If we can have a choice to pick from many car companies like lexus Toyota Honda Jeep Cadillac Mini Hyundia etc etc the list goes on then why can't it go the same for Smartphones. If developers opened up more, than we can have a huge fight for the top instead of only 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th. Developers are what kill smartphone companies.
    They have to be the smartest yet dumbest people I know well not necessarily the developer but the people who control them. Like Netflix (We first want to see how well it sells before we decide to make an app for it) seriously??? that is like Cadillac making the new car and saying "we want to see how it sells before we put an engine in it" Ummm if it doesn't have the apps people use daily please tell me who is actually going to buy it??? I swear if companies don't realize by now an app is what makes a smartphone sell then they need to step aside.
    If I were a developer u dam straight I would want my app to be known and have it on every OS to obviously get it out to as many people and have a chance to make the most amount of profit I possible can
    I think marketing and media is another issue but developers take this one
    In my opinion

Sent from the Amazing Z10
    09-26-13 07:22 PM
    Your Cadillac analogy doesn't hold - that's like BlackBerry saying "We want to see how well it sells before we put a CPU in it." Developers have finite resources; if they can only employ enough people to support two ecosystems, they will only target the two with the largest user bases. Let's say, for example, to support a new ecosystem, they need three new developers. Pay them $40,000 a year (which is close to peanuts), and that's $120,000 a year for salary alone. If they don't expect to recover that amount in app sales, it makes no sense to support a third ecosystem.

Going back to the vehicle analogy, Muth makes signal mirrors for many vehicle makes. Pretty much every Ford and Chevy is supported, but it makes no sense for them to support low-volume vehicles. Therefore, you won't find a Muth signal mirror for a vehicle such as the Suzuki Swift.

That being said, I do believe it makes business sense for several big developers to support the BlackBerry 10 platform. This is especially true for those who already have working Android ports but are not officially in BlackBerry World.
    Jonathank likes this.
    09-26-13 07:31 PM
    The phone ecosystem can have MANY different OS'S and be successful
    No. It can't. The mobile ecosystem is not like a car company.
    09-26-13 07:50 PM
    Thanks for that reply... Kinda makes sense now that I think about it but. Ok so but let's not compare engines but the radio or CD player. Not necessarily running the car but make worth driving it. What if your biggest radio fan happened to like a car with no radio? Wouldn't you still want to keep your listener and try to give him what he wants instead of having to change him? That's an unhappy customer.

If Apple is trying to take it to China and pretty much dominant the "world" wouldn't you think the developers/compaines should think the same and gain/keep their clients Example Netflix.

Apps that don't cost money Example Chase, Bank Of America the app doesn't necessarily mean money maker to the company but to keep customers happy the cost for developers will eventually pay off because you have happy customers.

CNN why wouldn't they think that 60 million potential customers are out there. I have friends all over the world over 10 countries they all get CNN. I think the guys who have the money to pay a developer Big names like CNN Banks and Netflix should be let go because they don't understand the market. It makes people choose

I don't use Netflix anymore I made a choice either stick to something I use hourly (BlackBerry) and give up a program I watch (Netflix) weekly, wasn't that hard. So my case and my case only which is probably the minority they lost an existing customer because I had a choice to make. Having a customer choose on something they don't like is the worst type.

Thanks for the reply

Sent from the Amazing Z10
    09-26-13 08:07 PM
    Jonathan just stop yourself now
    09-26-13 08:19 PM
    The computer world, a far better analogy, has two major players. You have Windows and you have Mac OS X. There used to be things like OS/2 and there are still niche operating systems like Linux (which itself encompasses many, many different distributions) but on the user side of things it has boiled down to the big two because software compatibility is essential.
    09-26-13 08:27 PM
    What if your biggest radio fan happened to like a car with no radio? Wouldn't you still want to keep your listener and try to give him what he wants instead of having to change him? That's an unhappy customer.
    What if I decided I want to be different and drive a car with only shortwave radio, when everyone else is using AM and FM. Is my favorite radio station supposed to build a shortwave transmitter for me when everyone else is happy to use AM and FM?

Apps that don't cost money Example Chase, Bank Of America the app doesn't necessarily mean money maker to the company but to keep customers happy the cost for developers will eventually pay off because you have happy customers.
    It depends on the bank. Where I work less than 1% of our current customers have ever logged into our mobile site with a BB10 browser. It's not at all cost effective to build and maintain a custom app for such a small number of people. If we were a Canadian bank, then of course those numbers might be quite different.

CNN why wouldn't they think that 60 million potential customers are out there.
    The vast majority of those 60 million people are not running BB10. They are running BB6 and BB7, which is a completely different OS with different tools, different programming languages, etc.
    09-26-13 08:29 PM