Why doesn't BlackBerry bring peek/flow to their Android phones?

I was using my Windows 8.1 tablet (8") in portrait mode to do some reading the other day. I tried swiping up to glance at some emails, but of course that just brought up a silly in-app menu. My Z30 is my daily phone and swiping up is such an instinctive act for me now.

Seems silly BlackBerry doesn't bring this to their Alcatel/Android offerings.
    10-26-16 01:10 PM
    I agree. Peek n flow is my favourite gesture. They made a poor substitute on BB Priv for that function
    10-26-16 01:15 PM
    • Because Android is Android, not BB10, and only a handful of former BB10 users care enough to want it.
    • Because it would be very expensive not only to develop it in the first place, but to re-integrate it into every new build of Android. Since BB doesn't own or control Android, they can't just assume the existing code will work with the next version (for sure, it won't, and will have to be re-integrated).
    • It would also be "expensive" in terms of the time it took to release major OS updates. It's the same reason why Samsung, LG, HTC, and others take 5-6 months to roll out a new version after Google's initial release: they have to re-integrate their custom skin.
    • Because it would break functions in Android apps that expect those gestures to be available to the app rather than to the OS.

It should be noted that there have been several attempts at a primarily-gesture-navigation-based mobile OS, and they've all failed in the marketplace. While the gestures weren't necessarily the reason for the failure, they certainly didn't add enough value to help the OSs overcome their other issues, so the market is going to place very little financial value on gesture navigation - and since the COST of development and support is NOT small, it simply makes no financial sense for BB, who is trying to re-learn how to make a profit, which is something it hasn't done since about the time the BB10 project was started.
    JeepBB and johnny_bravo72 like this.
    10-26-16 05:38 PM

I was using my Windows 8.1 tablet (8") in portrait mode to do some reading the other day. I tried swiping up to glance at some emails, but of course that just brought up a silly in-app menu. My Z30 is my daily phone and swiping up is such an instinctive act for me now.

Doesn't Android already have this?

Swipe down to see the notification drawer. All your notifications in one place from any app.
    10-26-16 06:57 PM
    • Because Android is Android, not BB10, and only a handful of former BB10 users care enough to want it.
    • Because it would be very expensive not only to develop it in the first place, but to re-integrate it into every new build of Android. Since BB doesn't own or control Android, they can't just assume the existing code will work with the next version (for sure, it won't, and will have to be re-integrated).
    • It would also be "expensive" in terms of the time it took to release major OS updates. It's the same reason why Samsung, LG, HTC, and others take 5-6 months to roll out a new version after Google's initial release: they have to re-integrate their custom skin.
    • Because it would break functions in Android apps that expect those gestures to be available to the app rather than to the OS.

It should be noted that there have been several attempts at a primarily-gesture-navigation-based mobile OS, and they've all failed in the marketplace. While the gestures weren't necessarily the reason for the failure, they certainly didn't add enough value to help the OSs overcome their other issues, so the market is going to place very little financial value on gesture navigation - and since the COST of development and support is NOT small, it simply makes no financial sense for BB, who is trying to re-learn how to make a profit, which is something it hasn't done since about the time the BB10 project was started.
    Troy, how would you save the BB10 OS if you were CEO?
    10-26-16 07:22 PM
    Troy, how would you save the BB10 OS if you were CEO?
    Impossible.
    10-26-16 07:23 PM

You can use a couple of tricks to simulate it.

First, put a full page HUB widget on the farthest panel to the left.

Second, use the Productivity Tab to peek into the HUB, or your Calendar.
    10-26-16 07:24 PM
    [LIST][*]Because Android is Android, not BB10, and only a handful of former BB10 users care enough to want it.[*]Because it would be very expensive not only to develop it in the first place, but to re-integrate it into every new build of Android. Since BB doesn't own or control Android, they can't just assume the existing code will work with the next version (for sure, it won't, and will have to be re-integrated).
    If Android is as customizable as they say it is, then it shouldn't be hard to add this. There are plenty of variations of the stock launcher, this shouldn't be any different.

Doesn't Android already have this?

Swipe down to see the notification drawer. All your notifications in one place from any app.
    The swipe up is the center point of the navigation on BB10. Primary method of navigation should be at the bottom of the screen where your thumb can easily reach. Top of the screen is too far.
    10-26-16 07:26 PM
    Second, use the Productivity Tab to peek into the HUB, or your Calendar.
    Is this yet another irritating UI element cluttering up the screen, floating overtop of whatever app I have open?

That's the problem with Android - it's littered with buttons and widgets and other irritating UI elements that clutter things up because a simple, clean navigation paradigm was never considered from the outset.
    10-26-16 07:29 PM
    Is this yet another irritating UI element cluttering up the screen, floating overtop of whatever app I have open?

That's the problem with Android - it's littered with buttons and widgets and other irritating UI elements that clutter things up because a simple, clean navigation paradigm was never considered from the outset.
    One could argue that quickly floating over an open app is more efficient then having to swipe up and to the right while in an app to peak. As for the rest of the so called "clutter" and widgets. You don't have to use any at all and just use the pop up widgets.
    10-26-16 07:31 PM
    No, it's actually really good.

And widgets are fantastic for customising the home screens. Very slick.
    10-26-16 09:26 PM
    No, it's actually really good.
    Where does it launch from? Is it a static icon on the screen or a swipe gesture?
    10-27-16 12:48 AM
    I loved Peek and Flow.
    YesAndNo likes this.
    10-27-16 05:04 AM
    Where does it launch from? Is it a static icon on the screen or a swipe gesture?
    Swipe from the left or right edge of the screen.
    10-27-16 07:08 AM
    Swipe from the left or right edge of the screen.
    So how about we just make it a swipe up from the bottom edge and call it a day?
    10-27-16 10:44 AM

would it be possible to do via a launcher? or would you lose functionality as soon as entering an app?
    10-27-16 10:58 AM
    So how about we just make it a swipe up from the bottom edge and call it a day?
    Let me guess...way more productive?
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-27-16 11:24 AM
    Let me guess...way more productive?
    Could save you hours a day.
    10-27-16 04:28 PM
    would it be possible to do via a launcher? or would you lose functionality as soon as entering an app?
    That's exactly the issue: as soon as you entered the app, the launcher wouldn't function (in the way folks want).
    10-27-16 07:24 PM