Okay, So I'm looking to go get myself a blackberry because my old phone is dieing.
    Anyways, I'm trying to decide on one.
    I'm thinking of sticking to gsm... for whatever reason, I like it better.
    But I can't get the 9520, (i think that's the gsm model, right?) up here yet. Not that the touch does much for me, but i do like the idea of the big screen.

Anyways, my main candidates are:

Bold - For obvious reasons. It's big and shiny lol.

Javelin (or the curve i suppose) - It seems to be kind of the middle ground for blackberrys. Not too big, most of the goodies, and a hair cheaper than the bold.

Or the Pearl Flip - purely because the flip seems a little less awkward to talk on, and it's a little more compact.

Anyways, what are your thoughts?
    How do they stack up against each other?
    03-15-09 02:08 PM
    Bold - 3G capable and for now the flagship GSM Blackberry. All the bells and whistles. Some may find it a little big though.

Curve 8900 - IMO the size is perfect as far as a balance between a full keyboard and a pocketable device is concerned. Better looking than the Bold I dare say. Screen is unbelievably sharp. But no 3G.

Pearl flip - Good form factor if you're after a smartphone that more closely resembles a "dumb" phone. But smaller screen and no 3G (if you're sticking with a GSM carrier). Also it's got a SureType keyboard, which is either a love it or hate it thing.
    03-15-09 02:48 PM
    whats ur carrier?
    stick with w/e carrier u got n their phones unless u getting an unlocked one
    03-15-09 03:24 PM
    I'm with Fido, but its pretty well useless, and the phones are sad. I can get a pearl, but that's it... And my contracts up in a month, or 2 anyways, so I'm not worried about switching over. So I'm going with Rogers (I think).
    Canadian companies, or Canadian counterparts for those of you with a blank stare.

So I think.... It shall be the Bold or javelin.
    Does not having 3G really hurt that much?
    and for that matter, how much would i be missing out on not getting the Bold?
    03-15-09 06:05 PM
    I personally think the javelin is a great device, but I'd be content with a bold. the javelin has more memory though.
    03-15-09 06:31 PM
    I have the 8900 and love it. The 3g wouldve been nice but it works fine without it. The only improvement I could see with3g is better gps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 07:19 PM
    Go Bold baby, cause I'll be jealous, that's why!
    03-15-09 07:30 PM
    hey if you are near wifi all day might as well just connect to that instead of 3g
    03-15-09 07:30 PM
    My recommendation is for the Javelin. Wifi, GPS, smooth OS, great memory.

Plus RIM, learned from the Storm and Bold rollouts and fixed all the OS problems for the Javelin...
    03-15-09 07:35 PM
    one word...BOLD!
    03-15-09 07:41 PM
    I have the 8900 and I love it. Its a overall great phone. I highly recommend it.

03-15-09 07:50 PM
    8900 all the way the best Blackberry out yet !
    03-15-09 11:12 PM
    I have the Bold...really liked the 8900 tho, especially coming from the older curve 8310. The biggest advantage about 3G from what I can see... is streaming media, like slacker radio, and using the data and the phone at the same time, ie using bluetooth headset/stereo and surfing the web (I've done it...quite often actually)
    03-15-09 11:19 PM
    I have a pearl, but I just CAN'T WAIT to get my bold

03-16-09 01:30 AM
    hmm... Seems like the the 8900 may just be the way to go... from the sounds of it...
    03-16-09 10:48 AM
    Go Bold or Go Home...
    03-16-09 10:56 AM
    I'm a girl and I used Bold. Just gives my ego a little boost when I see other with a curve or flip or whatever. It is good, fast, reliable.. ooh I can't love it more.
    My friend has the flip and I find it very difficult for typing because 2 letters share a key. you will have to use predictive texting.
    BOLD BOLD BOLD..
    03-16-09 08:25 PM
    well idk if this helps but i love love love my curve!
    03-16-09 08:51 PM
    There's just a bunch of T-Mobile USA users who have the 8900 only because there isn't a Bold with support for T-Mobile 3G. That's why you're seeing the support for the 8900.

The Bold is the best option because of 3G. The Bold is stable and the issues have been worked out.

My recommendation is for the Javelin. Wifi, GPS, smooth OS, great memory.

Plus RIM, learned from the Storm and Bold rollouts and fixed all the OS problems for the Javelin...
    The Bold has Wi-Fi, GPS, a smooth OS but not as much memory. 3G is better than more memory however.
    03-16-09 08:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD