I�m picking up my new (to me) VZW BB Curve 8330 tomorrow and the anticipation is killing me. Right now I�m just trying to familiarize myself with the device (via this forum) and hoping to make my transition to Blackberry as smooth as possible. I�m excited, nervous and confused all at the same time�

As an avid Gmail and Gcal user I'm worried, as I�ve heard a lot of not so nice stories about the BB with Gmail. I have all of my business emails forwarded to Gmail account, and do all of my business and personal emailing through Gmail. Is there a way to use a differenent reply to address? My main reason for wanting to get a BB was the instant reception of emails via PUSH technology. The Gmail is definitely not instant, and I�m not reading good things about IMAP. Would my best bet be to set up Gmail to fwd to the BB, then set up appropriate filters to avoid the duplicate sent mails from the BB. I�m so confused, and the more I read the more confused I seem to get. Any idea when Gmail will get true 2 way communication with BB devices via IMAP? What�s the holdup?

What about Gsync for syncing my Calendars and contacts? Any tips? Can you sync multiple calendars?

Right now I�m working on cleaning up my contact list in Gmail so that I can import all of the contacts to my phone when I get it. Any tips? Will contact groups import to the BB?

I hope this post isn't confusing, and I look forward to replies. This forum has been an incredible resource. Thanks.
    01-03-09 11:17 AM
    I've been using Gmail with BB for a good long time and i've had no issues with it (I do reccomend setting a rule to not forward your sent emails to th device.) It's just about as instant as you can get. and the IMAP features dont work as normal.... not perfect 2way communication but you can set the device to delete on the server as well as the device (tho i dont understand wy you would want to)

As for the gsync. Yes you can sync multiple calendars but the blackberry wont keep them seperate and it will only upload to a single calendar. and im not happy with the contact sync. so i dont use it
    01-03-09 11:24 AM
    Thanks. I'm open to suggestions for contact management.
    01-03-09 11:26 AM
    Totally agree. I only use one calender so not as intensive as your needs but Calender synch works great. I too have avoided Google contact synch. Read too much about it.

For my gmail the google gmail app is fast enough for me. And as my main account, I like having it separate from my other BIS email accounts. But that's just me!

In the forum "how to" in Crackberry, there is a wonderful discussion for how to set up a filter for instant gmail push. But I think it is for only email address. Basically forward your gmail to your carrier blackberry email that you'll set up with your carrier. You can set just one reply address though. So I don't think it works with multiple gmail address.

Check out that thread! Happy New Year everybody!!
    01-03-09 11:33 AM
    outlook is the best way to sync your contacts. I have been using outlook for several years and it works great for calendar and contact integration. Unfortunately, I lost my company laptop and had to start using the Gsync,...I agree that the contact sync isn't quite up to par. I'm going to start using a personal version of outlook soon....

Good luck and welcome to the addiction..
    01-03-09 11:36 AM
    Do you need to be on the BES to sync with Outlook? Of will it work with BIS?
    01-03-09 12:12 PM
    I use Gsync for contacts as well as calendars - Contact sync works fine for me. I had hundreds of contacts in Gmail and had them synced to the BB just fine. Of course, it's not perfect - I wish there were better support for groups (via gmail contacts), but it's fine for me. The one main thing you have to remember is that gmail contacts require that there be an email address associated with a contact entry. That's kind of a bummer, but you can get around it easy enough by making up an easily-recognizeable fake email address for an entry. For example, "[email protected]" or whatever.

You will absolutely LOVE the way BB works with Google's gmail and calendar service!
    01-03-09 12:55 PM
    You will absolutely LOVE the way BB works with Google's gmail and calendar service!
    Thanks. I've been terrified that I was going to finally get a BB only to have to give up beloved Gmail.
    01-03-09 01:25 PM
    Thanks. I've been terrified that I was going to finally get a BB only to have to give up beloved Gmail.
    Nope Google likes blackberry users!!! I'd leave Blackberry before I left gmail...
    01-03-09 01:33 PM
    Check this link for setting up GMail with a Blackberry for push services.

Yes, you can sync multiple calendars with GSync. Open GSync, go to Options, then click where it says "Sync These Calendars." You should then have a checklist of calendars to choose from if you have multiple calendars under "My Calendars" and/or "other Calendars" on your GCal page.

AND you can assign your own notification sound for incoming GMail messages in profile options!

Enjoy your BB
    01-03-09 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD