I flat out don't believe it takes 2+ months to test a 'minor' release. I think AT&T are dragging their heels.

One of the responses I got from them was that they "perform rigorous testing to ensure the updates are intercompatible with our software elements". If they didn't put so much Damn bloatware and apps we don't need on there then maybe it would go a bit faster!

And let's not forget that Apple managed to announce and release an entire major OS update in the meantime. Yes, Apple release direct to the device and bypass the carriers, but that just supports my point - why can BlackBerry not do this? I'm sure they would love to, if only AT&T would let them. It's favoritism, plain and simple. Probably greased along by 'bonuses' and other incentives...

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 08:54 AM
    I can't believe people STILL complain about this.

US carriers have ALWAYS tested firmware/OS released independently before releasing them. Apple was in a very unique position of being a "must have" item when the iPhone was launched, and was able to negotiate (aka demand) the ability to do direct updates. Verizon actually passed on the iPhone, and that's one of the reasons why: they didn't want to allow Apple to do direct updates. AT&T agreed to allow it, and the iPhone was such a success that other US carriers were forced to agree to the same policy in order to get the iPhone, even Verizon.

NO ONE ELSE had that kind of leverage at their launch, so no other company was able to negotiate direct updates. Not Google, not Samsung, not Microsoft, and not BlackBerry. They all have to wait for carrier testing before their updates get pushed. That's a contractual requirement between the manufacturers and the carriers. And, no, the Nexus phones don't really count, because they are sold direct and unlocked. Note that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus still has to wait on Big Red for updates, which is why there will never be another CDMA Nexus.

Now, if you had a complaint, it might be that BB's updates are likely given a lower priority on the testing schedule than, say, updates for the S4 or HTC One or LG G2. I don't know that for sure, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was true. To be fair, the S4 has many millions of users on each carrier, and I doubt there is any US carrier that has even 1M BB10 devices active. Those who get the sales get the update priority.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-18-13 03:54 PM
27 12