I am a huge Skype user. Half of my family lives abroad and so I use Skype daily.

What if we create a petition and sign it from as many people as possible and present it to RIM...?

It doesn't harm if we can get couple of thousands signatures. I know that we may not get Skype tomorrow on our Blackberries (for non VRZ users). I just don't think it's fair that Skype and/or RIM would single out a complete platform while allowing two others to use Skype for free!

Any thoughts... open for debate.

P.s. I really hope this thread doesn't yield to the Blackberry vs. iPhone vs. Android. Please maintain on topic. And please refrain from "if you want Skype, get an iPhone or Android" -- I am a Blackberry fanboy at heart and that will never change.
    05-05-11 03:34 PM
    While I do agree with you that Skype should be made available to other users, historically, petitions have never been an effective means to facilitate change. Not trying to beat down your idea. Hope it works for you.
    05-05-11 03:40 PM
    I agree an Online Petition will have little influence, what would better serve your cause is a mass email campaign, in addition to a few actual letters to corporate.

possibly a website/facebook group for people to join and share their replies from Skype,

also a LOUD call to competitors to work on a solution for Blackberry if Skype does not step up to the plate so that you can stop using skype all together with your friends and family.
    05-05-11 04:01 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/t-skype-611982/

Sounds like if skype and verizon have signed an agreement your beef would be with them, and not RIM ... I'm sure a similal app exsists

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-11 04:06 PM
    Skype for Blackberry | Facebook

If anyone wants to help setup the page, please go ahead.
    05-05-11 04:28 PM
    Having skype would be good, and I think it will come eventually.
    05-05-11 04:30 PM
    I am a huge Skype user. Half of my family lives abroad and so I use Skype daily.

What if we create a petition and sign it from as many people as possible and present it to RIM...?

It doesn't harm if we can get couple of thousands signatures. I know that we may not get Skype tomorrow on our Blackberries (for non VRZ users). I just don't think it's fair that Skype and/or RIM would single out a complete platform while allowing two others to use Skype for free!

Any thoughts... open for debate.

P.s. I really hope this thread doesn't yield to the Blackberry vs. iPhone vs. Android. Please maintain on topic. And please refrain from "if you want Skype, get an iPhone or Android" -- I am a Blackberry fanboy at heart and that will never change.
    You realize that this issue doesn't have anything to do with RIM, right??

As others have noted, Skype and Verizon signed an exclusive agreement.

Verizon PAID for the privilege. Most likely way more money than ALL of us combined.

If you want to complain to someone, complain to Skype. But it's about money, so your complaint will likely fall on deaf ears.

But good luck.
    05-05-11 05:14 PM
    Knowing it's gonna take a real long time to see skype on my device, I'd love to see this app as well. Buncha weirdo's at skype, but I get it.
    05-05-11 05:45 PM
    I agree an Online Petition will have little influence, what would better serve your cause is a mass email campaign, in addition to a few actual letters to corporate.

possibly a website/facebook group for people to join and share their replies from Skype,

also a LOUD call to competitors to work on a solution for Blackberry if Skype does not step up to the plate so that you can stop using skype all together with your friends and family.
    People have already done this.

Did you see the Skype forums around the time when they Verizon deal was launched and after more people started getting smartphones and realized Skype wasn't releasing apps on other carriers/platforms and/or crippling those other apps?

Their forums blew up.

And even with tons of people there threatening to cancel/leave/etc. they didn't do anything.

They're only moving now because there are a ton of other startups sort of threatening them in the consumer market (Fring, Nimbuzz, etc.).

This is what happens when corporations get powerful.
    05-05-11 07:25 PM
    be great to have a free skype app theres that im+messenger but iam not poying its either 30-40 dollers for it sod that skype mobile is avilible for a few handsets via the skype website but only for the top of the range handsets i only have a 9300 3g so will prob have a long time to wait like fingers crossed rim pull there finger out soon
    05-06-11 03:36 AM
    hope it comes to BlackBerry. Skype in iPhone works preety good.
    05-06-11 07:13 AM
    I bumped into this this morning, maybe it will shake things up? Analysis: Skype, better with Facebook than Google? - baltimoresun.com
    05-06-11 07:15 AM
    People have already done this.

Did you see the Skype forums around the time when they Verizon deal was launched and after more people started getting smartphones and realized Skype wasn't releasing apps on other carriers/platforms and/or crippling those other apps?

Their forums blew up.

And even with tons of people there threatening to cancel/leave/etc. they didn't do anything.

They're only moving now because there are a ton of other startups sort of threatening them in the consumer market (Fring, Nimbuzz, etc.).

This is what happens when corporations get powerful.
    Do you have a link to the email writing campaign? and what the responses from Skype where?

There is a big difference between an email campaign and a forum flood,
    05-06-11 07:30 AM
    Hi, I am organizing a mass email campaign, that on February 1st, we will all email the Skype CEO and the Skype Vice President, with the subject line "Skype for the Blackberry Playbook". Here is the link to the thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...itment-691875/

Please leave your negativity at the door. Post on the thread if you intend to take part, and feel free to read the longer explanation and use the basic email provided rather than composing your own, if that is easier for you. Only post if you're with us, we do not need any posts telling us it is a moronic endeavor.

Please know that I am not attempting to spam, but only posting on threads where it seems appropriate, and like the users monitoring said thread may be interested.
    BearSnout likes this.
    01-25-12 09:21 PM
    i have a strong gut feeling that skype will only acknowledge the need once front facing cameras are available on blackberry phones.
    01-26-12 04:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD