Okay. So I've never owned a device(phone) with a screen bigger then 3.5 inches. Am I biased??? NO!

Phablets are dead. Why do I saw this? Because I'm a concept guy (whatever that means)

To me phablets are dead because........ because... they are our new phones.

Why would I call my 5" phone a phablet? Its my phone! What the hell is a phablet anyways?

So again, I've never owned a phone bigger than 3.5, but now that I look at my 3.5 inch phone I'm getting mad at it. Why is it soooo small. Small used to be cool. Whoevers phone was smaller or slimmer was cooler. But lets get real. Whats more functional? Why not have a bigger phone? Why has Samsung done so well? Are these large devices an aberation? Heck no! They are the new norm!

It may not seem like it now to some. But just take a trip to S. Korea, a country on the leading edge of tech. Its weird if you don't have a 'phablet'. You'll see a girlfriend and boyfriend sitting next to eachother and the the girlfriend will have the bigger device. I'm honestly thinking one of the barriers to bigger devices is the size of the pockets we have.

So phablets as in the concept of phablets as tweeners is done. Some people just want a bigger devices. Eventually most people will. 3.5 and below is the new niche market (I still wish I never lost my 9900, physical keypad was amazing, I may need to buy another or a Q10 depending on how I like the Z10 virtual), Still a big market though but 4"+ is where things are going. I can't wait to get a device with a screen bigger than 4.0"
    bekkay likes this.
    04-25-13 12:43 AM
    Portability definitely becomes an issue, though.

I'm finding that I really like having a phone with a decent HD (or near-HD) screen, and a tablet for reading.
    04-25-13 01:29 AM
    The galaxy note has sold millions, still selling well, so, nope.
    04-25-13 02:09 AM
    Nah he is saying Phablet are becoming the new norm this becoming phones.
    Basically he is saying the name Phablet is dead, not the actual devices

Posted via CB10
    bekkay likes this.
    04-25-13 02:31 AM
    Phablets can't die, once the big phones starts to become a normal size phone 5", they'll create bigger phones to surpass it. Maybe, eventually everyone will just be using a tablet in the future haha

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 09:14 AM
    Folks still look silly holding one to their ear.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    04-25-13 09:27 AM
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Not slagging any form factor here. For me the 5" device simply doesn't work.

Posted via CB10
    I love the form factor of my Z10. My hubby loves his Note. But he has poor eyesight so the bigger screen works better.

I can't help but laugh every time he holds it up to his ear for an actual call. Looks like those guys back in the 80's. Lol. But in all honesty, he doesn't get a lot of calls so it's not a big deal to him. I use my phone for more calls so it would bother me.

Posted via CB10
    Was never a huge fan of the "phablet" name . Just call it what it is...a big phone lol
    04-25-13 09:40 AM
    It may not seem like it now to some. But just take a trip to S. Korea, a country on the leading edge of tech. Its weird if you don't have a 'phablet'. You'll see a girlfriend and boyfriend sitting next to eachother and the the girlfriend will have the bigger device. I'm honestly thinking one of the barriers to bigger devices is the size of the pockets we have.
    Which is an interesting turn-about: When I was stationed there in 2000, Koreans were all about the smallest possible cell phones. I recall seeing young teens wearing two to three tiny cell phones around their necks like necklaces - the smaller, the better.

My wife did give up her iPhone 4s for a new Galaxy Note II, and she seems to like it quite a bit.

This is reportedly the chip for the next phone in the Note line.
    podes2204 and Rello like this.
    04-25-13 09:47 AM
    just,,, that,,, word, makes me cringe,,, ,,, & as for bigger, wait 'til you see that new asus (if this wasn't idroid, i'd be all over it),,, ASUS - PadFone ,,, once again, BB gets beat to the punch,,, & then there's this,,, ViewPad 7 - 7" PAD, Android-US1 MSM7227 US Band-125 512MB/ Nand Flash 512MB/ Polymer/ 10W/bg/3G/BT/GPS/3.0M/Touch, Black ,,, i've been saying they need to bring FULL phone functionality to the playbook, hardware's already there...
    04-25-13 10:23 AM
    The OP better contact BB and let them know..... many indications then new Arista may be classified as a Phablet....
    04-25-13 01:57 PM
    Which is an interesting turn-about: When I was stationed there in 2000, Koreans were all about the smallest possible cell phones. I recall seeing young teens wearing two to three tiny cell phones around their necks like necklaces - the smaller, the better.

My wife did give up her iPhone 4s for a new Galaxy Note II, and she seems to like it quite a bit.

This is reportedly the chip for the next phone in the Note line.
    04-25-13 02:04 PM
    I have never once called my Note 2 a "phablet."

I wonder how many people here commenting on how silly we look holding it to our ears and what not has actually used one for a short while.

It has spoiled me and don't think I can ever go smaller than what I have now.

Love the bigger screen for reading, writing, watching movies. I use it as a GPS a lot and people stare at me when I get out the car and take it out of the iOttie holder, lol!

As far as talking, I don't see the big deal. It is hardly any heavier than my s3 and if I get lazy, just switch on the awesome speaker and go that route or use my bluetooth headphone.

It's not as big a deal as people on BlackBerry make it seem. It is actually becoming quite the norm of 5" and up.

Probably a cycle and eventually be just using these smart watches for everything, lol!

Fancy pants Note ||:-)
    04-25-13 03:24 PM
    I guess "tablone" was a no go?
    bekkay likes this.
    04-25-13 03:35 PM
    I want a minitablet dumbscreen to read from, and I want it connected to my BB10.
    04-25-13 04:07 PM
    I hate the term "phablet" too...

But, if anyone had told me that I'd carry a 4+" phone just a few years ago, I would have called them crazy. I also remember thinking that having a converged phone and PDA was non-optimal.

Point is, phablets might already be on the way to being the new normal. Just did a review on this item that can actually be used to make calls from BT-enabled tablets set up for VOIP: ::: Innovative Smartphone Accessories :::. I guess any BT headset would work.

As for "looking silly" there was a time people made fun of anything bigger than the 83XX series as "too big." Ha.
    04-25-13 04:14 PM
    Maybe you should have read the post...

But I agree. Times are changing. The term "phablet" seems to have come up quick and will go away quick. Soon the phablets will just be regular sized phones. That is where it's at.
    04-25-13 07:06 PM
    The 'phablets' are cool, but impractical. When I got my Z10, I played with the Galaxy Note (with no intention of buying, I might ad) and it is kind of cool, however, I work in Real Estate and my phone must be with me at all times. I couldn't imagine stuffing something that large in one of my pockets.
    04-25-13 08:18 PM
    How do you fit a phablet into your pocket?

This is not a joke. I want to know how people carry these things with them.

I guess cargo pants will be trendy again.

Posted via CB10
    KaterinaM likes this.
    04-25-13 09:32 PM
    If Zach Morris could look cool with a big phone, then so could others in today's society. Yes, I just dated myself.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 10:13 PM
    Maybe you should have read the post....
    ...and maybe the OP should have read the helpful "how to compose topic titles" tutorial, because his title could have read "the term 'phablets' is outdated" or something more descriptive of what he was trying to say.

Big phones are funny to people who should be laughed at... that is, people who don't know that the bigger devices are the 'premium' devices, not the ones that are cheap and not yet miniaturized... this isn't 1983, so people who equate smaller size with 'better' or 'more advanced' are, well, stuck in 1983.
    04-25-13 10:20 PM
    How do you fit a phablet into your pocket?

This is not a joke. I want to know how people carry these things with them.

I guess cargo pants will be trendy again.

Posted via CB10
    Girls don't have such a problem )))
    bekkay likes this.
    04-26-13 05:38 AM
    Girls don't have such a problem )))
    Girls have bigger pockets??

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 05:45 AM
    ...and maybe the OP should have read the helpful "how to compose topic titles" tutorial, because his title could have read "the term 'phablets' is outdated" or something more descriptive of what he was trying to say.

Big phones are funny to people who should be laughed at... that is, people who don't know that the bigger devices are the 'premium' devices, not the ones that are cheap and not yet miniaturized... this isn't 1983, so people who equate smaller size with 'better' or 'more advanced' are, well, stuck in 1983.
    No I like the title. It drags you in and leaves you hanging if you don't read the post. The title forces you to read the post (in a good way)
    04-26-13 10:10 AM
30 12