I have a Samsung Galaxy and the new BB Z10. There is no way the Samsung (Android) keyboard is as good. In fact, the intuitive typing feature on the Android can be a real pain. You have to remember with BB10, this is the first release of a brand new platform, There is a tremendous amount of potential here. I'm not saying Android is inferior or better. They both have good and bad points. If anyone's OS is falling behind, I think it's Apple's. Right now both Apple and Android obviously have an advantage with app availability. If that's important to you, then go to Android. I personally think that may change. Some of the apps on BB10 are gorgeous and I think you are going to see some good ones coming down the road. The flow and multitasking of BB10 is also superior to Android and way more superior to IOS.
    Agree on most points. iphone looks stale compared to BB and Android.
    Fundamentally I dont see the incentive for developers to pay a lot of attention to BB, and that scares me
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-10-13 08:58 AM
    Yeah I agree.. I have a galaxy note but my BBRY will always be my primary device. Android has many different launchers to choose from...so you can always have a change and make your device feel new. It all depends on what you need... BBRY has finally gotten some major apps that people 'seem to need' ...so don't worry the apps will come, better to get a working app than a rushed one that people will then whine about...

At the end it's all about personal preference and which device suits you best...for me my 9000, 9900 have always met my needs...they did what I needed best. My Z10 I'm sure will exceed that... So I'm happy..
    Nice, did you get the Z10 yet?
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-10-13 09:00 AM
    In short, I've grown accustomed to new experiences, and go for them often in the Smartphone realm. One is to resume using BBM. I still have a core of friends, virtual and quite real using BBM. I've always enjoyed my BBs. But I'm no longer locked into the mentality that nothing else exists. I'm also a CrackBerry, this is my forum home. I never posted an 'I'm leaving' thread, because I've always expected to carry on. I state my opinions and help people where I can, and sometimes, it is whether to step over a boundary. While I don't change ROMs and do a lot of customization, I put a platform through the wringer. If it fails to keep up, I look to move on.

Regardless of what happens, I try to have some fun, and make some folks laugh. It makes the day go better.
    ^^^^EXACTLY.....what he said. I made the switch to Android SG3 and like McDonalds add........"I"M LUVING IT"
    BergerKing likes this.
    You can change the bb keyboard to show suggestions at the top instead of the over the keys
    GTK thanks
    BergerKing likes this.
    There's definitely a reason they're one of the top downloaded apps. I just missed getting that keyboard on special for Christmas, and watch for a deal on it, again.
    lol will do
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-10-13 09:01 AM
    ^^^^EXACTLY.....what he said. I made the switch to Android SG3 and like McDonalds add........"I"M LUVING IT"
    Nice .... Any tips for a prospective BB defector to Android?
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-10-13 09:02 AM
    It should be pointed out that Android launcher swipe gestures do not work anywhere on the OS except for the home screen. You're still reliant on the buttons.

Until they hack a way to install Ubuntu phone OS on Android phones AND run android apps on it.
    Correct, although now it's any of your homescreens, not just the main one. But you cannot use the launchers gestures in apps, although there is an app I use on my Note 10.1 tab called GMD Gesture Control that works in apps.

EDIT: I just installed the GMD app on my phone and set up some settings. Now I can swipe Up to get to my Homescreen (same as BB10), swipe Up and Right to "Peek" at my notification bar, as well as swipe Up and Left to go Back. So now I have my phone set up to work entirely off gestures, rather than "buttons". It's a pretty cool app actually..and all these gestures can be performed within any app, not just from the homescreen.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 02-10-13 at 09:58 AM.
    02-10-13 09:04 AM
    I have a Samsung Galaxy and the new BB Z10. There is no way the Samsung (Android) keyboard is as good. In fact, the intuitive typing feature on the Android can be a real pain. You have to remember with BB10, this is the first release of a brand new platform, There is a tremendous amount of potential here. I'm not saying Android is inferior or better. They both have good and bad points. If anyone's OS is falling behind, I think it's Apple's. Right now both Apple and Android obviously have an advantage with app availability. If that's important to you, then go to Android. I personally think that may change. Some of the apps on BB10 are gorgeous and I think you are going to see some good ones coming down the road. The flow and multitasking of BB10 is also superior to Android and way more superior to IOS.
    Just to clarify a few things. You are correct in saying that the Samsung keyboard isn't as good as BB10's, heck, it's terrible imo. However, the stock Samsung keyboard is Samsungs design (just as HTC is theirs, and LG's is theirs etc), so it is not indicitive of all Android keyboards. The stock one on the Nexus lines is actually pretty good, although still nowhere near Swiftkey's level. I tried typing on a GS3 keyboard and within seconds I was ready to smash it. The autocorrect features are horrible, and it's not intuitive whatsoever. But as I said, this is Samsungs design.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-10-13 09:18 AM
    There has to be some compelling reasons to not go to Android though.
    Malware - supposd to be bad on Android right?
    Build quality - I'm sure its not as good as BB.

Right??
    BlackBerry World will fill up. Right now it's U.K. and Canada basically, when it come to the U.S. I expect decent sales will convince on the fence developers. But it's going to be a slow burn.

Yes, Android is #1 for malware currently. Perhaps as it's the most popular phone os at the moment.

BB has the best security, the best touch keyboard - who cares if it's a mod of SwiftKeyX?, the Hub and a great user experience (imo) navigating the phone.

BB will be updated to Android Jelly Bean some time this year and the app selection from Android apps, if needed by then, should greatly increase. And the BB phone puts Android apps in a protected space where malware cannot infect the rest of your phone (at least that's my understanding).

These are my top 3. But honestly if you enjoy the Android UI and need to have a billion apps right now, then maybe you should go out and get an extra large Samsung =), or whatever floats your boat. I'm entirely satisfied with my Z10, and happy with the apps I already have on it. I loaded up about 40 the first day I had it, including sideloading (imdb and more). I'm a former iPhone 4S user, and also have a playbook, and an asus transformer TF101 running a Jelly Bean hack (TeamEOS).

My Z10 and my Playbook get used constantly, my iPhone is now a backup and my transformer sits on the shelf...

Cheers
    Peej
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-10-13 10:18 AM
    BlackBerry World will fill up. Right now it's U.K. and Canada basically, when it come to the U.S. I expect decent sales will convince on the fence developers. But it's going to be a slow burn.
    But honestly if you enjoy the Android UI and need to have a billion apps right now, then maybe you should go out and get an extra large Samsung =), or whatever floats your boat.
    I sincerely hope that BB World fills up, because as of right now, it's terrible. If certain apps are a concern to the OP, then i'd suggest logging onto BB World via PC and set the device to Z10 and have a look around. If what you like can be found, great, but I know personally, the app selection in there is pretty shoddy for the amount of time and Dev Jams BB spent trying to entice developers.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-10-13 10:25 AM
    I sincerely hope that BB World fills up, because as of right now, it's terrible. If certain apps are a concern to the OP, then i'd suggest logging onto BB World via PC and set the device to Z10 and have a look around. If what you like can be found, great, but I know personally, the app selection in there is pretty shoddy for the amount of time and Dev Jams BB spent trying to entice developers.
    I think part of it is the approval process on Blackberry's end. I think they're still catching up. I downloaded an NFC app purchase this morning and the developers sent an email thanking me and letting me know that a more updated version will be forthcoming. That it had been submitted prior to the Z10 launch and they were just waiting for it to be approved.

I'm gonna be patient for the next few weeks. I think everyone was focused on the launch and now they're playing catchup. Good things come to those who wait, as my grandmother used to say.

Cheers
    Peej
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-10-13 10:41 AM
    Ciao buddy!!!
    02-10-13 10:43 AM
    & 7 pages later....?
    02-10-13 11:03 AM
    I think part of it is the approval process on Blackberry's end. I think they're still catching up. I downloaded an NFC app purchase this morning and the developers sent an email thanking me and letting me know that a more updated version will be forthcoming. That it had been submitted prior to the Z10 launch and they were just waiting for it to be approved.

I'm gonna be patient for the next few weeks. I think everyone was focused on the launch and now they're playing catchup. Good things come to those who wait, as my grandmother used to say.

Cheers
    Peej
    I definitely agree it will get better, as will the minor bugs and whatnot once an update comes. It'll be a long road yet though as far as the apps go, as i'm sure a lot of developers will be waiting awhile for BB10 to gain traction before commiting their time to building native apps. I suspect within the next year, we'll start to see more and more native apps being built than ports. The biggest thing will be to get BB on the mind of devs, as currently, iOS is tops, and then Android, with Windows and BB in a distant third. Hopefully one day we'll see successfull apps being built first for BB, and then based on success, being built for the other platforms as well, instead of vice versa.
    02-10-13 11:16 AM
    Please convince me to not move to Android.....are you serious!!!! Is this for real? Wait....crackberry.com... just making sure I am on the correct site. CONVINCE you from not moving to Android...is this an intervention????? OMG....oh the humanity. It's 2013, you have the whole internet to review what the Z10 is about. You have asked numerous and received open and honest responses....Let me help you, go buy a freaking Android and be done with it. Guess what.... you can return it and get another phone. You seem to have made your mind but keep using passive aggression to market the benefits of an Android on a BlackBerry site. I know I don't have a life, I don't need to go through 7 pages of this to remind me......incredible.
    Last edited by BKbehave; 02-10-13 at 02:04 PM.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    02-10-13 11:32 AM
    Just to clarify a few things. You are correct in saying that the Samsung keyboard isn't as good as BB10's, heck, it's terrible imo. However, the stock Samsung keyboard is Samsungs design (just as HTC is theirs, and LG's is theirs etc), so it is not indicitive of all Android keyboards. The stock one on the Nexus lines is actually pretty good, although still nowhere near Swiftkey's level. I tried typing on a GS3 keyboard and within seconds I was ready to smash it. The autocorrect features are horrible, and it's not intuitive whatsoever. But as I said, this is Samsungs design.
    Swiftkey is pretty impressive. Their website invites improvements and they are clearly organically improving the app
    02-10-13 11:36 AM

Yes, Android is #1 for malware currently. Perhaps as it's the most popular phone os at the moment.

BB has the best security, the best touch keyboard - who cares if it's a mod of SwiftKeyX?, the Hub and a great user experience (imo) navigating the phone.

BB will be updated to Android Jelly Bean some time this year and the app selection from Android apps, if needed by then, should greatly increase. And the BB phone puts Android apps in a protected space where malware cannot infect the rest of your phone (at least that's my understanding).

These are my top 3. But honestly if you enjoy the Android UI and need to have a billion apps right now, then maybe you should go out and get an extra large Samsung =), or whatever floats your boat. I'm entirely satisfied with my Z10, and happy with the apps I already have on it. I loaded up about 40 the first day I had it, including sideloading (imdb and more). I'm a former iPhone 4S user, and also have a playbook, and an asus transformer TF101 running a Jelly Bean hack (TeamEOS).

My Z10 and my Playbook get used constantly, my iPhone is now a backup and my transformer sits on the shelf...

Cheers
    Peej
    Very nice. Were you able to find and/or sideload Gmail app / Google Maps / Google Voice?
    02-10-13 11:38 AM
    what is the current convincement status?
    02-10-13 11:45 AM
    Android is pretty good, as long as u dont mind Google stalking on ya 24/7
    pcguy514 likes this.
    02-10-13 11:47 AM
    Nice .... Any tips for a prospective BB defector to Android?
    Since I'm in America and haven't had a chance to use the BB10 devices, I can't really compare or comment on the new devices, but I decided to try something different after six years of using Blackberry devices and .......WOW, the SG3 is defintely ALL its advertised to be. I always wondered why carrier stores had sooooo many Androids on display and now I know. I'm still a Blackberrian at heart and want to see what the Z10 has to offer when released in the USA as well as the new SG4........Happy to say I'm not Blind anymore
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-10-13 11:47 AM
    what is the current convincement status?
    Since I love my 9900 theres no huge rush. I had planned to get a Z10 but with no evidence of Google Voice (absolute requirement) but also no Google Apps at all, I'm still undecided. Currently the the idea is to plan on getting Galaxy 4 (but if Z10 or Q10 has Google apps then I'd do that instead). Really Wish BB would do a larger-screen qwerty though.
    02-10-13 11:49 AM
    Android is pretty good, as long as u dont mind Google stalking on ya 24/7
    Yup and frankly with Gmail they already are, so I'm used to it
    02-10-13 11:50 AM
    Since I love my 9900 theres no huge rush. I had planned to get a Z10 but with no evidence of Google Voice (absolute requirement) but also no Google Apps at all, I'm still undecided. Currently the the idea is to plan on getting Galaxy 4 (but if Z10 or Q10 has Google apps then I'd do that instead). Really Wish BB would do a larger-screen qwerty though.
    Yeah that phone is really good actually, I've tried SGS3 and SGN2 before... But its made in Korea, so i dumped them
    02-10-13 11:51 AM
    Exactly. No point in jumping on board with something that currently doesn't meet your needs, only to have it leave a bad taste in your mouth and return it. Better to wait and see what happens with some of the Google apps and whatnot, and make a more informed decision as updates get released. If the Z10 had some of the apps I need, i'd give it a shot. But as it currently stands, i'll be waiting and watching.
    02-10-13 11:51 AM
    Since I'm in America and haven't had a chance to use the BB10 devices, I can't really compare or comment on the new devices, but I decided to try something different after six years of using Blackberry devices and .......WOW, the SG3 is defintely ALL its advertised to be. I always wondered why carrier stores had sooooo many Androids on display and now I know. I'm still a Blackberrian at heart and want to see what the Z10 has to offer when released in the USA as well as the new SG4........Happy to say I'm not Blind anymore
    Yup Galaxy looks like the way to go for Android. Like the idea of Nexus 4 but w/o any cust svc and terrible battery it doesnt seem practical.
    02-10-13 11:52 AM
271 ... 56789 ...