget media manager just right click
    the file, select copy, open explorer, find a drive called BlackBerry,
    navigate to a folder called documents, right click on that folder and
    select paste
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 08-06-08 at 10:21 PM.
    08-06-08 10:19 PM
    You have to admit you don't listen to me either. Look at my previous post where I said that I tried to download the Bible program from BOTH my BB and the Desktop, where it sat. It would not download from the BB. The lady at Olive Tree just told me although they post that it's an OTA download, it's not. So that's obviously the reason I couldn't do it from my BB. I've downloaded other things from my BB but ONLY OTA DOWNLOADS.
    After a response like that and all of the help I have provide you, I am done...

From this point out you can refer to my old posts... or I can edit and remove them if you would want me to... if you find them useless. You are on your own to deal with "Olive Tree" support! Or, if some other unfortunate member wants to deal with your unthankful attitude, then so be it...

Sorry I could not lay everything out for you "perfectly". I admit, I do not understand every app... have a nice night!
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-06-08 at 10:22 PM.
    08-06-08 10:19 PM
    I'm done too. I like my Blackberry Curve, but the Desktop Manager has been nothing but a headache. I disabled it's ability to mess up my email data any more and the install app is a joke. Thanks anyway.
    08-06-08 10:28 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD