I am an auto mechanic and occasionally have to answer the phone with dirty hands. My 9780 survived 3yrs with no problems but I had to replace the keyboard on my 9900 after six months due to back button stickiness. Now I have a z10 but with only PK phones coming out of BlackBerry as of late, I am starting to wonder if I going to be forced to use one and how long it will last. Is the high end touch BlackBerry history?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by desporterizer; 09-18-14 at 01:33 PM.
    09-18-14 09:15 AM
    I am an auto mechanic and occasionally have to answer the phone with dirty hands. My 9780 survived 3yrs with no problems but I had to replace the keyboard on my 9900 after six months due to back button stickiness. Now I have a z10 but with only PK phones coming out of BlackBerry as of late, I am starting to wonder if I going to be forced to use one and how long it will last. Is the high end touch BlackBerry history?

Posted via CB10
    I've always used alcohol and Q-tips to clean my keyboards and I have a Z10 and two Q10s. It does help. If it's already grimy, get a dry, soft towel and a higher strength of alcohol - 70 or 90+ (less water) and wipe the keyboard down, then use the swabs for detail. It doesn't take much. The alcohol will dry quickly. As far as a high-end touch, I'm holding out for one- at least until next year. Good Luck.
    09-18-14 09:40 AM
    Good tips but I found crud under the keys so I don't know how much a wipe would help. It may have been old coffee too cause the bold was used. I just don't know if I should grab a z30 while they are still around or wait for the next gen.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 10:30 AM
    Good tips but I found crud under the keys so I don't know how much a wipe would help. It may have been old coffee too cause the bold was used. I just don't know if I should grab a z30 while they are still around or wait for the next gen.
    Stocks of the Verizon Z30 have been exhausted, except perhaps for those set aside for enterprise sales. Not sure what inventory is like for the Canadian/Euro version are like, but there is no high-end touch device on any officially announced roadmap, and unless BB has managed to keep the development of one under wraps FAR better than ever before (we've always seen parts leak and heard about configurations LONG before the phones were released), we're a minimum of 6 months away from one being released. It's also possible that one won't ever be released.

Given that, I'd consider getting the Z30 soon, if an all-touch is what you're after.
    09-18-14 12:47 PM
    It's also possible that one won't ever be released.
    That's the part that worries me. I don't mind physical keyboards but trashing a keyboard every six months can get expensive. I can wait six months to a year for another touch device easy but if its going to be PK from blackberry from now on, I am going to regret not getting a z30. Curses for being born poor!
    09-18-14 01:41 PM
    I also work in not the cleanest environments and have to use my phones with dirty hands. However it most likely not as extreme as it is with your work! So far I haven't had too many problems with my keyboards, yet I have to say before the Bold 9900 I only used sliders which got their keyboards covered during calls.

I'd wait at least for the Passport release. Maybe prices will go down a bit further for the Z30, you can always try to get a used one if you can't get one via your carrier.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 02:30 PM