Currently I have a Pearl 8130 and am now wishing I had the Curve 8330. I've had the pearl for almost 2 months now. I like it, it's my first BB. It seems too small though. I think I would like the full keypad better and the larger screen. Haven't really looked at them that closely yet though. I've seen the whole "Pearls are for girls" thread and I'm not concerned with what some think is a girly phone vs what is a manly phone. I'm not as concerned about looks. I would like to know what really is the difference between the two besides the screen size and keypad size. Are they both capable of doing the same things or does one have more features over the other. I would really like to hear from someone who has experienced both phones personally, but I welcome all opinions. I need help deciding if my kid gets a BB Pearl while I get a Curve or if I should just stay with the Pearl.

Thanks
    11-20-08 11:35 AM
    They are very similar devices aside from the major suretype/qwerty thing. The software on both can be updated to the same versions.

I had got the pearl last november when it came out for VZW. When the Curve came out, i wanted it. I got one for my best friend and had it set up on my account for a few days before giving it to her. (Call me greedy, but i wanted to test it. hehe.) I found that even though the pearl is "girly" so is a pink curve.

They really are very similar. I actually am very used to the suretype and can type faster on that now than with the qwerty! I also like the larger buttons for the Number Keys on the pearl.

The thing i liked most about the Curve was the screen... It is just larger and nicer when using the browser. The thing i like most about the Pearl is the size, it's really small and light in my pocket.

Otherwise i find them very very similar. So here is my advice...

If you HATE suretype and LOVE a bigger screen, go with the Curve.

If you LIKE suretype and LOVE a smaller device in your pocket, stick with the Pearl.
    11-20-08 11:47 AM
    the pearl is nice but for me its too normal, its too similar to a regular phone. once you get the curve you will understand what i am saying, alssoooo if your a texter the curve is a million times better its QWERTY not the pearls version of QWERTY ethier i dont like how you have to double click a button to spell.

i think once you get the curve you will most definitly fall in love, i mean check out this site almost everyone has the curve.. all blackberrys are amazing though.

give your kid the pearl and you upgrade to the big bad curve. =]

my opinion.
    and if you hate it you can come back and totally curse me out
    11-20-08 11:59 AM
    It depends. The pearl is smaller, and has suretype. it is good for people who do not mind using smaller devices to type, and who like suretype. It has less memory.

The Curve has the Qwerty keyboard. More memory. A bigger screen. It is a great device, and I really recommend it. I absolutely love my curve, but they are not for everyone. It really depends on the person.

I recommend testing out both, and picking the one that you prefer.
    11-20-08 12:04 PM
    For my first BB i chose the Pearl for its "like a phone" size, but once i hooked it up you see that its a helluva lot more than calling and SMS!

-guess its experience, but i'm fine with the Pearl. Holding a Curve feels like holding a microwave lol nah...

after seeing the difference in weight and just screen resolution on the Bold, (wow @ speedracer promo lol), Im pretty confident that the javelin or next curve is going to be my second BB...

then you'll see the bentley of 8130's on craigslist lol..
    Last edited by crispycutz; 11-20-08 at 01:56 PM.
    11-20-08 12:14 PM
    I started with the pearl and really loved the phone. After a week or so I decided that it was just too small for me and kinda hard to see the screen and wanted the full keyboard so I switched to the curve and it suits my needs much better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 12:20 PM
    I started with a Pearl as well, and the only reason why I got the Curve was due to Best Buy no longer carrying the Sprint Pearl at the time. After playing with the Curve for 5 mins, I would never go back to the Pearl, and it was the full QWERTY keyboard that really won me over. Don't get me wrong, I think the Pearl is an awesome device. I had it for almost a year and wouldn't have felt bad if they had the Pearls in stock to replace my defective unit.

It all boils down to personal preference. I feel the Curve makes better use of what Sprint offers than the Pearl did, so I will never go back to anything smaller than a Curve.

Good luck with your decision.
    11-20-08 01:13 PM
    Thanks for all the help so far. I think the biggest reason I am looking for a change is the larger screen and the keyboard. I often punch two buttons at a time when it try typing too fast on the pearl. I also don't want to be giving up anything if I do switch to a Curve. Not that I take full advantage of the pearl or anything yet, I'm still learning it.
    11-20-08 01:13 PM
    Switching to the Curve, the only thing you will be giving up is the small size of the Pearl and the location of the MicroSD card port, which is under the battery in the Curve. Other that that, the Curve does everything the Pearl does.
    11-20-08 01:22 PM
    I had a Pearl which I love, but when Sprint released the Curve, I liked it more because of the bigger screen. I just upgraded to a curve so now the test of which one I like better begins! Its only been 2 days but I think the Curve is in the lead.

11-20-08 02:06 PM
    i played with my friends pearl before i got my curve and im so glad with my decission! The curves screen is so awesome and the qwerty keyboard is amazing just everything is awesome with it!!
    11-20-08 02:18 PM
    For most users it all comes down to size, that's about it. Both devices share the same capabilities and there is nothing that one can do but not the other.(8120~8320) I have a pearl and am very happy with it. Although not perfect the sure type works very well imo. Mine is loaded with more than fifteen 3rd party apps and it runs well. So much so that It has never locked up on me after the memory optimization (15MB Available) and have not turned the device off for the last 3 weeks.
    Curve's more memory and wide screen may come handy if you'll be spending hours looking at a tiny screen and need a qwerty keyboard because you can't manage the suretype.
    Do handle both and use them as much as possible to choose the one right for you.
    Last edited by tempered; 11-20-08 at 02:52 PM.
    11-20-08 02:36 PM
    I had the 8100 Pearl for about a year before I switched to the Curve. Since the Pearl was my first smartphone I instantly fell in love with it but after playing with my friend's Curve I decided I had to have one because I loved the bigger screen. The full keyboard was hard to get used to at first because I was so used to the suretype (which I loved) but after about a week I was hooked on the Curve. The screen size and the GPS won me over. I love having the GPS on my 8310 because I constantly get lost while driving and it's an awesome feature to have.
    11-20-08 02:37 PM
    At the time I got my 8130 pearl it and the 8830WE were the only choices from the only carrier with coverage to my home. Pricing of $50 got me into my first ever phone/smartphone/PDA. I had it for 6 months and was a great starter. But once I held a curve I knew it was more for me. I have bigger hands and the curves rubber sides felt more secure in my hand. At times I feared the pearl would slip through my fingers.

I'm not a traditional typist, I use two fingers on a standard keyboard. Funny but on the pearl I was constantly fighting with the suretype. I feel more comfortable on the full QWERTY knowing that when I hit A it will be an A and not maybe an E (are and see Grrr).

The larger screen is icing on the cake. But what really has made the curve the most enjoyable device is the larger device memory. I spent more time worried about memory then anything else. Never could install may apps because I'd be down to far. I've had the curve for almost one week now. I have installed any app or game that I cared to try and still I sit around 36mb free at any time. It just feels like I'm free to really do whatever I want to try.

As I said the pearl was a nice starter. In fact my daughter is now the proud owner of it. But for me its the curve. Next up I'll be looking out for the javelin or whatever the CDMA version ends up being.
    11-20-08 03:11 PM
    Awsome! Thanks all. Guess who just got the 8330...take your time, I'll wait...WOOOOHOOOO!!!!

Love the bigger screen and the full QWERTY keyboard so far. Although I didn't mind the suretype, I just felt like my fingers were too big for those little sleak buttons. I've only had the Pearl for just under 2 months now, so I'm really not all that attached to it. I got a feeling I'm gonna love this Curve a lot more.
    11-20-08 07:02 PM
    Congrats!!! You will love it

11-20-08 07:21 PM
    Well, I must be ******** or something. I am trying to get on the internet, but I don't have the "go to" option in the menu. I can't navigate away from the services and settings screen.

Nevermind, got it.
    Last edited by Dirtbag; 11-20-08 at 09:19 PM.
    11-20-08 08:29 PM
    I have pretty much every model from the 7100 on (most of them are used for helping people at work with theirs) I never could get into the suretype thing, so after having a curve with the extended battery (made it easier to hold onto) for almost a year I upgraded to the 8800, Thought I would have trouble with the keyboard on it..................BUT, no I actually like it better than the curve now, so much so that I bought another one on ebay and set it up for my G/F who I had given my curve to when I got the 8800.

It all boils down to a matter of personal preference, in other words choose the one you like better and feel more comfortable with.
    11-20-08 11:42 PM
    Get a curve, they're way sexeh.

11-21-08 01:27 AM
    Oh, why hello there, I see you got one already... I should read more.

11-21-08 01:31 AM
    Awsome! Thanks all. Guess who just got the 8330...take your time, I'll wait...WOOOOHOOOO!!!!

Love the bigger screen and the full QWERTY keyboard so far. Although I didn't mind the suretype, I just felt like my fingers were too big for those little sleak buttons. I've only had the Pearl for just under 2 months now, so I'm really not all that attached to it. I got a feeling I'm gonna love this Curve a lot more.
    :sigh:

Dirtbag, I'd hate to say it (dont tellem in the 8130 forum) but im lookin on craigslist for an 8330 now
    11-21-08 07:53 AM
    yay.....

you wont need 2 months to be hooked, i say hmm maybe 1 week max.
    11-22-08 05:11 PM
    Two days and I was hooked.

11-22-08 05:20 PM
    I already can't put it down! Just gotta figure all the shortcuts and the layout all over again.

11-22-08 07:13 PM
    It's been 4 days for me and I must say.... I'M LOVIN IT!!!

11-22-08 09:19 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD