Hey guys and gals,

I'm still pretty new to the BB scene, and unfortunately I'm already experiencing a problem.

My Z/7 Key on my Blackberry Curve has started acting up and so while I type and apply pressure with my fingers that are consistently equal to all the buttons, often times when I hit z/7 it won't register even though the button has made the 'click' sound.

I'm wondering if maybe some dust or something has gotten under it and is preventing the button from making a full connection? If I press just a LITTLE harder it works. It seems small but with being such a new item and the amount it cost me on a tight budget, its rather frustrating.

If anyone knows a remedy for this if there is one, that'd be great... But if not, I was debating on just bringing it back to a Bell store. But I'm worried since its been only a week over a month that they'll send it away for repairs for an extended period of time, OR they'll try and give me a refurb. I did some looking up on this, and apparently that is sometimes the case.

So any insight on this issue would be very much appreciated!

Cheers.
    07-17-10 09:18 PM
    Any fix you do on your own will require you to take the housing off the phone and
    that will almost certainly void your warranty.

I'd have it exchanged. As to the device you get as a replacement it is quite possible
    you may get a refurb unit. This really is not as big a concern as people think. Refurbs
    are fully tested, given entirely new housings and screens where necessary. I have
    had several refurbs and two of them (8100 and 8310) are in use to this day (not
    by me though.)
    07-17-10 09:25 PM
    Thanks for such a quick reply.

And, I'm in Canada with Bell as my provider, is it as simple as walking in and just handing them mine and having one handed back that I could look over and test myself? (I know that sounds picky, but I'm just critical like that) Or do I have to wait for one to come in via mail? Haha, God I know nothing about this stuff...
    07-17-10 09:30 PM
    I can't begin to tell you how Canadian carriers handle the issue, but hey, it's worth
    a shot. Best they can do is replace it on the spot (speak very nicely to them ),
    worse thing is you'll have to wait 2-3 days.
    07-17-10 09:55 PM
    Thank you very much! I'll go speak to someone on Monday. You've made me a little less hesitant about getting a refurb which with a NEW phone is kind of worrisome. As it seems like you're getting an 'older' one.
    07-17-10 10:09 PM
    Good deal! Keep us posted. And, honestly, there are so many posts here from
    people who got refurbs and in some cases found them better than a new device.
    If I wasn't confident about this I'd never recommend it.

Oh and I forgot my manners, Welcome to Crackberry.com. Glad to have you
    07-17-10 10:19 PM
    Sometimes refurbs work better than NIB items. They retest them and spend extra time with them. It's not mass production so they make sure everything works as intended. I have heard some horror stories about refurbs, but the ones I have gotten have always been great. My Moto Droid is a refurb and it is better than my original.

Good luck to you with whatever you get. Welcome to CrackBerry!
    07-17-10 10:24 PM
    I've had a few replacements over the years and to be honest, I couldn't tell if they were new or refurbs. All of them have worked fine so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-10 11:18 PM
    AFAIK, Bell will rent you a replacement until your unit is fixed.
    07-17-10 11:33 PM
    Rent? WOW!!
    07-17-10 11:35 PM
    You will be fine don't worry I have had a lot of refurbs and they are good.
    07-18-10 12:06 AM
    Rent? WOW!!
    It's like a $25 fee for the replacement phone. They do it for 2 reasons, 1) so tht you don't lose your PIN if possible and, most important, 2) because too many people were abusing the warranty return by claiming a phone was not working when all it had was a small scratch or 2.
    07-18-10 04:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD