I met some friends and ended up with discussion about blackberry. It started because they found I switch to BlackBerry device .
    I'm surprised that some people don't know that BlackBerry has released blackberry 10 OS. They thought blackberry is blackberry. Laggy phone, stuff like that. They never knew that something different with new OS. They didn't even know that they don't need to subscribe for BlackBerry service like the previous OS (most people in my country does not like subscription since most use prepaid card and subscription fee is more expensive than regular internet).

One weird question is when they ask "do they have play store?" and even when they see my windows phone (I use it as my mp3 player) they ask about "does it have playstore?".
    Other thing is "is that dual-core processor?" so I told them that my blackberry performs better than the same spec android. I even told them "how many cores do you think iPhone processor?".
    I'm thinking that people really brainwashed with Google stuff and the spec stuff.

After long story talking about phones (long story to write), the gist is that people don't know about blackberry and people keep asking popular apps.

Now I'm thinking if blackberry ever really want to educate people or put an advertisement about their product.

Sometimes I don't understand such a good OS doesn't get huge attention.

That's my share.

Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 03:49 PM
    We're pretty much past that point now. BB10 has been out for a few years and unless it's corporate issued don't expect people's knowledge of it to change.
    04-18-15 04:52 PM
    This is new and interesting.
    04-18-15 04:56 PM
    BlackBerry did a horrible job at the launch of BB10. They were still in that delusional anything with the name BlackBerry will sell mentality from 2008 and did nothing to try to differentiate the product from BBOS or advertise. They thought they would sell themselves. They were wrong and then a whole series of things happened that now makes it difficult for them to advertise. They've gone through so many different target customers and angles now that I don't even think they can keep it straight.

Posted via CB10
    daniel337 likes this.
    04-18-15 05:14 PM
    Now I'm thinking if blackberry ever really want to educate people or put an advertisement about their product.
    Back when the Z10 came out, the television around here (eastern US) was saturated with Z10 ads. But they never pointed out that BB10 was all new, they just kept repeating the "Keep moving" tag line, which always reminded me of the cliche of police saying, "Keep moving, nothing to see here..." to keep bystanders from lingering.

They had another chance with the Superbowl commercial, but all that basically did was go on about all the things a Z10 couldn't do.

Without apps, I doubt the outcome would have been different even with an effective and educational marketing campaign. But I always wondered What Might Have Been had they run something more like:
    daniel337 likes this.
    04-18-15 05:15 PM
    BlackBerry did a horrible job at the launch of BB10. They were still in that delusional anything with the name BlackBerry will sell mentality from 2008 and did nothing to try to differentiate the product from BBOS or advertise. They thought they would sell themselves. They were wrong and then a whole series of things happened that now makes it difficult for them to advertise. They've gone through so many different target customers and angles now that I don't even think they can keep it straight.

Posted via CB10
    Well the launch did have Thor doing a backwards countdown counting to 10 LOL. The phones look like miniature toys in Thors giant hands. Why someone didn't at least catch that and say "Ok Thor we can't have you holding any of these things because you dwarf them" is beyond me.

lovedaazn likes this.
    04-18-15 05:40 PM
    In Indonesia, where blackberry was a king here. All I can see is ads from Samsung, Asus, and another brand. Never see any blackberry ads.

In case of samsung ads, it also endorsed celebrities at Samsung Edge launch and put it on TV.

I remember in the past in Indonesia where 9 of 10 cellphone sold are blackberry device.

The way to sell blackberry device in Indonesia is just emphasize the word "it runs android apps". People will buy. And of course blackberry needs to do is put populars app as native apps and keep them updated (I don't know how, Microsoft did homework well).

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 12:13 AM
    My friend just told me she's dumping Android for BlackBerry. Just coz BlackBerry is the only brand with PKB.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 05:26 AM
    The lack of any advertising has crushed the once iconic brand here in the USA. I am almost 60 and try and ask any young person here about Blackberry and see what response you get???

Even once diehards like some of my major business clients who once embraced the brand have moved on the either Android or IOS. This has even forced myself to now carry a iPhone 6+ as my daily driver.

As much as I love OS10 and it's great features, the lack of support from my carrier and Blackberry itself for us long time users in the USA has forced me and a lot of my clients to do so.

If and when my carrier T Mobile and some of my clients decide to give the brand another chance, I will jump right back in a flash. But, based on what I have seen here lately, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    daniel337 and andy275 like this.
    04-19-15 05:30 AM
    Well the launch did have Thor doing a backwards countdown counting to 10 LOL. The phones look like miniature toys in Thors giant hands. Why someone didn't at least catch that and say "Ok Thor we can't have you holding any of these things because you dwarf them" is beyond me.

Wow, I forgot how tiny they look in his hands LOL.
    04-19-15 06:58 AM
    Advertisement is causing much damage to BlackBerry. Still young generation has perception that blackberry is only for business people and doesn't offer any new stuff.
    BB10 hasn't been popularised among Gen X, Y & Z and this group should be told that BB10 is as good as any android phone.

Dr Prithvi Z30 10.3.2.500 thru CB10
    daniel337 likes this.
    04-19-15 07:24 AM
    In Indonesia, where blackberry was a king here. All I can see is ads from Samsung, Asus, and another brand. Never see any blackberry ads.

In case of samsung ads, it also endorsed celebrities at Samsung Edge launch and put it on TV.

I remember in the past in Indonesia where 9 of 10 cellphone sold are blackberry device.

The way to sell blackberry device in Indonesia is just emphasize the word "it runs android apps". People will buy. And of course blackberry needs to do is put populars app as native apps and keep them updated (I don't know how, Microsoft did homework well).

Posted via CB10
    Very true.

But pushing "it runs android apps" is really matter, sounds like ecosystem that couldn't stand with their own feet. Just guess what Indonesian people will think, why should I buy phone that can run android apps (and without even know the apps will run or not?) while I could get full google service (not only apps) by buying android (with cheaper price)? That's why they should take more care on their app store like microsoft's doing, better than hijacking another ecosystem's apps.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    04-19-15 07:49 AM
    The problem in advanced consumer cultures is that the vast majority of consumers are ignorant. Not ignorant for not choosing BlackBerry, but ignorant because they're told they need something, and they buy it uncritically. If we just look at smartphones, 90% of smartphone owners probably don't know 90% of the things their phone can do, and frankly it's not the job of advertisers to tell them. Their job is not to inform, but to make people want the damn thing. People are conditioned as such, and they willingly comply by refusing to educate themselves despite the unlimited world of knowledge available at their fingertips through their smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 08:03 AM
    Blackberry will never reach its former status by advertising phone features. This because the days of 'buy my phone cause it does this" are over. Anything your phone does well will be useless within 12 months as you'll have 20 phones on the market that will do just the same thing if not better.

Apple focused their marketing on creating a culture and a vision, not advertising OS features. They created a brand and a culture around the brand to the point where they have one of the most loyal fan-bases of any company in the world. This is why people (stupidly) line up for days to grab a piece of tech that wihtin a week of launch will be sold all over the place.

Somewhere in the past years, Blackberry lost their vision and their culture collapsed around them. When you have a display with 15 phones and are asked to choose one, some of us may say "oooh BB10!!!!!!, I'm in". But 99.9% of the rest of the world doesn't care about OS versions. They care about identifying a like-minded culture and choosing to be part of it.
    Last edited by A_Aviator_A; 04-19-15 at 08:35 AM.
    04-19-15 08:16 AM
    But 99.9% of the rest of the world doesn't care about OS versions. They care about identifying a like-minded culture and choosing to be part of it.
    Sad, but true...
    04-19-15 08:35 AM
    Advertisement is causing much damage to BlackBerry. Still young generation has perception that blackberry is only for business people and doesn't offer any new stuff.
    BB10 hasn't been popularised among Gen X, Y & Z and this group should be told that BB10 is as good as any android phone.

Dr Prithvi Z30 10.3.2.500 thru CB10
    After almost 2 years on a Z10, my teen got the LG G3. Not even a month and she is already having problems. It is forcing a software update which she doesn't want to do due to the reports of problems with the LG. After awhile it seems she will be forced to make an update. Now her phone is freezing, texts are garbled and it says it is updated but is not. Re booting etc won't work. A factory reset is recommended. If troubleshooting doesn't work today, back to the carrier we go. It is a really nice phone with lots of custom features that teens like. But it has to work as a PHONE first and foremost. I think she is beginning to understand the differences between BlackBerry and Android.

Posted via Classic
    04-19-15 08:48 AM
    Blackberry will never reach its former status by advertising phone features. This because the days of 'buy my phone cause it does this" are over. Anything your phone does well will be useless within 12 months as you'll have 20 phones on the market that will do just the same thing if not better.

Apple focused their marketing on creating a culture and a vision, not advertising OS features. They created a brand and a culture around the brand to the point where they have one of the most loyal fan-bases of any company in the world. This is why people (stupidly) line up for days to grab a piece of tech that wihtin a week of launch will be sold all over the place.

Somewhere in the past years, Blackberry lost their vision and their culture collapsed around them. When you have a display with 15 phones and are asked to choose one, some of us may say "oooh BB10!!!!!!, I'm in". But 99.9% of the rest of the world doesn't care about OS versions. They care about identifying a like-minded culture and choosing to be part of it.
    I kind of agree and disagree. Apple did that and built a huge following that now helps them sell the phones. But if you look at the ads now, they are all almost all 30 seconds showing the devices in actual use and doing for a wide range of customers. People want a $600+ investment to be able to do as much as possible, even if they won't use it for much of that. It's knowing that it can. BlackBerry spent a few million on a ridiculous commercial to show what the phone can't do and expected the public to run to the device, which wasn't even available at the time. Most people still don't realize that BB10 is different. If BlackBerry really wanted to sell hardware, they should rebrand, advertise the differentiation from BBOS, and build some top line devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 08:58 AM
    The issue is way past lack of advertising by now. My roommates know that I'm a huge BB fan. I sold my IP6 last year because I hated it and have been talking about getting the white Classic for a few months now. I was gushing over the news about BB and TMo entering into a new partnership when my roommate who helped me sell my IP said that she hates that I like BB because they're lame. Then her other friend, who has some cheap entry-level droid, said

"Why would you want a BB, don't they suck?"

Neither of the ladies knew that BlackBerry was still operating until I said or, let alone know that they're using BB10. Once you've become a laughing stock or "old news" in the public eye, it's dang near impossible to change that perception. I'm afraid that no amount of marketing will change this, so BB will have to hold on to what little they have and ramp up their software business.
    05-11-15 08:57 PM
    The issue is way past lack of advertising by now. My roommates know that I'm a huge BB fan. I sold my IP6 last year because I hated it and have been talking about getting the white Classic for a few months now. I was gushing over the news about BB and TMo entering into a new partnership when my roommate who helped me sell my IP said that she hates that I like BB because they're lame. Then her other friend, who has some cheap entry-level droid, said

"Why would you want a BB, don't they suck?"

Neither of the ladies knew that BlackBerry was still operating until I said or, let alone know that they're using BB10. Once you've become a laughing stock or "old news" in the public eye, it's dang near impossible to change that perception. I'm afraid that no amount of marketing will change this, so BB will have to hold on to what little they have and ramp up their software business.
    Looks like a dead-end. Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 09:53 AM
    It is really wrong to stomp the app issue. Well I discuss BlackBerry not only in BlackBerry related forums. I know quite a bunch of people on Androids. And while they agree that BLEND, HUB etc. And connectivity on BlackBerry is second to none, then again "apps" surface at the end. Ok,working people. Let aside games. All major apps necessary to keep you going are there. In abundance. Then remember in android apps running on 10.3.1 and you lose count. Unless of course you need running 13 different let's say You tube apps at a time for example. Then the most interesting comes in: majority of those relying on apps androidists using... 5 to 10 apps during working week! And all those are corresponding apps on BlackBerry. Then there are even largest army of people using their budget android to the extent of low quality pics, some social and basic phone function. Then... upgrade comes in. And they run to buy another budget handset with... LOTS OF APPS because current device's brain could not keep up! And yes. Now quick reminder : 1. HUB 2. BLEND 3. CONNECTIVITY 4. CUSTOMISATION etc.

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto likes this.
    05-13-15 10:06 AM
    The problem in advanced consumer cultures is that the vast majority of consumers are ignorant. Not ignorant for not choosing BlackBerry, but ignorant because they're told they need something, and they buy it uncritically. If we just look at smartphones, 90% of smartphone owners probably don't know 90% of the things their phone can do, and frankly it's not the job of advertisers to tell them. Their job is not to inform, but to make people want the damn thing. People are conditioned as such, and they willingly comply by refusing to educate themselves despite the unlimited world of knowledge available at their fingertips through their smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    Please provide a source for your "statistics." Without hard facts behind them, they sound like nothing more than generalizations. Bad ones, at that.
    05-14-15 03:46 AM
    Well the launch did have Thor doing a backwards countdown counting to 10 LOL.
    That was lame. I now see how Heins resembled a high school science teacher.
    05-14-15 05:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think Ads have persuasion effect on first time buyers. Still, there are a lot more resources now for first time buyers to research a product on YouTube, Google and Trade magazines. Your comment on vast majority of consumers being ignorant though does not hold water because many people continue to buy Android and IPhones for their next phone. They know the platform or brand already so a lot will continue to buy them. BlackBerry users do the same thing by buying something they are comfortable with (PKB HUB, etc) so why are other platform users any different?And there are hundreds of millions of consumers that are on their nth phone. To say they are ignorant doesn't sound right to me for non first time smartphone buyers anyway.
    05-14-15 05:20 AM