So I actually grabbed Surface the day it came out as everything fit well for me. I don't know how many are interested in this topic but thought I would throw it out there as I like comparing my tablet to others. I obviously have the playbook and still enjoy it very much. So this isn't to bash the playbook at all but just to compare.

Now it is a little hard to compare because they are both two very different tablets all together. Lets start with Surface:

I have had the Playbook for awhile now so it has slowed down a little bit, so Surface feels pretty fast when surfing the net for example. But that comes with having quad core processor and being brand new. (and also costing a heck of a lot more) The build quality is similar to Playbook in that it feels very solid and well built. Microsoft didn't cheap out on this tablet and it shows. The metal backing is nice and one feature that I use every single day is the kickstand. I actually think that it should be on every tablet cause it just comes in so handy and you don't even think about it after awhile and just flip it out. It has the same micro HDMI port as the Playbook which I also really enjoy! The reason I actually bought Surface was to try and replace our lightly used old laptop and so far it has been almost able to completely replace it. That's why it was key it have microSD card and USB slot. Both these get a lot of use and it is nice to be able to plug in almost any device to the USB (for instance I threw in a xbox controller and hooked it to my TV and played a compatible game using the controller). I also bought the touch case and it adds so much functionality with the track pad also included on it, and works very well. The Playbook and Surface share some similarities in the files department to. I enjoy on both devices that you can go into your files and folders and play around with them right there, although the options through the desktop on Surface tend to be a little easier to get to and use since I am so used to the layout from being familiar with a windows machine. The screens are actually very similar and are both very good to me so no complaints either way. It is nice having skype and netflix right out of the box and I have used both a little bit but I am not dependent on them. What really is killer to me on Surface is having the new versions of Office for free, and makes you feel like you can really get some serious work done on this tablet. Over all I think it is the best tablet I have owned, and with its features I wouldn't even look at an iPad or android device again, as long as its still around in the years to come.

Now for the downsides to it. The price may be a little steep for some and that's understandable so you have to know what your getting for your money. To me the Playbook is actually easier to get into through wifi for transferring and grabbing files off of. I have never really liked windows networking options, and it is no different on Surface. Windows RT is actually very polished but still has a few bugs to work out and things we will have to wait and see if they are fixed. I can also see someone who is not familiar with a windows device to get confused between the tile (metro style) interface and the desktop and having two sets of settings can be a pain so hopefully they slowly get away from the desktop in RT down the road. Another thing that needs work is the app selection. It feels a little bit like when I bought Playbook, and I also miss some quality apps like Blaq. The mail app is also not quite up to par with Playbooks. The other thing that is noticeable right away is the amount of games! in the last year Playbook to me has just exploded with games for the device, and the windows store just doesn't have as many yet, but again we have to see with time.

So overall I really enjoy both tablets and it really is about your preferences. If you are at home I would say the Surface is nicer for the bigger screen, faster speed, and keyboard and office apps. When going out the the portability and ease of the Playbook is so nice, and you don't get tired of holding it! I won't get rid of the Playbook as it is a great device and I have it set up the way I want to for on the road with my business.
    11-18-12 04:26 PM
    Excellent, I was going to check one out. I enjoy windows 8 on my laptop I might buy one.
    shn'g likes this.
    11-18-12 04:42 PM
    A good write up
    I'm far more interested in the forthcoming x86 surface, which I might consider getting, than in the RT (which IMO was a mistake for MIcrosoft).
    shn'g and kbz1960 like this.
    11-18-12 07:46 PM
    Nice unbiased write-up. What I don't understand is the need to compare 2 products that really shouldn't be compared. Kinda like saying a 55" Samsung LED tv is better than a 32" Magnavox.
    shn'g and Bbnivende like this.
    11-18-12 08:18 PM
    Nice unbiased write-up. What I don't understand is the need to compare 2 products that really shouldn't be compared. Kinda like saying a 55" Samsung LED tv is better than a 32" Magnavox.
    There is no "need" he just compared them because he owns both and thought it might provide insight to others. It a great write up none the less.
    11-18-12 08:51 PM
    Great review OP..

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    shn'g likes this.
    11-18-12 08:54 PM
    Well said, going to patiently wait and see what BB 10 OS brings to the party for PB, then would like another comparison..
    shn'g likes this.
    11-18-12 08:55 PM
    Someone might only have room for one tv and have to make that exact decision.
    shn'g likes this.
    11-18-12 09:11 PM
    I feel dumb cause every time i go to Costco I attempt to try and use one of their W8 laptops and i just cant grasp on to the new layout.
    shn'g likes this.
    11-18-12 10:05 PM
    I feel dumb cause every time i go to Costco I attempt to try and use one of their W8 laptops and i just cant grasp on to the new layout.
    There is nothin bdifferent

Moving your mouse to any corner causes menus to appear.

No more start bar: now you get a start screen

You can press the windows key any time ti go to old view of desktop.

You got bunch of live tiles that eat your ram

That's it
    shn'g and sydsam like this.
    11-18-12 10:22 PM
    this is why crackberry is such a good site.. its community is just awesome. Thanks everyone for responding!

I can't wait till BB10 comes out for the Playbook and will definitely compare the two again when it is released!
    Balti43 and seamonky like this.
    11-18-12 11:29 PM
    I probably need more time to use it to actually get it. I mean it looks like the xbox ui but my platform life is just a clusterf/ck of crazyness. apple computer, android phone, blackberry tablet, windows gaming device i wasn't ready for W8.
    11-19-12 12:55 AM
    I probably need more time to use it to actually get it. I mean it looks like the xbox ui but my platform life is just a clusterf/ck of crazyness. apple computer, android phone, blackberry tablet, windows gaming device i wasn't ready for W8.
    Diversity for the win
    11-19-12 01:22 AM
    Can someone tell me what the "RT" stands for please?

TIA
    shn'g likes this.
    11-19-12 04:48 AM
    nice write up, how do you rate, media playing capability? What codec does it support with and without external app.
    11-19-12 04:54 AM
    I actually bought the playbook cause it was cheap and for ''guests'' seriously broads that stay with no invertation to stay and them whining about getting bored is not the one.

Im waiting for the pro version which will let me install software like regular pc/laptop.I dont have a laptop never wanted one the weight bags all that hassel.Im waiting for oem tabtops I think thats when win8 will do well imo not this RT water down version thats a confused product.If they actually had apps and concentrated on only the metro they would of made alot of money.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 11-20-12 at 10:46 AM.
    11-19-12 12:18 PM
    the surface is a great piece of hardware but @ >$750 for 64 GB and the ms version of a normal keyboard it stupid expensive imo. I found it tedious for real production use and it totally sucks doing any sort of remote work. I tried every connection I could, full tilt T620 with 2.4GHz xeon dual proc 6 core and 32 GB of main SBS 2011 on a T710 fully loaded and several 2008R2 based VMs. The combo of processor, memory and video do not cut in for remote work, its not even close to what is should be for a machine that costs this much. For ~$400 it would be in my glove box but not for a cent more. trust me, I wanted to love it and leave my 6320 @ home but its not going to happen this time around. just my .02.
    11-19-12 12:51 PM

TIA
    Runtime.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-19-12 02:37 PM

TIA
    Retweet
    I think it strands for runtime (because it's a micro$oft runtime environment on an arm chip).
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-19-12 02:53 PM
    nice write up, how do you rate, media playing capability? What codec does it support with and without external app.
    to be honest at this point it isn't that great. It would be the equivalent of an iPad without extra software. I won't be able to tell you what external apps are good cause at this point I haven't really seen any. It needs a nice vlc player or xbmc (which I doubt will happen for quite awhile) I can't really tell you on the audio side cause I haven't really gotten into the audio too much.
    adi_vastava likes this.
    11-19-12 03:28 PM
    Runtime.
    I think it strands for runtime (because it's a micro$oft runtime environment on an arm chip).
    Thanks for the replies and explanation guys!
    I'm so caught up in RIM/BlackBerry thought, my sight distance past that horizon is very limited.

You know, I actually tried Google and came up with jack... Not sure why...
    11-19-12 06:52 PM
    It does not stand for runtime. Microsoft has never identified what it stands for. Windows Runtime is a set of tools used to create software. Microsoft often abbreviates it to WinRT. Thus the confusion (and extremely poor naming convention by MS.)
    11-20-12 08:00 AM
    WhatEVER it actually stands for what it means is that it is NOT the full version of Win8, it is a lite version designed for tablets and other modular devices that can not handle full blown Win8. They do have a surface coming with Win8, plus there are current options with Win8, the Levono one looks promising.
    11-20-12 09:58 AM
    WhatEVER it actually stands for what it means is that it is NOT the full version of Win8, it is a lite version designed for tablets and other modular devices that can not handle full blown Win8. They do have a surface coming with Win8, plus there are current options with Win8, the Levono one looks promising.
    Well, it is the full blown version of windows, but it only runs apps that are capable of running on ARM architecture. That basically means Metro store apps only (plus the special version of office that comes with it). I have a Surface. Sometimes I really like it, sometimes I want to throw it against the wall.
    11-20-12 10:29 AM
    I actually bought the playbook cause it was cheap and for ''guests'' seriously broads that stay with no invertation to stay and them whining about getting bored is not the one.

Im waiting for the pro version which will let me install software like regular pc/laptop.I dont have a laptop never wanted one the weight bags all that hassel.Im waiting for oem tabtops I think thats when win8 will do well imo not this RT water down version thats a confused product.If they actually had apps and concentrated on only the metro they would of made alot of money.
    Sorry I don't find my notebook heavy and there are small cases you can put them in. I think Tablets are overhyped, and I certainly can't make use of anything like a Surface RT, Playbook, or iPad. They simply don't do enough. I use real applications for what I do on "computers," and my smartphone does everything a tablet does and more in most cases.

People are going to buy a Pro for more than a notebook to add a keyboard or whatever to it and use it like a notebook. Sorry, it boggles my mind.
    11-20-12 11:51 AM
36 12