Ok, I can't say i have been a "ride or die" blackberry fan for years, since my curve 8320 is the first Blackberry i have ever owned. However, in my short stint (i have had it since it was released under T-mobile in October) i have been TOYED WITH...yeah i've said it, TOYED WITH. In the 6-7 months that i have had this phone, i have been promised an OS upgrade just about every month!!!

Now keep in mind, before i made the curve move, i was about a credit check away from going way of the iphone. However, i digress, i do not regret making the choice i made to go with BB. I love the platform and the room for growth that BB has. Plus the keyboard is awesome!!! But with all of that said, i have watched iphone users go through about 2 firmware upgrades and i am looking at a 3rd in about a month....I AM STILL WAITING ON MY FIRST BB OS UPGRADE!!!! I am not big fan of the anti-Christ (Steve Jobs) but he is not playing with putting out new firmware and expanding to keep his target base interested and watering at the mouth for more.

This is where i feel RIM needs to take note, sure we have seen countless summaries of the features of OS 4.5 and 4.6 and even seen the launch of new handsets like the CDMA curves and new Pearls and a snazzy commercial. But COME ONE!!! THE Bold which is going to revolutionize the BB community and the rest of the market in my opinion (and in the opinions of crackberries everywhere) still has no release date, we are seeing mock ups of the THUNDER, we will POSSIBLY be seeing the KICKSTART this fall, we are still toying around with buggy OS 4.5 all the while APPLE is gaining rapidly in the cellphone market.

Based on reading posts from our beloved crackberry.com and other BB forums, all of this waiting no and action, coupled with all the moves APPLE is making, is starting to way in on even the most loyal BB users. In the last few HOURS i have seen more "i want the new 3G iphone" come from BB users than ever before.

With all of this said, I PLEAD WITH THE POWERS THAT BE AT RIM...MAKE MOVES NOW!!! Release OS 4.6 (scrap 4.5 altogether, its taking what feels like years anyway) Follow that with a summer release of the BOLD (not an end of summer, start of fall release)

Please RIM i love you all like cooked food, however, if you continue to make your loyal subjects wait longer, your arch nemesis Apple will soon be BOLDly taking away your subjects and placing cheaper, timelier 3g iphones in our hands...
    06-10-08 12:13 AM
    Man, I feel like a heel for even getting excited by the iPhone... But it looks darn promising! I mean, I've built devices for my berry, customized apps and even helped test and develop apps, learned how to customize themes and the cases of berries and taught so many others on berries in this short time and I'd be willing to walk away from it all JUST for the rich developers environment that Apple is proposing.

I mean, developing with RIMs product is a pain in the arse, but Apple is promising the Garden of Eden for developers!! What is RIM thinking? Why won't they at least try to show something before Apple drops the bomb!?

I know that in the past RIM hasn't had to really show any of their strengths because they have a loyal corporate following. But when it comes to the consumer market are they realizing that their dominance just might be threatened?

Dm
    06-10-08 08:40 AM
    There are many people out there who just looked at the blackberry bold and turned into crackberry addicts. But why is there no news from RIM?! Give us a date, give us a price!!! Something!!
    I dont own a balckberry yet, but I've already looked for medical applications to put on the BOLD. I plan to turn the bold into a crackberry; if it's ever released.
    P.S. I live in Trinidad, have to buy it without a plan (unlocked) as it will take months but it gets here.
    Sigh.
    06-10-08 05:30 PM
    Man i feel your pain MR Eastwood!!! i wish they would get off the bench and play some ball...
    06-10-08 05:48 PM
    i hear u man ... i was thinking same thing!
    I guess they dont want to put somthing out there thats has alot of bugs but how long does it take !!
    06-10-08 05:57 PM
    All of us are tired of waiting. Unfortunately, we have no choice

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-08 06:00 PM
    iPhone firmware updates can't be compared to RIM OS updates. RIM adds pretty significant changes to their Operating System when they release a new one, 4.5 is a whole new OS remember that... It's like going from Windows XP to Windows Vista, whereas the firmware updates I for the iPhone as far as I can tell would be more like them releasing a Service Pack.
    06-10-08 06:18 PM
    iPhone firmware updates can't be compared to RIM OS updates. RIM adds pretty significant changes to their Operating System when they release a new one, 4.5 is a whole new OS remember that... It's like going from Windows XP to Windows Vista, whereas the firmware updates I for the iPhone as far as I can tell would be more like them releasing a Service Pack.
    I understand what you are saying, its just the frustration talking i guess. I mean i am being as loyal as i possibly can. Its just hard to take all this heat from my iphone toting friends...lol. I know RIM doesn't want to put out anything that is not stable but come one, does it really need to take this long? I mean in regards to testing, these BETA projects could be made public and have the findings that the public makes noted, that much quicker to correct. At least i believe it would be a faster and cheaper way to find out what works, what doesn't and what needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by MrEastwood; 06-11-08 at 01:30 AM.
    06-10-08 06:57 PM
    I understand what you are saying, its just the frustration talking i guess. I mean i am being as loyal as i possibly can. It just hard to take all heat from my iphone toting friends...lol. I know RIM doesn't want to put out anything that is not stable but come one, does it really need to take this long? I mean in regards to testing, these BETA projects could be made public and have the findings that the public makes, that much quicker to correct. At least i believe it would be a faster and cheaper way to find out what works, what doesn't and what needs to be fixed.
    But if they release a public BETA that isn't completely stable... It could end up Bricking or Nuking a consumer's device and then of course that consumer is going to blame them. And then if it gets to the press that they were releasing software to the public that caused people's devices to become paperweights, I don't think that would be too good for them, and certainly not too good for us. Imagine the flak we would catch from the iPhone fan-boys!

Just sit back and relax and next time one of your iPhone toting friends come along and mention something about it, just tell them "at least, if my battery is drained, I put in a new one, no charging necessary, if my battery dies, I grab a new one, and get to keep my phone, no need to send it in for repairs."
    06-11-08 12:51 AM
    Just sit back and relax and next time one of your iPhone toting friends come along and mention something about it, just tell them "at least, if my battery is drained, I put in a new one, no charging necessary, if my battery dies, I grab a new one, and get to keep my phone, no need to send it in for repairs."
    Or you can just say, "At least I can copy and paste!"
    06-11-08 01:14 AM
    Or you can just say, "At least I can copy and paste!"
    LMAO... also true.
    06-11-08 01:15 AM
    But if they release a public BETA that isn't completely stable... It could end up Bricking or Nuking a consumer's device and then of course that consumer is going to blame them. And then if it gets to the press that they were releasing software to the public that caused people's devices to become paperweights, I don't think that would be too good for them, and certainly not too good for us. Imagine the flak we would catch from the iPhone fan-boys!

True story my friend...i guess i never looked at it from that aspect. I will say that i am a bit happier now that the Bold has finally appeared on the ATT website. Now the only downside for me is i would have to shell out who knows how much money to get an unlocked Bold since i am not an ATT customer (T-mobile to be exact). Boy i tell you, when its not one thing, its another
    06-11-08 01:36 AM
    True story my friend...i guess i never looked at it from that aspect. I will say that i am a bit happier now that the Bold has finally appeared on the ATT website. Now the only downside for me is i would have to shell out who knows how much money to get an unlocked Bold since i am not an ATT customer (T-mobile to be exact). Boy i tell you, when its not one thing, its another
    Don't go jumping ship to ATT just yet, something tells me this is a scare tactic/marketing ploy...

Yes it says that it will be "available exclusively from ATT." BUT, it doesn't say how long, I'm thinking 30-90 days exclusive. Because T-Mobile reps AND Sprint reps have confirmed that they will be receiving the Bold and when they say it they aren't saying it like "We'll get it eventually..." They're referring to not too long after ATT.

I believe this is just a marketing ploy from ATT to get people to jump ship from whatever company their on, and go sign up for a 2-3 year contract with them. We shall see though... we shall see..
    06-11-08 04:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD